PDA

View Full Version : Swirls are gone, how to deal with the deeper stuff?

Pages : [1] 2

Doyle4281
09-02-2013, 09:01 PM
I recently began doing some minor corrections on my black sapphire BMW, however the results are less than expected. The car had light swirling, water spot etching, and random scratches here and there. None of the imperfections can be caught on your fingernail and most need to be searched for to really notice, unless directly in the sun. I started with a thorough was with the lance and Chemical guys CW&G, which is great, and followed it up with the claybar. The products I am working with are the XMT line, #3, #2, 360, and CCS orange, white, and grey pads. I started with a test section with the 360 and white pad, and the results were not very noticeable. This was most likely due to technique, but I tried tried to duplicate the instructions accurately. I then did another test section with the #2 and orange pad, this time applying just enough pressure to allow the da to still spin on speed 5, and I did 5-7 passes until the polish was left looking like dried milk. After this the results were better, the fine swirling was gone, however the light random scratches and water spot etching was still there. Like I said, there is nothing deep, but they are able to be seen under the light. Am I over estimating the level of correction I can get with the DA, or should I step it up to the XMT #3 with the orange pad? Being new at this, I don't want to harm the clear, or try to polish imperfections out that are not possible to remove. I tried to snap some pictures, but I was unsuccessful showing the defects. Anyone familiar with the XMT line that could comment or advise? Thanks

Setec Astronomy
09-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Sounds like you are using too much product, for one thing. Removing defects takes a long time, you need slow arm speed, adequate pressure, etc. I haven't used those XMT compounds/polishes, but from looking at the chart if you have significant defects you'll have to step up to the #3 IMO.

Doyle4281
09-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I had thought about that as well. I have heard that you are supposed to polish the XMT until it is gone, but it never seemed to completely go away. I am using a thin X across the pad and working in about 18"x18" area, slow arm speed, 50% overlap, and usually 7 section passes.

hernandez.art13
09-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Are you noticing RIDS now?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24045-rids-definition-rids-story-behind-term.html

Doyle4281
09-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Yes, they would appear to be RIDS, but they seem so fine, only slightly deeper than the swirls. The water spot etching is still there as well, some of them blotches, others small droplet size. I really wish I could capture it in a picture, but I can't seem to get them show. I would step it up to #3 and the orange pad, but I am not familiar with the degree I can go with polishing before harming the clear.

To anyone familiar with the XMT products, are you supposed to work the product until it is completely gone or just cloudy?

hernandez.art13
09-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Check this out:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/26917-how-capture-swirls-scratches-etchings-other-surface-defects-your-camera.html

Doyle4281
09-02-2013, 10:10 PM
I'll try to snap some pictures tomorrow

Setec Astronomy
09-02-2013, 10:17 PM
To anyone familiar with the XMT products, are you supposed to work the product until it is completely gone or just cloudy?

It's supposed to start cloudy and you work it until it is clear or gone :dunno:

Doyle4281
09-02-2013, 10:38 PM
It's supposed to start cloudy and you work it until it is clear or gone :dunno:

That is what I gathered from some research, but after 8 section passes, there is still some product visible. I am using an X on the pad, and working on an 18"x18" area. Could it be that the pad is too saturated with polish and is keeping polish on the panel?

parttimer
09-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Don't use an "x" on the pad. From what I have been reading as you work the pad, product moves to the center of the pad. I noticed this over the weekend on my orange flat pad. The edges would be dry but the center would have a goop of product. Use pea sized drops on the outside of the pad. Clean your pad on the fly after each section.

VP Mark
09-03-2013, 07:17 AM
That is what I gathered from some research, but after 8 section passes, there is still some product visible. I am using an X on the pad, and working on an 18"x18" area. Could it be that the pad is too saturated with polish and is keeping polish on the panel?

Lighten up your pressure during the last pass or two. That should allow the polish further break down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Doyle4281
09-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Lighten up your pressure during the last pass or two. That should allow the polish further break down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Thanks guys, I took another shot at it today on my brother Black 2000 CLK430 which had a lot of scratches and swirling. I combined all the suggestions from this thread and the results were much better. I started with an orange pad and XMT #2, but applied less product than before. 4-5 pee size drops away from the center of the pad and working in around 18"x18" areas, the polish was completely gone with 5-6 section passes. The XMT #2 took care of the major swirling, however it appears as if the orange pad may have left behind some scratches. I then decided to go back over everything with the white pad and the XMT 360, which really took care of what was left behind. I am still left with RIDS, but the improvement was amazing. I dont know if it was because of the dramatic difference between the polished panel compared to the unpolished panel, but the polished panel almost seemed to have a slight greyish tint in the sun. Is that what you would refer to as haze? I may go over an area with a grey pad and the Carnuba glaze to see if I can get some more gloss. Thanks for all the help guys.

cmoneyinc
09-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Get yourself a bottle of Menzerna FG400 to try out. You'll be amazed at the results.

Nick McKees37
09-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks guys, I took another shot at it today on my brother Black 2000 CLK430 which had a lot of scratches and swirling. I combined all the suggestions from this thread and the results were much better. I started with an orange pad and XMT #2, but applied less product than before. 4-5 pee size drops away from the center of the pad and working in around 18"x18" areas, the polish was completely gone with 5-6 section passes. The XMT #2 took care of the major swirling, however it appears as if the orange pad may have left behind some scratches. I then decided to go back over everything with the white pad and the XMT 360, which really took care of what was left behind. I am still left with RIDS, but the improvement was amazing. I dont know if it was because of the dramatic difference between the polished panel compared to the unpolished panel, but the polished panel almost seemed to have a slight greyish tint in the sun. Is that what you would refer to as haze? I may go over an area with a grey pad and the Carnuba glaze to see if I can get some more gloss. Thanks for all the help guys.

It sounds like your paint is super soft. I would suggest trying XMT Carnuaba Finishing Glaze to see if it further refines the surface and eliminates any "DA haze."

Doyle4281
09-04-2013, 12:30 PM
It sounds like your paint is super soft. I would suggest trying XMT Carnuaba Finishing Glaze to see if it further refines the surface and eliminates any "DA haze."

Thank you Nick, that is my next step, hopefully it pulls out the gloss. When used with a grey finishing pad, is the Carnuba glaze worked like normal polish or do I use minimal pressure and a faster arm speed?

I may look into other products after trying more combinations with the XMT line. I would really like a pad/polish combination that can cut and finish well in one step.