PDA

View Full Version : Plain masking tape?

lunchboxmunchy
08-30-2013, 01:19 AM
Hey Geeks. I'm out of my blue tape. It's 2030 and most of the stores around me are closing. Would plain masking tape work for taping the stuff I don't want to touch the polish and compounds?

Keep Calm & Chive On

jamesboyy
08-30-2013, 01:44 AM
Regular masking tape have more glue on it than automotive but if you are worryed about the glue part dap the tape on your pants or shirt once or twice and it will take the stickness down

erichaley
08-30-2013, 02:53 AM
Regular masking tape have more glue on it than automotive but if you are worryed about the glue part dap the tape on your pants or shirt once or twice and it will take the stickness down

+1

In a pinch, regular masking tape will do for very short term applications, but I definitely wouldn't make a habit out of it.

ClayR
08-30-2013, 03:49 AM
Agreed and I like the pants rub to reduce adhesive method. For < 3 hours and lower than 80 degree heat should be okay. If you've had good results with the blue tape you're probably okay. The warm humid climate of coastal Carolina for me does not mix well with blue tape as it tends to leave sticky adhesive residue behind. The yellow frog tape works good for me, although it is harder to find.

Chive on.

lunchboxmunchy
08-30-2013, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the responses. Although it took longer than usual, I taped one side of the vehicle and did what needed to be done. Then removed the tape and continued to the other side. I split it up into sections. The plain masking tape left some residue on the window trim, however it wiped right off. I'm going to have to pick some up first thing tomorrow morning before my next job.

ClayR, where specifically are you in the Carolinas?

Keep Calm & Chive On

abwmma
08-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Guys, may I ask why did you tape the gaps between the panels? Is that make life easiler to clean up? Thanks.

inDetail
08-30-2013, 09:02 AM
for easier clean up and the paint on the edges of panels is usually the most thin on the car. So it's customary to tape them out with thin tape so you don't over cut the paint. I usually only do it when I'm doing full corrections and I know I'm going to be doing a bunch of compounding otherwise I leave them be. It's a safe practice to do but I use my best judgement pending the job I'm doing.

add lightness
08-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Don't use regular masking tape for autocross numbers... boy that was a pain to get all the residue off!! :o

abwmma
08-30-2013, 09:51 AM
I guess most of you guys use 1/4" 3M 233+, Right?

custmsprty
08-30-2013, 10:06 AM
I guess most of you guys use 1/4" 3M 233+, Right?

Any paint shop should have them, HD, Lowes etc.

Shurtape CP27 is a great product too.

vwgti
08-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Hey Geeks. I'm out of my blue tape. It's 2030 and most of the stores around me are closing. Would plain masking tape work for taping the stuff I don't want to touch the polish and compounds?

Keep Calm & Chive On

When you said 2030! I thought you were talking about year 2030! I was like I am sure by 2030, masking tape will still be available!

Lol just thought I share

statusdetailing
08-30-2013, 11:13 AM
I've had serious problems with regular masking tape.

lunchboxmunchy
08-30-2013, 01:55 PM
When you said 2030! I thought you were talking about year 2030! I was like I am sure by 2030, masking tape will still be available!

Lol just thought I share

Haha. Funny! It's a habit. That's the soldier in me that'll never go away even though I'm out.

Keep Calm & Chive On