PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filters?

Pages : [1] 2

Bags
06-12-2007, 10:05 PM
I just got a 2005 Honda Accord V6 I was going to put Mobil 1 in it. What does everyone think is the best filter(s).

Thejoyofdriving
06-12-2007, 10:34 PM
I was talking to my friend last week about this, and he said to never use after market oil filters because it will mess with the oil circulation. I dont know if he is right but it is worth investigating. they just started coming out with these new nano fiber filters which filter 10x better, but it probably restricts your oil flow 10x slower. One thing i recomend is to take 4 or more strong magnets, and put them in a circle around the oil filter, the magnets will atract metal particals to the outside of the container, it works magic, i cant wait to try it. you can find oil filter magnets online if you wish, just type in oil filter magnets in google.Im the MAN:awesome:

R1DC2
06-12-2007, 11:10 PM
K&N Oil Filters are real good ;)

richy
06-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Instead of Mobil 1, look into Amsoil..the 1st in synthetics. they have extended drain interval on their oil and filter (12 mo's or 25,000 miles) and offer the absolute best in lubrication..amsoil.com..read the tests.

06CivicSi
06-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Go with a honda oil filter... and change your oil every 3k miles. The oil and filter are the life of your motor.

Gnarboots11
06-12-2007, 11:30 PM
uh, I had a 1990 Nissan Maxima that went for 350k miles before I gave it away and all I did was keep it clean and change the oil and other normal maintenance. I used whatever name brand oil was on sale, never used synthetic before, and I used Fram oil filters, the regular old Fram oil filters, same goes for my parents 1995 T-bird which went for 250k miles with no issues, my brothers 1992 Toyota Truck, other brothers 1995 F150. I am a believer that all those fancy filters and things are just hype and not really necesarry. If a car is going to have issues it will have issues regardless of the oil filter you choose, just my opinion.

Gnarboots11
06-12-2007, 11:33 PM
Go with a honda oil filter... and change your oil every 3k miles. The oil and filter are the life of your motor.

O and changing the oil every 3k miles is completely unecesarry. In fact, newer cars are coming with built in oil life indicators to tell you when to change your oil and they are programmed to change your oil up to every 12k miles. This was done for environmental reasons because people are changing their oil way to often and causing too much waste. This is one of the ways the car industry is trying to "Go Green". Anyways, I changed my oil every 6k miles, 3k miles is crazy!

AUdakota
06-12-2007, 11:36 PM
I change it every 3000 miles or even less, i feel as if its cheap insurance. I use mobil 1 with fram or KN filters.

Bags
06-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Interesting views. I read somewhere that honda changed its filters and the new ones aren't that great. Some people say they get better milage and performance with synth oil as opposed to conv oil. The accord has 28,000 miles on it. So it's not only dirt but metal the filter has to remove. Maybe I should have asked if the aftermarket products are really worth it. K & N air filters, synth oils, high pro plugs etc...

FMINUS
06-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Keep it stock.
I use Motul or Amisol for oil as well, better than Mobile 1.

klumzypinoy
06-13-2007, 12:07 AM
I've seen Purolator being talked about on BITOG. I'm thinking of going to those

Bags
06-13-2007, 12:10 AM
Ok Im at a loss BITOG?

Bags
06-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the feed back. I guess its like everything else close to 50/50.

AUdakota
06-13-2007, 12:13 AM
royal purple is decent as well.

Tropicality
06-13-2007, 02:37 AM
As far as aftermarket filters restricting the oil flow that is something that you would have to find out if your vehicle manufacturer approves of that such filter or not.

Lots of these things depend on if you are still under warranty or not, if you are under warranty you have to do what the manual says if you don't want to void it. This includes following the recommended drain intervals even when using a synthetic oil, which for even my brand new 07 Mz3 is still 5000km (3000miles). And as far as what kind of filter/oil to use, as long as it is approved by your vehicle manufacturer (all are different) then it is ok.

For example on my new '07 Mazda3 GT that I just did the first oil change at 2100km (oil was very black and I'm glad I did not wait any longer to change it, if I'd have waited until 5000km I think my engine would have blown up or at least shaved a good 50,000k or more off of its life, besides, who knows what kind of crap oil they used in there or if the dealer changed it themselves and used the wrong oil etc etc. Feel's much better knowing that I did it myself). I put in Mobil 1 which the dealer said is fine to use as long as it is 5w20 which the manual calls for. On my car it is also the new canister filter style (to cut down on waste I guess) where you only replace the actual filter element (like an air filter) [I used a Wix] and O-rings so there ends up being no real difference no matter what kind of filter you use. I'm actually really liking that recommendation up above for using magnets, only problem is that my housing is Aluminum so I'd have to tape them up there but I'd still have to wipe down the area in front of the magnet with something to remove anything that is there each time I replace the filter though, at least this way I'd actually be able to SEE the buildup of whatever the magnets attract as opposed to a closed filter canister style.

Check this link out for alot of info on synthetics: More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Motor Oil (http://www.micapeak.com/info/oiled.html)

If its too much for you at least read the summary at the end.