PDA

View Full Version : Got oil changed

Pages : [1] 2

Bill1234
08-31-2013, 01:47 PM
Got my cars oil changed. 2004 audi with 27,136 miles on the odometer. Quaker state 5w-30 was used, is it bad or should I switch to something else?

Detail-Impressions
08-31-2013, 02:02 PM
I suggest you check your owner manual and see what the manufacturer recommends for oil.
Most VW, Audi products use VW 507. oils which is a synthetic oil

Setec Astronomy
08-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Oh no...another oil thread from Bill! Didn't we answer all the oil questions last time?

Where did you get it changed, one of those quick lube places?

Bill1234
08-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Oh no...another oil thread from Bill! Didn't we answer all the oil questions last time?

Where did you get it changed, one of those quick lube places?

Pretty much yes

Bill1234
08-31-2013, 02:25 PM
btw, it is synthetic oil

ShaunD
08-31-2013, 02:41 PM
BTW it isn't a true full synthetic and in an Audi motor I wouldn't run it any bit past the manufacturer's OCI for severe conditions. Are you sure your car doesn't require a different viscosity? And you should be running an oil like Amsoil's European formula that meets/beats the requirements for European engines. Just keep checking your oil and when it starts getting darker and/or feels sticky not smooth/slick, you should change it. If you motor consumes more oil with Quaker State in It the you should switch it as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online

Bill1234
08-31-2013, 02:43 PM
I say that next time I order amsoil euro formula and bring it to get changed. Would be much easier and wouldnt have to change it as much

Skimmer0220
08-31-2013, 03:16 PM
This is why I change my own oil

Sent from space through a satellite

swanicyouth
08-31-2013, 03:17 PM
I remember looking into this a while back and spending time on "Bob the Oil Guy". Now I have an BMW M car, so for that I can only use BMW (Castrol) "M oil". However, in my Pathy I use only Mobil1 Extended Drain Interval oil (15k drain interval - can't think of the name).

Basically, I remember reading most of the "synthetic" oil we buy in the states cod not be sold as a synthetic in Europe, because its not
Made from a true synthetic base.

There were a few exceptions to this, one of them was Mobil1. Unless your driving a race car, I can't see paying extra, or going through the extra hassle, to get Amsoil.

So, if your looking for a recommendation, I would see if they make M1 in what's required for your vehicle, or I would go to the dealer and get VW branded oil for the vehicle.

Bill1234
08-31-2013, 03:21 PM
Thing is I dont put alot of miles on the car right now. Im just trying to get the most for my money and the best oil for the car. I might just have to buy oil separate from the dealer and learn how to do it myself. (could be a big curve to learning).

ShaunD
08-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Amsoil is one of the only true full synthetic oils And its as hard to get as ordering anything else online. I can get Amsoil for half the price of Castrol synthetic from the local parts store. And gets to me usually in two biz days as one of their warehouses is in Richmond, Va and I'm in VaBeach. The thing with assuming not putting many miles on your between changes is a good thing is that that puts you in the severe condition OCI category. Oil works best at protecting your motor when it's actually running through it, not just sitting in your oil pan with all the moisture and corrosives that settle there as well. But hey, whatever works for you. If you really want to know how an oil is performing in your engine then have your oil tested after a couple thousand miles or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online

rdhamill
08-31-2013, 07:49 PM
I remember looking into this a while back and spending time on "Bob the Oil Guy". Now I have an BMW M car, so for that I can only use BMW (Castrol) "M oil". However, in my Pathy I use only Mobil1 Extended Drain Interval oil (15k drain interval - can't think of the name).

Basically, I remember reading most of the "synthetic" oil we buy in the states cod not be sold as a synthetic in Europe, because its not
Made from a true synthetic base.

There were a few exceptions to this, one of them was Mobil1. Unless your driving a race car, I can't see paying extra, or going through the extra hassle, to get Amsoil.

So, if your looking for a recommendation, I would see if they make M1 in what's required for your vehicle, or I would go to the dealer and get VW branded oil for the vehicle.

Amsoil direct to your door, and 20% off for prefered customers. visit AMSOIL Shop by Product (http://goo.gl/4yJtL)

Bill1234
08-31-2013, 07:53 PM
paid about 60 for the oil change.
I could pay about 9.00 and go buy a jack and oil pan and all the other stuff and still save money

goldendodo19
08-31-2013, 08:43 PM
Bill you asked a while ago about oil and got many many replies then you go get it done and ask if the oil you got was ok. Why even ask in the first place then? It's like you don't even care what people have to tell you

MajinAl
08-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Bill you asked a while ago about oil and got many many replies then you go get it done and ask if the oil you got was ok. Why even ask in the first place then? It's like you don't even care what people have to tell you

+1

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AG Online