PDA

View Full Version : 96 Black Porsche 993

Pages : [1] 2

DDay61
08-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Fairly beat up paint with swirls and scratches

Have already ordered the PC with the Menzerna intensive and super polishes.

Looking for best recs regarding sealants/waxes or alternative polishes.

I apologize if these are repeat questions, but there is almost too much info out there.

Harry Da Hamster
08-30-2013, 04:01 PM
I have a sweet spot for air cooled Porsches. Please post before and after pictures.

Since you have a black vehicle, consider getting a finishing polish like Menzerna SF4500.

I use Menzerna Power Lock sealant topped with Pinnacle Souveran paste wax.

DDay61
08-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Will do. Had plenty of chances to trade for a water cooled but couldn't do it. Got the seats/interior redone by the same guy who did Jerry Seinfelds.

minorc
08-30-2013, 04:21 PM
We gotta see pictures of this machine!

DDay61
08-30-2013, 05:18 PM
34K miles. only summer driven. and even less this year because I got a 2013 H-D FatBoy. i'll get some pics up.

Radarryan
08-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Though my 991 has a clear coat, the recommendation to finish with SF4500 is one that I would do. I found that finishing with the "dreaded" Porsche black paint, my best results were using a crimson Hydrotech finishing pad and Menzerna SF4500. Anything less and you'd be cheating yourself of that perfect finish (excuse the SONAX pun).

DDay61
08-30-2013, 07:30 PM
thanks!

all good suggestions.

won't even ask about the wheels yet.

suggestions for wax/sealants?

Theostoubos
08-30-2013, 09:15 PM
thanks!

all good suggestions.

In no particular order... Some favourites of this forum

1. Collinite 845
2. Menzerna Power Lock / Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant / Blackfire Wet Diamond
3. Opti Coat

tswitz
08-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Menzerna FG400 is an excellent choice if you have a lot of oxidation. I've used a yellow pad but been reading folks are having better results with a MF pad. I follow up with SF4000. Just beware of dusting problems with the FG400. Used a spray of water or QD to keep it damp once you start seeing some dusting. After polishing I use the PL Sealant. Very easy to put on and buff off. Then finish it off with a coat of CL Color Lock Carnuba Wax.

Make sure you post some pictures! Would love to see your ride! Good luck with your project and enjoy!

TundraPower
08-30-2013, 10:27 PM
thanks!

all good suggestions.

My favorite for Porsche black is Dodojuice Supernatural. Very good depth and mean reflections. Good luck!

DDay61
08-30-2013, 10:53 PM
thanks to all for your awesome help

right now, my goal is just to get the swirls/scratches out. then, it's open to anything.

ivygreen
08-30-2013, 11:54 PM
So, I might actually be able to help you here. I've had a black 996 cab for several years and I've never been able to really get it right. I've tried combination after combination, but have never been satisfied. In fact, I thought Megs 105/205 made it worse instead of better. This week, I tried something new. Here's what I used:

Griot's clay

Menzerna Super Intensive Polish with orange Lake Country 5.5" Smart Pads

Menzerna Super Finish 4500 with white Lake Country 5.5" Smart Pads

Black Fire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection with black Lake Country Smart Pads

Holy Crap! It looks unbelievable. The car is 15 years old. I detailed it to park it with the other Porsches at the PorschePlatz at the Baltimore Grand Prix. I kid you not, the paint looked better - far better than any other Porsche there. I can't believe how well it came out. It's ridiculous. Give it a shot and see what you think.

Radarryan
08-31-2013, 02:28 AM
For a traditional wax, I've used Zymöl (the fact that it was developed with PCA actually had nothing to do with it at the time) with fantastic results. I think any pure, finishing carnauba wax would be the way to go. Layerability and amped up gloss is what they would deliver.

Honestly, with all the polishing you're doing you could throw Meguiar's cleaner/wax on there and it would look fantastic. I don't used sealants, but I do use coatings, and would be happy to comment and recommend some if you decide to go that route (I think it would be wise to consider). Many consider most coatings to just be "extended life sealants", anyways. When I had Opti-Coat 2.0 on the 991, I topped it all the time with a finishing wax and could 100% tell a difference. I found the notion that you cannot put anything over it to be false.

Stampe
08-31-2013, 03:42 AM
On a black porche cayenne I didi a couple of days ago I used
Rupes 21
Rupes yellow pad and scholl s17
Rupes white pad and menzerna finalfininsh
Optimum car wax
Optimum opti-bond

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/31/3ymubu6a.jpg
After
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/31/y2u3e2yd.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/31/ygadutyq.jpg

Hope it was ok with the pictures :-)

DDay61
08-31-2013, 08:19 AM
Great! Bought the menz polishes

Coatings scare me since I'm new and the lock in everything. Something when I'm better.

Will post pics when tis been washed.