PDA

View Full Version : Which orbital buffer, and why?

Pages : [1] 2

ncee
08-31-2013, 08:53 AM
There are a ton of options, so which one is right for me.

Home use, 2 cars (but may start cleaning friends and family cars). Price isn't all that matters here, I want e nice, easy to use machine that can do all my buffering needs.

I have a Meguiars buffer, which is not an orbital machine, and several of the waxing products I have suggest an orbital, and NOT a Dual Action / Polisher type machine.

Skip

ScottB
08-31-2013, 09:07 AM
You can start with the Griots Random Orbital if you are looking for a great machine that wont break the bank. Or consider spending more upfront and grabbing a Flex 3403 and your set for a couple years and wont necessarily want/need and upgrade.

swanicyouth
08-31-2013, 09:10 AM
Well, the Griots can pretty much do anything and has a lifetime warranty. So if your price conscious (who isn't ?) than that's the way to go. Also, keep on mind a benefit to a machine like that is you can use pads as small as 3".

That being said, I just upgraded to a Rupes 15 an hour ago. The Rupes *seems* to be much less fatiguing machine, better balanced, and you can get work done faster.

The major detriment with the Rupes 15 as I see it is you can only use it with 5.5-6" pads. You will likely need smaller pads to buff out an entire car.

There is also the Flex and the Rupes 21. The Flex is a direct drive DA. Some love it, some hate it. The Rupes 21 can use pads from 5.5-7" and has a larger throw or "foot print" while buffing than the 15.

ncee
08-31-2013, 09:21 AM
OK, so I just watch several of the video's here, and now have a much better handle on this question. To those who still want to pass along any tips or suggestions, please do.

ncee
08-31-2013, 09:25 AM
I guess a machine that can use both small and large pads would be best, although if I have to get or the other, one that has larger pad will likely win out.

The 2 cars for sure in question, would be my 2012 Avalon, and my wife's 2003 Camry. Her car is in BAD need of a make over. It's not been buff in a few years (and is looking like it hasn't been).

So not only which machine, but also which waxes and such for her car?

Skip

ncee
08-31-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm guessing my Meguiars machine is fine for both cars, as long as I use waxes / polishes that work with this type of machine. I guess I'll do more reading and watching of video's here to see what is the best way of doing her car.

Skip

Andr3wilson
08-31-2013, 09:36 AM
Rupes 21 is my fav.

I had the flex 3401 and Rupes 15. The flex collected dust. I now have the 21 and 15.

The 21 is the best and swirl and defect removal

While the 15 is more aimed at the finishing steps. Granted it can cut out swirls really well.

The GG6 and PC are great starter places. I still have my PC. I use it for either sanding or scrubbing things with the cyclo brushes.

Honestly, get the Rupes 21. It's way better than the 15 and Rupes in general is an easy to use buffer.

ncee
08-31-2013, 09:40 AM
The Rupes does seem like a great line of machines, I'll wait to see what others have to say.

Skip

ncee
08-31-2013, 09:47 AM
I have been asking the reco folks at the dealerships I visit (I sell automotive ad specialties and such), and boy do you get a lot of different thoughts, suggestions, input.

It would seem that many of these folks, while fine at the job, aren't the same kind of folks I see at independent shops. The ones at dealerships, use whatever they have in front of them, and are much more of a in and out as fast as they can service. While generally independent shops seem to take time to ask and research what is best (at least for them).

Skip

Superman0440
08-31-2013, 10:51 AM
I just got my rupes on wednesday and i have a GG I plan to just use the GG for applying sealant wax and, for small areas with the 3inch pad

swanicyouth
08-31-2013, 11:26 AM
I have been asking the reco folks at the dealerships I visit (I sell automotive ad specialties and such), and boy do you get a lot of different thoughts, suggestions, input.

It would seem that many of these folks, while fine at the job, aren't the same kind of folks I see at independent shops. The ones at dealerships, use whatever they have in front of them, and are much more of a in and out as fast as they can service. While generally independent shops seem to take time to ask and research what is best (at least for them).

Skip

Nobody at a dealer is spending 30 hrs buffing a car. Its all in the quality of work you want to do. So, the advice you will get there is what can work for them, a a rotary buffer that likely will leave holograms, which can be covered up with a glaze or just left as is.

You won't see stuff like Eraser, IRon X, clay substitutes, and high quality towels at dealers. The reason is because those things cost money, and they're only interested in a bare bones "detail".

Here you will get people interested in getting the best results with any tool or method.

ski2
08-31-2013, 06:31 PM
What do you mean by a "Meguiar's Buffer?" What is the model #? Is it a Meguiars G110v2?? If so then you are well on your way. If not then---

Before you spend the $$$ for something like a Rupes, why not start out with something a little less expensive, but able to do everything you might want just to see if you really want to get into this.

The Griots with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads, 3.5" backing plate and 4" pads--MF and foam--has the power to do anything you ask of it and it has a lifte time warranty if it should break down the road.

Then spend the $$$ on quality MF and foam pads, correcting compounds and all the other products you'll need.

Get your technique down, gain some experience.

If after a few cars you do enjoy machine polishing add a Rupes or Flex --the Griots won't go to waste as you can then use it permanently with the 3.5" (or smaller) backing plate.

hernandez.art13
08-31-2013, 08:15 PM
Yes, what Meguiar's machine do you have?

This one?

BillE
09-01-2013, 07:25 AM
Curious also about what Meguiar's machine you have.

I may be wrong, but I'm under the impression that all versions of Meg's 'buffers' are DA. Version "1" was, in fact a rebadged PC.

Bill

ncee
09-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Curious also about what Meguiar's machine you have.

I may be wrong, but I'm under the impression that all versions of Meg's 'buffers' are DA. Version "1" was, in fact a rebadged PC.

Bill

I got it a few years back, but this looks like it.