PDA

View Full Version : Compound and paint combos

Ep3rr
09-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Ok title kinda sounds weird...

What my question is, what compounds/polishes work best with specific paints i.e. Benz=hard paint, honda=soft etc.

In your experience, what works best for each manufactures paint?

Pureshine
09-02-2013, 08:31 PM
The only real way to tell what works is always a test spot. For most soft paint I use Meg's D300 and for harder paint I use FG400 most the time. Meg's 105 is great to have around for harder paint. I use Meg's MF pads for polishing and foam pads to finish with.

cmoneyinc
09-02-2013, 08:59 PM
FG400 is the KING for harder clear coats.

DazzleFX
09-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Just ordered me some FG400 after finding out how hard silver BMW paint is. Looking forward to testing it out with various pad choices vs some other compounds I have on hand like HD Cut, Uno, OPT hyper compound spray. Still a newbie in practice... :)

cmoneyinc
09-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Just ordered me some FG400 after finding out how hard silver BMW paint is. Looking forward to testing it out with various pad choices vs some other compounds I have on hand like HD Cut, Uno, OPT hyper compound spray. Still a newbie in practice... :)

I've used FG400 with only foam pads so far, but I have used it on different types of foam: CG Hex-Logic & LC Hydrotech pads. Worked awesome with both on Mercedes paint.

Ep3rr
09-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Just ordered some fg400, sf4000 and m205, as well as a boat load of mf's as eShine is having a BOGO on one of them. And a few other nic-nacs like soap and clay.

Can't wait to try them out!

hernandez.art13
09-06-2013, 01:24 AM
We used this for removing wet sanding on repaints at the body shop.

http://www.autogeek.net/body-shop-compound.html

Meguiar's 105 did not have enough cutting power to remove sanding marks on a whole wet sanded front end, with a Rotary and wool pad.

Maybe a 5" by 5" wet sand.

But not the whole wet sanded passengers side door, two front fenders, whole hood and front bumper using a wool pad and rotary on a repaint, from my experience, but others are far more advanced so they can probably pull it off.

M105 is good for defect removal (heavy swirls), or really dull or oxidized paint that needs to be polished out.

M205 is good for light polishing paint, but won't really remove heavy swirls.

IMO

Oh and the manufacturer was PPG :)