PDA

View Full Version : Pencil Trick

HateSwirls
09-03-2013, 05:53 AM
I saw someone use a pencil with a small piece of sandpaper super glued at the end of it and tried it.
I used 2k paper.
Some kid ran into it with their bike, the handle bars didn't have hand grips so it put an ugly but small scratch on the tire cover.

It worked out really well,instead of sanding a large area I used the tip of the eraser with the sandpaper to workout the scratch, I can't use a DA right now so compounded it by hand,I couldn't be more happy with the results.
I took my time, I sanded a little at a time until it was gone.
Great tip I read on the forum and put it to use.

If you have a small scratch give it a try, you'll like the way it works for you.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/vpcajun/20130902_142700_zpsea62f9f2.jpg

BillE
09-03-2013, 06:44 AM
Glad you brought this up, using the pencil.

Yesterday I came up with another trick 'with the pencil.'

I used a piece of 3M Mounting tape. Put a piece of sandpaper on one side of the tape. Cut out the pieces you need, remove the tape liner, stick it to the pencil, dowel, whatever.

Using the mounting tape, it has a bit of 'spongeyness', which makes it nice on just a piece of dowel, etc.

Bill

Calendyr
09-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Ya Larry used this in a recent episode of Drive Clean. Just a trick for you, I see from your picture you cut the sandpaper in a kind of circular form. You can use a paper punch, the type you use to make holes in paper sheet to put them in a binder, to get a perfect circle in 1 second flat.

statusdetailing
09-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Ya Larry used this in a recent episode of Drive Clean. Just a trick for you, I see from your picture you cut the sandpaper in a kind of circular form. You can use a paper punch, the type you use to make holes in paper sheet to put them in a binder, to get a perfect circle in 1 second flat.

+ 1 on the paper hole punch. Perfect fit.

JSou
09-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Very sweet trick. Had to do this on a detail I did this past weekend. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

hernandez.art13
09-03-2013, 11:51 AM
I saw Larry do this and seemed to work out great. Glad to hear that it worked out for you too.

I'll let my family know about this too.

Thanks

HateSwirls
09-03-2013, 04:21 PM
I didn't have a hole punch so this had to work and it did.
Saves from excessive sanding.

KillaCam
09-03-2013, 05:10 PM
I prefer using a pink block eraser. Better distribution of pressure.
Actually I've tried both methods and I prefer just using the tip of my finger even better. I think mike has an article on this. It's called feather sanding or something along those lines. You have more control using just your finger tip and sandpaper.

Detailing by M
09-03-2013, 06:27 PM
cool.
And there are these on the market know as "De-Nibbers" to remove very little Dirt Nibs after a fresh paint job.

sweatthedetails
09-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Great tip, i need to try it.

MiCVPI
09-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Done this before, works well.

Detailed Josh
09-11-2013, 10:08 PM
cool.
And there are these on the market know as "De-Nibbers" to remove very little Dirt Nibs after a fresh paint job.

I was thinking the same thing. Very clever as you've basically made you're own denibbing block, but even smaller and with a constant pressure/cushion backing! I'll definitely have to remember this. Hole punch, and several new pencils attached with various grits lol. I know 3M has an expensive denibbing tool that is motorized and does something similar.

HateSwirls
09-12-2013, 05:59 AM
I was thinking of putting the pencil in my drill and go slow with it, slowly turn the sandpaper without any pressure.
I'm talking about when I use touch up paint on very small areas.

BTW

It wasn't my idea, I saw it on a video ,can't think of the guys name but IMO he's one of the best paint correctors out there.
He's one of those guys that stands out:dblthumb2:

I was thinking the same thing. Very clever as you've basically made you're own denibbing block, but even smaller and with a constant pressure/cushion backing! I'll definitely have to remember this. Hole punch, and several new pencils attached with various grits lol. I know 3M has an expensive denibbing tool that is motorized and does something similar.