PDA

View Full Version : The Final Post: Pads for GG 6

Pages : [1] 2

lonye
08-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Hi all!

I now there are several topics for this discussion but I canīt get my mind clear, so some help would be nice!!.

I Have a brand New GG 6 with some new Lake Country 6.5 CSS pads (I think one of each color).
My question has two Dimensions: Pads Size and pads Type.

1. Pads Size: I have the chance to change my pads for some 5.5.
Would this make any difference? I know skill/technique is more important than tools, but does the pad size makes any difference? Would the 5.5 pads take down swirls faster than 6.5? Or heavier swirls?

2. Pads type: CSS or Flat? Is it true that flat pads would leave to 100% contact between the pads, polish and surface giving more power correction? I know CSS pads generate less heat but, is less heat necessary with a GG?

I'd really appreciate your help!

Feed back please

rmagnus
08-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Hi all!

I now there are several topics for this discussion but I canīt get my mind clear, so some help would be nice!!.

I Have a brand New GG 6 with some new Lake Country 6.5 CSS pads (I think one of each color).
My question has two Dimensions: Pads Size and pads Type.

1. Pads Size: I have the chance to change my pads for some 5.5.
Would this make any difference? I know skill/technique is more important than tools, but does the pad size makes any difference? Would the 5.5 pads take down swirls faster than 6.5? Or heavier swirls?

2. Pads type: CSS or Flat? Is it true that flat pads would leave to 100% contact between the pads, polish and surface giving more power correction? I know CSS pads generate less heat but, is less heat necessary with a GG?

I'd really appreciate your help!

Feed back please
1. Do it. Smaller pads are more efficient and easier to control. So yes they remove defects easier.

2. Depends on the type of polish you plan on using as well as personal preference. Try one of each. CC Hex pads work well also. Any time you can reduce heat when polishing do it. Heat isn't good for pads or paint.

I use a fair amount of Meguiars products many are SMAT the CCS pads work well with it because it helps to distribute product along the polishing process at least in theory. Flat pads work well with DAT get the product on e paint and work it to break it down.

Bottom line it comes down to preference just go try some different pads and you'll find what you like.

HateSwirls
08-30-2013, 05:57 AM
You'll love the 5.5 inch pads , just makes it easier to correct,faster.
Pads are cheaper too.:dblthumb2:

Driven Auto Detail
08-30-2013, 06:00 AM
Here's my $.02 ....

5.5" Buff & Shine pads. In my experience, their pads are superior to LC pads and last longer.

lonye
08-30-2013, 06:09 AM
OK. So regarding size i will go with 5.5.
I m planning to use menzerna sip, sf4500 m105 and m205. Are they DAT or SMAT?

And how many pads for each step do you suggest? I thin I will buy orange white gray and red....

ski2
08-30-2013, 06:39 AM
Here's my $.02 ....

5.5" Buff & Shine pads. In my experience, their pads are superior to LC pads and last longer.

+1 on this ^ IMO you need at least 4 pads for each step especially the heavier correcting steps.

lonye
08-30-2013, 05:22 PM
OK, so 5.5 and I'm between Lake Country or Buff N Shine.
Is really a big difference? does AG sell them? Are them more or less expensive?

Is Orange / White / Grey / Red enough? or should I add any other?

Thanks!

lonye
08-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Are we talking about Meguiars Buffing Pads?

HateSwirls
08-31-2013, 09:02 AM
IMO the Lake Country pads last much longer,cthey don't wear out nearly as fast.
That's just me though, we all have our favorites.
It's all about what YOU like.:dblthumb2:

OK, so 5.5 and I'm between Lake Country or Buff N Shine.
Is really a big difference? does AG sell them? Are them more or less expensive?

Is Orange / White / Grey / Red enough? or should I add any other?

Thanks!

swanicyouth
08-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Please, please, please, buy BnS pads. They are much better because they do not de-laminate. Search around. Numerous threads on LC pads de-lamaminating.

dlgwarner
08-31-2013, 10:55 AM
+1 on this ^ IMO you need at least 4 pads for each step especially the heavier correcting steps.

This is the first time I've ever read about multiple pads per step. Do you mean first polishing with a medium cut, then polishing with a finer cut, and so on through 4 different pads, decreasing amount of cut each time? Or, are you talking about switching out dirty for clean pads (of the same type) as you go?

lonye
08-31-2013, 12:59 PM
I think he is talking about changing pads to avoid heat and dirt...

Old Tiger
08-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Please, please, please, buy BnS pads. They are much better because they do not de-laminate. Search around. Numerous threads on LC pads de-lamaminating.
IME, Steve is right. Their MF pads are great too! Don't forget to get a 5" BP too. The best are from buffdaddy.com and are customed cut to allow edging with all of your 5" pads. Well worth the extra $!

ski2
08-31-2013, 04:56 PM
This is the first time I've ever read about multiple pads per step. Do you mean first polishing with a medium cut, then polishing with a finer cut, and so on through 4 different pads, decreasing amount of cut each time? Or, are you talking about switching out dirty for clean pads (of the same type) as you go?

I was refering to using 4 pads for the cutting step, 4 pads for the polishing step and then 2-3 if doing a fine finishing step. As opposed to trying to compound an entire car with 1 or 2 pads. I'll use pad 1 for a couple of panels then clean on the fly and set asside to cool while I use pad 2 then clean it and switch back to pad 1 etc etc for half the car. Then use pads 3 and 4 in the same manner for the second half of the car. Allows me to use high speeds without fear of overheating the pads.

lonye
08-31-2013, 05:28 PM
OK, perfect.
I already have a Lake country Backing PLate.
Do I need a new one?