PDA

View Full Version : air compressor use

Pages : [1] 2

danieledwards12
09-02-2013, 07:07 PM
how often do you mobile guys use an air compressor? im trying to decided if i sould use one of if i could use that money to buy other items i would rather have.

statusdetailing
09-02-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm not mobile, but I can't live without an air compressor.

Pureshine
09-02-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm not mobile, but I can't live without an air compressor.

:iagree: even if you get a small one it really helps.

danieledwards12
09-02-2013, 08:35 PM
thank you for your input. can you two fellas give me examples where you find them helpful? like in what ways do you use them?

KillaCam
09-02-2013, 08:40 PM
thank you for your input. can you two fellas give me examples where you find them helpful? like in what ways do you use them?

Cleaning mf pads, cleaning dust out of small crevices or compound etc, tornador, pumping up tires on cars, lawn mower, bicycles, air nailer, impact wrench, pumping up floats for the pool, and I'm about to try using it with a spray gun attachment to apply tire shine. They're very useful. Once you get one you will wonder how you did stuff around the house/garage without it.

statusdetailing
09-02-2013, 09:22 PM
If not for anything else, cleaning microfiber pads. I use them to air purge the entire vehicle before detailing.

Aids in the drying process and blows out crevices that hold water.

Some tight spots in interiors are virtually impossible to clean without compress air.

I find it almost impossible to clean under seats without a blow gun.

Blowing excess water out of engine compartments after degreasing.

I could go on and on.

The bigger the compressor you can get the better. I have a 60 gallon porter cable in my shop and it runs a lot!

SuperiorAutoLLC
09-02-2013, 10:40 PM
In addition to what Jeremy said, my compressor is useful in the following ways:

-Powers my Tornador
-Purges dirt and sand out of floor mats
-Dries lugnut areas
-Dries door jambs
-Inflates tires in case your trailer encounters some road hazards
-Many, many more uses

I carry a 30-gallon in my trailer and use it daily.

Pureshine
09-02-2013, 11:13 PM
If not for anything else, cleaning microfiber pads. I use them to air purge the entire vehicle before detailing.

Aids in the drying process and blows out crevices that hold water.

Some tight spots in interiors are virtually impossible to clean without compress air.

I find it almost impossible to clean under seats without a blow gun.

Blowing excess water out of engine compartments after degreasing.

I could go on and on.

The bigger the compressor you can get the better. I have a 60 gallon porter cable in my shop and it runs a lot!

:iagree: I have a Master Blaster to dry cars but use my compressor for everything else.

tuscarora dave
09-02-2013, 11:38 PM
I couldn't justify the cost of using MF pads if I'd have to horse around changing pads constantly because I didn't have compressed air to clean and cool them, and the MF pads save me way too much time to be without.

I'd be willing to guess that at least 50% of my clients have low tire pressure when I get their cars, every job I do the tire pressure gets properly adjusted so my clients are safer.

Everything all the other guys said they use theirs for, so do I. (except for Tornador)

erichaley
09-03-2013, 06:06 AM
I'd be willing to guess that at least 50% of my clients have low tire pressure when I get their cars, every job I do the tire pressure gets properly adjusted so my clients are safer.

That is awesome that you do that for your clients, but couldn't that be a potential liability issue? What if the have nitrogen in their tires? (I almost typed 'hydrogen' instead of 'nitrogen'... LOL)

tuscarora dave
09-03-2013, 07:11 AM
That is awesome that you do that for your clients, but couldn't that be a potential liability issue? What if the have nitrogen in their tires? (I almost typed 'hydrogen' instead of 'nitrogen'... LOL)

Then they drive off with air/nitrogen mixture in their tires but at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended air pressure. I'd imagine letting them drive off with tires half flat would be a potential liability issue as well. It's a risky world we live in. :props:

Setec Astronomy
09-03-2013, 07:23 AM
That is awesome that you do that for your clients, but couldn't that be a potential liability issue? What if they have nitrogen in their tires?

I don't want to start a whole thing...but you do realize that air is 79-80% nitrogen already? And that many of the nitrogen "machines" that tire dealers use provide nitrogen that is only 93-95% pure (meaning you are getting "air" with 95% nitrogen).

There was a thread about this some time ago, I believe, and someone posted a link to studies have shown that the more important factor is the amount of moisture in the tire fill (for pressure stability). Also if you are worried about the partial fill of air that TD just put in someone's tires, if the PR is correct, the small amount of oxygen that Dave put in there should leak out before the nitrogen, so it will be back to "all" nitrogen eventually.

Nitrogen isn't a bad idea (if it's dry and has no oxygen)...it's just the way it is marketed it's just an expensive gimmick. And as TD noted, having the tire pressure correct is a lot more important than what the "air" composition is in your tires.

tuscarora dave
09-03-2013, 07:32 AM
I don't want to start a whole thing...but you do realize that air is 79-80% nitrogen already? And that many of the nitrogen "machines" that tire dealers use provide nitrogen that is only 93-95% pure (meaning you are getting "air" with 95% nitrogen).

There was a thread about this some time ago, I believe, and someone posted a link to studies have shown that the more important factor is the amount of moisture in the tire fill (for pressure stability). Also if you are worried about the partial fill of air that TD just put in someone's tires, if the PR is correct, the small amount of oxygen that Dave put in there should leak out before the nitrogen, so it will be back to "all" nitrogen eventually.

Nitrogen isn't a bad idea (if it's dry and has no oxygen)...it's just the way it is marketed it's just an expensive gimmick. And as TD noted, having the tire pressure correct is a lot more important than what the "air" composition is in your tires.
Thanks Mike, when I saw you posted behind me I knew it would be fortified with factual data. I didn't really know that stuff about nitrogen/compressed air, but it is good to know I'm not putting people at risk by inflating their tires with air.

Logan Powers
09-03-2013, 09:25 AM
What generator are y'all using for these big compressors in your trailers?

statusdetailing
09-03-2013, 10:51 AM
I think a lot of guys are using Hondas.