PDA

View Full Version : Question/Problem about glass microfiber cloth

Pages : [1] 2

pattersonbrl
09-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been using glass specific microfiber cloths to clean my windows on my car. I've been using two cloths... one to wipe the cleaner on the window and another dry cloth to wipe up any residue to avoid streaks. I've been finding that when I wipe the window with the dry cloth the cloth seems to "stick" or "catch" the window instead of gliding along the window. Does anyone know why this is happening. It's a pain in the butt because I don't want any steaks in my windows. I usually use stoners invisible glass on my windows, but sometimes just water and I still get the same issue. If anyone can help give me some advice I would it would be greatly appreciated!

Setec Astronomy
09-01-2013, 10:58 PM
When you say "glass-specific" are you talking about towels meant for use specifically on glass, or that you are segregating your glass towels?

Flat weave or waffle weave are usually the best on glass.

pattersonbrl
09-01-2013, 11:05 PM
they are towels specific for glass. I think they are zwipes brand. I've heard mixed reviews of some people saying they streak. It is a flat weave I believe. The dry microfiber that I follow with seems to stick on the glass. Is it necessary to follow with a dry microfiber after cleaning the window with the damp microfiber?

Setec Astronomy
09-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Dry MF's do tend to "stick" to the glass and pull fibers off. Usually glass cleaners have a bit of lubricant in them, the best technique is not to wipe totally dry but leave the glass slightly damp so the towel doesn't grab. As long as the residue is glass cleaner only and not dirt it should dry clean (hopefully). What I'm saying is the second towel can/should be slightly damp/wet so it doesn't grab. Or there should be enough glass cleaner left on the glass so the second towel doesn't grab.

af90
09-01-2013, 11:10 PM
I personally don't, I just follow with a clean side of the towel. Are you doing this outside or on hot glass?

Setec Astronomy
09-01-2013, 11:12 PM
I personally don't, I just follow with a clean side of the towel.

Yeah, or that.

pattersonbrl
09-01-2013, 11:21 PM
No, I usually clean the windows either in my garage or just when the sun is coming up or going down. I always try to avoid cleaning my car when it's hot out. I'm wondering if it could have just been the weather today. It was extremely humid here in CT. That is good to know. I'm going to try that tomorrow and just turn the cloth over and see if that helps.
If I have some haze on the inside of the window would an iso/distilled water mix be okay to use to take care of the haze?

af90
09-01-2013, 11:28 PM
That should work to clean it up. The only thing to avoid is a cleaner that can damage tint. Look up CarPro fast glass towels for interior glass care, only uses water.

cleanmycorolla
09-01-2013, 11:46 PM
That should work to clean it up. The only thing to avoid is a cleaner that can damage tint. Look up CarPro fast glass towels for interior glass care, only uses water.

Phenomenal towel for the inside and outside!. Also known as the KD Cloth :xyxthumbs:

OP have you ever clayed or polished your windows? You should, there's probably a film on there you just can't see. Perhaps that making the towel catch or grab.

pattersonbrl
09-01-2013, 11:59 PM
I've never polished the inside of my windows but I've cleaned them a bunch of times, but at night under certain conditions it does seem like there could be a slight haze. Is using a specific window polish the only way to truly get haze out? how do you flay windows?

cleanmycorolla
09-02-2013, 12:14 AM
I've never polished the inside of my windows but I've cleaned them a bunch of times, but at night under certain conditions it does seem like there could be a slight haze. Is using a specific window polish the only way to truly get haze out? how do you flay windows?

If there's a residue on the inside you can use detailing clay and see if it removes whatever is there. There's glass restorer products on the site to polish with it if there's heavy grime in there.

pattersonbrl
09-02-2013, 12:43 AM
I have detailing clay... I'll give that a shot tomorrow and see if that makes it better. The car is still fairly new but I've always noticed a very slight haze... I read on some other forum on here about platisizing or something where the dash gives off gasses that get onto the windshield. I'm wondering if that could be causing it as well though I really don't use any detailing sprays on my dash. Anyhow I'll try the clay tomorrow and let you know if I get any better results. Thanks everyone for the tips/advice.

spence
09-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Use a short nap mf towel, spray the Stoners on the towel, not on the glass. After wiping the glass with the wet side of the towel, use the dry side of the towel to dry the glass. In my experience spraying the Stoners on the towel, will keep the towel from sticking and clean the glass without leaving smears.

Hazcat
09-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Use a short nap mf towel, spray the Stoners on the towel, not on the glass. After wiping the glass with the wet side of the towel, use the dry side of the towel to dry the glass. In my experience spraying the Stoners on the towel, will keep the towel from sticking and clean the glass without leaving smears.
I use the waffle weave glass towels with Stoners and have good success and not much effort. It would take a lot of recommendations from people here to get me to try any other method. Sometimes I just use a damp MF towel if it just a touch up.

psnt1ol
09-02-2013, 10:01 PM

+1 awesome product.