PDA

View Full Version : Clear-bra adhesive residue removal?

Doyle4281
08-31-2013, 07:31 PM
Hello, I recently removed the clear bra from the front of my car, and I was not able to remove all of the adhesive residue. I used 3M adhesive remover, however there is a section on the hood which I cannot get off. I will be clay-baring and polishing the car tomorrow, if the residue does not come off, will it affect polishing in that area? Thanks all

af90
08-31-2013, 07:44 PM
I would definitely ensure to have a clean surface before polishing. Most clear bras come off in one piece unless you used the spray-on version.

If so, see my review here...brace yourself (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/64919-3m-paint-defender-spray-clear-bra-review-5.html)

I ended up going with many plastic razors. A pressure washer will also help.

Harry Da Hamster
08-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Steam. A cheap laundry steamer will make quick work of it. Window tinters use it to remove old window tint with ease.

Doyle4281
08-31-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks guys, the film came off very easily in large sheets, however there are a few streaks of residue which will not come off. There are no pieces left over, just traces of adhesive residue. I doubt the clay bar will lift it, and don't want to do any harm polishing over it.

Harry Da Hamster
08-31-2013, 08:13 PM
Steam. A cheap laundry steamer will make quick work of it. Window tinters use it to remove old window tint with ease.

Thanks guys, the film came off very easily in large sheets, however there are a few streaks of residue which will not come off. There are no pieces left over, just traces of adhesive residue. I doubt the clay bar will lift it, and don't want to do any harm polishing over it.

???? Use steam!

Doyle4281
08-31-2013, 08:14 PM
???? Use steam!

Thank you, I just dont have access to a steam machine.

lyodbraun
08-31-2013, 08:14 PM
Either use steam or try some WD40 that usually works good..good luck.

Doyle4281
08-31-2013, 08:16 PM
I figured the 3M adhesive remover would do the trick, I guess I will let it saturate a little longer and see if it loosens it up. Thanks guys

Harry Da Hamster
08-31-2013, 08:17 PM
Thank you, I just dont have access to a steam machine.

I don't know if it'll work but if its only a small spot maybe boil water in a kettle and steam it that way. Steam makes very easy work of old adhesive residue.

Doyle4281
08-31-2013, 08:18 PM
I don't know if it'll work but if its only a small spot maybe boil water in a kettle and steam it that way. Steam makes very easy work of old adhesive residue.

Ill certainly look into it if I cannot get through it. Thanks