PDA

View Full Version : MF pads on the Flex 3401?

Pages : [1] 2

Corey@OptimalDetailing
09-01-2013, 11:23 AM
MF pads on the Flex 3401? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/69898-mf-pads-flex-3401-a.html)

Here's a problem I'm running into.

I recently purchased my Flex 3401 and some LC Hybrid pads. I am really enjoying using the Flex so far, unfortunately I've had to go back to the trusty 'ol PC and Megs MF combo for cutting.

It seems like my orange Hybrid pads and M105 just aren't getting the job done. Mind you the past 2 vehicles were a black C5 Corvette (very hard) and a repainted Fox body Mustang (even harder). I purchased the Hybrid pads because everyone said they were legit, which I have enjoyed using the blue pads for finishing off with M205.

I have FG400 in my cart for my next ordered, but is there any other combos, possibly with foam pads, that will cut well or better than the Megs MF pads on the Flex?

I personally prefer foam pads on the Flex, but I know the PC/MF pad combo cuts well, it's just more time consuming and I didn't buy the Flex so it could sit there all the time!

af90
09-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Have you tried the MF pads on the Flex? I've heard both that they don't work well and that they do work well. No experience for me though.

Corey@OptimalDetailing
09-01-2013, 11:35 AM
I haven't tried the Megs MF pads specifically because they already get pretty warm on the PC, I can only imagine how hot they'll get with the Flex. I may try them this afternoon but I'd hate for one to fail due to heat. I prefer foam, but the MF cut so well.

Chris@AutoCleanse
09-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Use the thick ones for the FLEX, not the thin ones. To me they handle better. They will handle the heat buildup better.

loudog2
09-01-2013, 12:08 PM
I thought the Megs MF pads don't work well, but the optimum and LC MF pads work better for DA polishers. I will look at past threads to make sure.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Don't bother with mf pads on the Flex. They don't play well with the characteristics of the machine.

Instead pick up the purple hybrid wool pads and use those along with the FG400.

Corey@OptimalDetailing
09-01-2013, 12:39 PM
And that's all I have read, just a tad nervous for going with the purple wool because I currently can't afford a paint thickness gauge right now. I will certainly look into ordering one on my next order from AG.

JHL88
09-01-2013, 12:45 PM
I actually just used the Adam's MF pads on my 3401 and they cut amazingly. If you get MF pads for the flex get one that has a thick pads, not the thin ones like someone above mentioned.

JHL88
09-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Don't bother with mf pads on the Flex. They don't play well with the characteristics of the machine.

I disagree. I think it has a lot to do with what pads you are using.

Detailing by M
09-01-2013, 12:47 PM
MF pads will work fine.
MFs are usually all I use.
I never had a problem with them on my Flex.
The only thing you can't use a MF on is rotary and I'm sure I could if I had to. But that's me.

Don't heat these pads up, switch them out often, buy a bunch of them.
MF pads ROCK! Learn how to use them and you'll be amazed at the results.

SonOfOC
09-01-2013, 01:03 PM

This is correct. It does not matter what MF you use on the Flex 3401, that same MF would perform better on a traditional DA. Sure the B&S MF works well on the 3401, but it still works better on a traditional DA.

As for OP super hard paint, use the purple hybrid wool pad with FG400 or M101 for the RIDS and heavier defects.

Corey@OptimalDetailing
09-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Cool, thanks guys. Like I said I have nothing at all against MF pads, I actually think they perform great and finish down well. Although, I didn't buy the Flex for polishing only. I'll look into the purple wool and other MF pads. Already have more Meg MF correction pads in my cart as I only have a few currently, so I'll just add some new ones and try them out!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-01-2013, 07:47 PM
This is correct. It does not matter what MF you use on the Flex 3401, that same MF would perform better on a traditional DA. Sure the B&S MF works well on the 3401, but it still works better on a traditional DA.

As for OP super hard paint, use the purple hybrid wool pad with FG400 or M101 for the RIDS and heavier defects.

Agreed. I played with a few Meg's, optimum, and Lake Country mf pads on my 3401 and decided that they are better suited to a traditional DA.

Hybrid purple wool, 3401, and some FG400 is king for killing nasty defects.

greatwhitenorth
09-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Agreed. I played with a few Meg's, optimum, and Lake Country mf pads on my 3401 and decided that they are better suited to a traditional DA.

Hybrid purple wool, 3401, and some FG400 is king for killing nasty defects.

Thanks
This post has settled three days of debating pads for fg400 for me!

Corey@OptimalDetailing
09-01-2013, 08:21 PM
I assume you all are going with the 6" wool?