PDA

View Full Version : DG105 was brutal

Pages : [1] 2

MarkD51
08-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Hi All,
Just earlier, I attempted to begin adding a coat of something on my White Cargo Trailer, and while I did a correction on it some months back, and it was not looking too bad, I did see some evidence of vertical dirt streaks from rain.

So, I figured I needed something with a bit of cleaner, and would offer some good protection. I have an entire cabinet of such products I could've chose, such as Optimum GPS, Meg's Cleaner Wax, as a couple of candidates. I chose DG105.

While I've tried a little of this one day in the past on my Kia, I remember it was pretty easy to use. Not today it wasn't.

I applied by hand, tried to apply as thin a coat as I could, rubbed fairly hard as I wanted to come away with clean paint. I let the product sit for 25 minutes, then began removal with a MF towel.

I couldn't get it off. I rubbed and rubbed and rubbed, and while I got the initial hazing off, I could not easily remove it totally, and just a few square feet section was working me to death. I was soaked.

Temps, and humidity may have played a part, and this stuff made me think back to one time using Zaino Z2, which was just as brutal once. Temps are about 97-98, and humidity high for here, probably 55-60% today.
(This was the "shady" side of the trailer, thankfully I went no further)

I tried thinking of what I could perhaps follow up with, to ease removal, grabbed a bottle of DG Aquawax, sprayed, and tried removing again but no luck, no easier.

Any advice what I might now try? I think if I used Colly 476, it wouldn't have worked me like this. Mark

GTPpilot
08-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Try letting it cure overnight. One thing is for sure. Next time you wash it, it will look fine. Sounds exactly like what happens when I use Zaino under less than perfect conditions. In fact, I just went thru this last weekend. Use a lot of QD and still some remained. Next day...it looked great. Strange stuff. Definitely don't put another coat on tonight...lol.

davidc
08-31-2013, 03:25 PM
Mark, did you mix any 601 in with it. I had 501 do that to me once but it was to much oxidation that I was applying it to. It may not look to bad to you but probably more than 105 can handle. You may have to go to your arsenal and use something like DG 652 to clean up the base first.

Dave

DetailKitty
08-31-2013, 03:58 PM
I find high temps and humidity make or break removing a product. But sometimes you can't be choosy.

KillaCam
08-31-2013, 06:04 PM
Mark, did you mix any 601 in with it. I had 501 do that to me once but it was to much oxidation that I was applying it to. It may not look to bad to you but probably more than 105 can handle. You may have to go to your arsenal and use something like DG 652 to clean up the base first.

Dave

Had the same problem on an oxidized hood. The humidity was also through the roof when I applied it. On clean paint be never had any issues with it though.

MarkD51
08-31-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks folks for the advice, and help.

Maybe like Zaino, and in such hot-humid conditions, this stuff maybe takes forever and a day to dry? I know Z2 used to come with an eyedropper of X-Celerator, or whatever it was called. I think I went through that vial in one application. After that, it was hit or miss with Zaino, sometimes it would come off lickety split, like WGDGPS 3.0, and other times it would work you.

I'm thinking not so much temps, but relative humidity is having a bearing on removal?

Anyway, earlier, I went out there with a more aggressive Terry Cloth Cotton "Dish Towel" in essence. This had a more aggressive bite, and still, there was some hefty rubbing, I rubbed my tookass off, but it looks like I got it all off.

Storm clouds were moving in, and you just cannot predict weather here.

Unless I wash-wax something, then usually, it's a guarantee of rain, winds, dust devils, microbursts, and 500 year events here in "The Land of Enchantment"! LOL

When I got through with the wipe off, the final results looked just beautiful. Not at all saying DG105, or any of the others from DG are somehow flawed, but I think I just got caught at the wrong place at the wrong time trying to do this type of work with this product. Another lesson learned! ;-)

I've wondered often, how Mike Phillips, and others deal with such in Florida, in what's usually a tropical environment? AC in the AG Garage?
Mark

silverfox
08-31-2013, 06:14 PM
Sounds like the paint wasn't clean enough before applying. Something was on the paint.

Klasse Act
08-31-2013, 06:42 PM
I'd never attempt to apply anything when its that hot/humid!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

MarkD51
08-31-2013, 07:05 PM
Sounds like the paint wasn't clean enough before applying. Something was on the paint.

That's possible.

This Trailer sits amidst two tall Italian Cyprus Trees, and I gather these devils were a cause of my two vehicles recently having paint that felt like sandpaper with the baggie test.

That, and this trailer gets cleaned and treated with something usually on a bi-yearly basis.

Last time I did it, about 4-5 months ago, it was with Optimum GPS and the PC7424XP, and then topped with Optimum Opti-Seal.

Praying for some cooler, drier weather, I was a fool to be out there today doing such. Getting too old (58) to well tolerate working in these horrid types of conditions.
(PS: A cool shower a little while ago, and two frozen Margaritas, I do feel a little better now! :-))
Mark

Shortspark
08-31-2013, 08:46 PM
I live in East Texas and it is over 100 degrees every day for months during the summer. I learned long ago to do any detailing very early in the morning and in the garage where there is no dew and less humidity. In fact, even my car washes which are done outside are completed before the sun reaches over the roof of my house. Detailing is a spring/fall/winter job down here.

davidc
08-31-2013, 08:51 PM
In fact, even my car washes which are done outside are completed before the sun reaches over the roof of my house.

Same in Arizona, rising at 4:30am on weekends to wash vehicles gets old fast.

Dave

MarkD51
08-31-2013, 09:29 PM

Dave

I had the 601 PBA on hand, but didn't use it. I cannot say if it would make a difference?
Maybe, maybe not?

After looking at the 105 directions after I ran into difficulty, it does lastly make mention of using "their" towel for removal. This was what gave me the idea of trying a more aggressive nap Terry Towel instead of MF.

After today, I'm not looking to go further with the other 3/4'ths of the trailer, just too brutal with this heat, and the humidity combined, and dealing with this work in the open sun with nowhere to hide.

I'm still feeling the effects, my eyes are hurting, from all the sweat running into them, and I am feeling sore.

Klasse Act
08-31-2013, 09:46 PM
I live in East Texas and it is over 100 degrees every day for months during the summer. I learned long ago to do any detailing very early in the morning and in the garage where there is no dew and less humidity. In fact, even my car washes which are done outside are completed before the sun reaches over the roof of my house. Detailing is a spring/fall/winter job down here.

Kinda opposite of what we do here in the midwest, our winter is your summer but only because of extreme heat, the cold doesn't let you detail either because of the other extreme end of the spectrum but then there's the added "bone-us" of salt on the roads so we can drive safely, so 2 strikes against us!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

davidc
08-31-2013, 09:57 PM
I had the 601 PBA on hand, but didn't use it. I cannot say if it would make a difference?
Maybe, maybe not?

After looking at the 105 directions after I ran into difficulty, it does lastly make mention of using "their" towel for removal. This was what gave me the idea of trying a more aggressive nap Terry Towel instead of MF.

After today, I'm not looking to go further with the other 3/4'ths of the trailer, just too brutal with this heat, and the humidity combined, and dealing with this work in the open sun with nowhere to hide.

I'm still feeling the effects, my eyes are hurting, from all the sweat running into them, and I am feeling sore.

Can't say as I blame you, let it go till fall. At 59 I don't get in any hurry to polish/seal the 32' fifth wheel either. Use to in my younger years tho.

Dave

Setec Astronomy
08-31-2013, 10:05 PM
Just earlier, I attempted to begin adding a coat of something on my White Cargo Trailer, and while I did a correction on it some months back, and it was not looking too bad, I did see some evidence of vertical dirt streaks from rain.

I had 501 do that to me once but it was to much oxidation that I was applying it to. It may not look to bad to you but probably more than 105 can handle.

No matter what it says on the bottle, 105 isn't much of a cleaner wax...if you had dirt streaks IMO you needed to do some other cleaning/polishing before the 105.