PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen this with GTechniq EXO?

Pages : [1] 2

sinking
08-31-2013, 09:51 PM
A few months ago I decided to try out some coatings. I was still a little skeptical so I just did some panels on each of our cars to compare to the usual waxes.

On my fiances car I have found a strange issue. Cars here in central Texas get very dusty and I believe it has a high clay content. Then, we will get a very light rain. This pastes that clay dusts on the cars like cheetah spots. When I get the chance to wash the car ONLY the panel with the EXO on it will have etchings the shapes of those dust spots. Normally after sitting in the sun for a while the spots will level out but after washing today and being out and about in the car the spots have still not leveled off.

I am curious if anybody else has experienced this before I go and apply to the whole car.

It's very difficult to get a picture of the spots but you can kinda see them here (look around the reflection of the light). Also note that no amount of quick detailer will remove them.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/JJH3/phone/20130831_215252_zpsef5b18a6.jpg?t=1378004022

KillaCam
08-31-2013, 11:06 PM
So waterspots etched the surface? Maybe try DG squeaky clean or dp prep polish.

hernandez.art13
09-01-2013, 12:58 AM
These? (Just trying to help)

Zoomed them in for you

Also subscribed

Classicvanity
09-01-2013, 06:14 AM
Contact the guys at Gtechniq and see if they have a "reason" for the spotting or a way to treat the spots. Sorry I could not be more help. I am in Texas too so I would love to see how you remedy this issue.

ntwillie1
09-01-2013, 06:54 AM
I have exo v1 applied on my dd and I have not noticed anything like that. I am up in the north east. I only applied a couple of months ago so it's only been through rain and heat so the conditions haven't been the same as yours.

sinking
09-01-2013, 08:51 AM
These? (Just trying to help)

Zoomed them in for you

Also subscribed

Yup, that's it.

Contact the guys at Gtechniq and see if they have a "reason" for the spotting or a way to treat the spots. Sorry I could not be more help. I am in Texas too so I would love to see how you remedy this issue.

I actually did contact them when I first noticed the issue after the first wash. They were quick to reply but had never heard of or seen it before. By the time I went out to take a picture for him it had leveled out and disappeared.

silverfox
09-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Coatings are all about prep prep prep. That surface has to be pratically surgically perfect before applying any coating.

That's the first requirement. The second requirement is proper application including environmental conditions during application.

The third thing is proper removal of any residue or high spots.

All these things have to be done correctly and we don't know enough details to give a reason for what happened. It could be one or several things.

I will say this. I have read more negative stuff about this product having issues than just about any other coating.

sinking
09-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Coatings are all about prep prep prep. That surface has to be pratically surgically perfect before applying any coating.

That's the first requirement. The second requirement is proper application including environmental conditions during application.

The third thing is proper removal of any residue or high spots.

Prep was clay, polish, then a few wipe downs with IPA.

Application was as directed and in the temperature range they require.

This product doesn't seem to have the issue with high spots like I've read about the others.

Andr3wilson
09-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Is this Exo V2 in the vial? I have heard it does this (depending on what batch it was). You may have to polish it off and reapply. Btw IPA wipe down is now where nearly as effective as a Panel Wipe (MS or M600) and removing crud. IPA doesn't break down wax.

sinking
09-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Is this Exo V2 in the vial? I have heard it does this (depending on what batch it was). You may have to polish it off and reapply. Btw IPA wipe down is now where nearly as effective as a Panel Wipe (MS or M600) and removing crud. IPA doesn't break down wax.

This is the spray Exo. I got the panel wipe but stopped using it after the first panel I tried it on. It seemed to soften the paint and scratched it all to hell while leaving it hazy. I had to repolish after using it.

CamaroSS27
09-01-2013, 01:36 PM
what did you apply it with? Sounds like you might of swirled it back up.

sinking
09-01-2013, 03:13 PM
what did you apply it with? Sounds like you might of swirled it back up.

Apply what with? The exo or panel wipe?

BlackHawk
09-01-2013, 05:02 PM
This is the spray Exo. I got the panel wipe but stopped using it after the first panel I tried it on. It seemed to soften the paint and scratched it all to hell while leaving it hazy. I had to repolish after using it.

Judging by what you just said there, that means that whatever polish you are using is filling a lot of the defects. Panel wipe should not and wont "soften paint". Its a really good product to use before applying a coating. It shows you EXACTLY the outcome of your work. Which in your case was marring. Which you then repolished and essentially covered the marring again.

sinking
09-01-2013, 07:17 PM

Judging by what you just said there, that means that whatever polish you are using is filling a lot of the defects. Panel wipe should not and wont "soften paint". Its a really good product to use before applying a coating. It shows you EXACTLY the outcome of your work. Which in your case was marring. Which you then repolished and essentially covered the marring again.

I know what you're saying here but I don't think it was the case here. The only scratches that appeared were in the direction of the wipe when using the panel wipe.

Andr3wilson
09-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Panel wipe won't soften paint. Even pure paint thinner won't soften cured paint. (Yes over time it will damage cc) Either your towel or wiping method. Although what polish were you using?