PDA

View Full Version : what should i do about this??

Pages : [1] 2

k20z3kid
06-13-2007, 01:15 AM
so i attempted to take a picture of it on my car, but i could not manage to get it to show up on camera. but after doing some browsing i found a thread on autopia and i hope there is nothing wrong with posting it.

Bug Etching or Paint Defect?? (PIC) - Autopia Car Detailing Forum (http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/23773-bug-etching-paint-defect-pic.html?highlight=pitting)

i am experiencing that on the hood of my car. its all over the hood, it has always been there but i did not think much of it. my car is a 2006 so i dont think it should look this way because it looks like something other than rock chips because its pretty consistent throughout the entire hood. any ideas? you think warranty would cover a repaint if needed?

Nica
06-13-2007, 09:10 AM
That dosen't look good but I wander if wet sanding them down would take care of them? Are they really deep? wait...it's a 2006 the I'm assuming it has clear coat on it so forget the wet sanding probably a re-paint...my opinion would be to have it done under warranty, that would mean going back to the dealership and showing them the imperfections on the paint.

Interesting, I'd be curious to see how you make out there.

I hope I helped a little.

quantim0
06-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Looks like the front of my car, but a little worse. There are thousands of little pits all over the front bumper. I think they are just from driving on the highway and having sand/rocks hitting the bumper. My car is an 06 and I have owned it the whole time, so I know it isn't from bugs being left on too long.

ltoman
06-13-2007, 10:09 AM
I can't imagine the dealer doing anything about it unless you noticed on the lot when you bought it. :o They will assume you have had it, you did it.

I have never seen anything quite like that - it does remind me of a bad repaint job I saw once. Is it possible someone repainted that hood themselves?:confused: :confused:

Anyhow, I am certain if you lived by some of the detailers on here you could get it fixed, at least to a degree. There are some people on here who fix stuff to look beautiful that looked hopeless before. Just my two cents - and good luck!!

Lauren:)

D
06-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Take it back to the stealership for sure.

Al-53
06-13-2007, 10:21 AM
if the chips are from the front to the back near the windshield...it would be hard for it to be rock chips..as they usally are in the front 1/4 of the hood most times depending on the contour of the hood... thats why they install the clear bra on that section....it would be best to get a picture up to see exactly what it is.....try to get one of the whole area effected and also some close ups....then may be able to see whats going on....could be a paint defect also...it happens...

If in dout of what it is...go to a reputable body shop and have them look at it and see what it is....

Al

guidosrx8
06-13-2007, 10:37 AM
if the chips are from the front to the back near the windshield...it would be hard for it to be rock chips..as they usally are in the front 1/4 of the hood most times depending on the contour of the hood... thats why they install the clear bra on that section....it would be best to get a picture up to see exactly what it is.....try to get one of the whole area effected and also some close ups....then may be able to see whats going on....could be a paint defect also...it happens...

If in dout of what it is...go to a reputable body shop and have them look at it and see what it is....

Al

+1 then you can take it to the dealership with some knowledge of what it is and your chances of getting it fixed under warrenty are better

ltoman
06-13-2007, 10:48 AM
+1 then you can take it to the dealership with some knowledge of what it is and your chances of getting it fixed under warrenty are better

I can not see how a dealership is going to take liability for that if you have had the car off the lot a while. It just does not make sense.

My dealer has done unheard of stuff as far as great customer service, but that might be pushing your luck....

I guess we shall see.

How long did you say you have had that car?

Al-53
06-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Paint on a car is warranteed for 5 years....if its defect they will fix it....if not he's out of luck....if the whole hood is covered from the front to windshield cowl it may not be rock chips..it could be a condition called solvent pop....where if the panel was not cleaned good before a paint the solvents will vent thru the paint causing pits.....

thats why i say go the a body shop and get there expert evaluation and then if a defect you have your ammo to begin with your claim...its a 06 so its pretty new....

but a few pictures would be nice to see problem areas

AL

k20z3kid
06-13-2007, 11:19 AM
ive had the car for a tad bit over a year. at first i thought it was rock chips as well but it is very consistent throughout the entire hood. im gonna attempt to pull it out in the sun today to see if i could catch it on camera. it looks exactly like the pic in that thread i posted except the pits are not as deep. i appreciate the help guys! if any other ideas come up please share :)

edit: i thought i might add that it cant be felt with a fingernail or anything. the paint feels as smooth as the rest of the car (when i keep up with claying the car that is lol).

Grimm
06-13-2007, 12:15 PM
I bet it's the paint under the clear like AL-53 said. My hood has the same thing in a few random spots from the repaint I had at the beginning of the year. I have to look really close to find them.

When you take a picture, try putting your finger on the hood. I've found that if I do that, it gives the camera a good focal point. Then remove your finger and take the picture. That helps me a lot when trying to get good pictures of the paint surface. Otherwise the camera is trying to focus on the reflections and whatever else.

Al-53
06-13-2007, 12:28 PM
here is a little info I dug up on solvent pop if thats what you may have....it varies what it looks like but this gives you and Idea....

Reference: Solvent Popping - Troubleshooting (http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/reference/troubleshooting_guide/solvent_popping/index.cfm)

wonder if the hood was repaint due to shipping damage....

hope this helps you.....

AL

k20z3kid
06-13-2007, 01:05 PM
alright so i did the best i could to snap shots of it. so here ya go! :).

http://i8.tinypic.com/6ajaudk.jpg

http://i11.tinypic.com/62iaob5.jpg

if this is under the clearcoat i wonder if i could get it repainted under warranty.

Al-53
06-13-2007, 01:12 PM
looks like solvent pop..hard to really see but the last pic shows the craters....not rock chips....take it and have it looked at....may have been repainted....finish looks kind of hazy also...not very clear and mirror like...

have it looked at....

Al

k20z3kid
06-13-2007, 01:27 PM
looks like solvent pop..hard to really see but the last pic shows the craters....not rock chips....take it and have it looked at....may have been repainted....finish looks kind of hazy also...not very clear and mirror like...

have it looked at....

Al

i believe the finish looks hazy because i used the trick that grimm suggested with my finger lol. so it was focused on my finger and not so much the car paint so the rest got put out of focus.