PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang Sealant and Smearing

jones2416
08-31-2013, 11:22 PM
I had to detail my car this weekend. My wife got down some boxes from the rafters in the garage and well shifted some others so Friday morning I woke up to nice long scratches in my hood :).. Anyway I figured I could use it as an excuse to spend the holiday weekend working on her.

I have a black 2013 ATS. I use Wolfgang Paint Cleaner (did a full correction.. not sure I will ever own another black car cause that was a pain in the A$$). The next process I use the Wolfgang Glaze then I use the paint sealant. Tomorrow I plan on topping it with either Fuzion or Purple Haze but I hit a problem.

The paint was perfect after the Glaze no film or residue other then some dusting from the cleaner process. I applied the Sealant to the hood and front quarter panels made sure it was dry and although it came off nicely it left a residue. Its like oily or something like I could write me name in it sort of the same effect when using a smart phone for a while.

I thought I might be putting it on to thick or took it off to soon so I applied a thin coat (which is hard since this stuff goes a long way) and I let it sit for a few hours on the passenger front and rear doors.. Same thing. So I just finished the rest of the car and called it a night and figured I could get some smarter people to help me.

Quick detailer seems to help some but does not completely help the issue. I am using a DA Polisher with a Yellow / Orange Cut. Black Glaze and red wax pads. I really could use some help. My car looks like a oily mess.

theblob640
09-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Yup, had the same exact experience but for me it wasn't necessarily smearing, felt very oily, kind of like when cooking oil is on a counter surface and you wipe your finger through it. I have a thread about that experience.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant opinions/questions (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/63511-wolfgang-deep-gloss-paint-sealant-opinions-questions.html)

Wait until a fine layer of dust gets on the car and something accidentally slides against the car. It will look like tar actually got on it instead but can easily be wiped away with a QD, just doesn't look good when dust gets smeared.

The next wash, that oily feeling should be gone.

Boudin
09-01-2013, 06:18 AM
I have had that problem also when it is really humid outside. It will buff off but will leaves a residue. I usually wait until the next day and after it has sat in the sun I will bring it back in and hit it with a QD to remove the residue.