PDA

View Full Version : '99 Porsche (hard clear?)

Pages : [1] 2

Tex Star Detail
06-12-2007, 06:38 PM
going to be working on my first Porsche 911, 1999 model. How is the clearcoat on these things? hard, soft, average?

Thanks in advance!

Ivan Rajic
06-12-2007, 06:49 PM
I did a 03 GT3 and it wasn't very hard.. I would say medium on the softer side... sorry for little help haha

Gary Sword
06-12-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure Chris but I would like to know. I told my freind I would detail of few of his Porsche's latter on this summer when I have some extra time. He has 7 porsches dating form 1987 to 2005 He does have a red 1999 996. I have noticed that car does not have to many swirls on it which would leave me to believe the clear is on the hard side. I don't think the car has ever been polished. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your detail.

Tex Star Detail
06-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks...

Gary, should be doing this on Saturday, unless I can squeeze him in sooner...
Pics are mandatory...

Tex Star Detail
06-12-2007, 07:29 PM
just confirmed it. Saturday Morning. Dark Blue, I think the name of the color is Marine Blue? Ivory Leather Interior...

supercharged
06-12-2007, 09:50 PM
going to be working on my first Porsche 911, 1999 model. How is the clearcoat on these things? hard, soft, average?

Thanks in advance!
The best way to find out is to do a test spot. Look at your paint, then think of the least aggressive polish/pad combo. Just to a small section (1'x1'), and look at your results. That would probably be the safest way to go.

Good luck and remember to post some pics.

Thejoyofdriving
06-12-2007, 09:50 PM
I think the short answer might be yes in general they are usually "soft" go here for more info they have a whole artical about it Are German Paints Different? (http://www.properautocare.com/aregepadi.html)

Gary Sword
06-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Chris, I did some seaches on Porsches details on another site. Of the details I read the consenus seemed to be that Porsches have a hard clear coat. In the article about German Paints referenced by Thejoyofdiving it starts that the paint used by most German cars is soft compared to American cars. From my own experience Mercedes if very hard. I could be wrong but it seems like some AG members have noted that Audi and BMW is also hard.

Tex Star Detail
06-12-2007, 09:57 PM
thanks guys....

Ivan Rajic
06-13-2007, 01:58 AM
Chris, I did some seaches on Porsches details on another site. Of the details I read the consenus seemed to be that Porsches have a hard clear coat. In the article about German Paints referenced by Thejoyofdiving it starts that the paint used by most German cars is soft compared to American cars. From my own experience Mercedes if very hard. I could be wrong but it seems like some AG members have noted that Audi and BMW is also hard.

I agree... that article is completely wrong IMO... Audi has by far the hardest clear I've ever worked with, and always requires the more abrasive stuff... BMW is very very close after Audi... Like I mentioned above, the one Porsche I did is the only German car to have somewhat softer CC... an 01 or 02 Jetta I did a while back also had a pretty hard clear, although not as hard as Audi or BMW...

tonyspop
06-14-2007, 12:02 PM

Thanks in advance!try PM ing Anthony Orosco:D Deals in a lot of higher end vehicles.Hope this helps

Anthony Orosco
06-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Porsche paint, as in the Boxster, 911, Cayman crowd has a paint on the soft side. Most correction can be done with an LC white pad and Optimum Polish (I'm sure the XMT or Menzerna line work fine).

I then finish with OP and a blue finishing pad and/or Cyclo....depends on color.

Now the Cayenne's have a much harder clear because they consider it to be used in a more rugged enviroment.....yeah right, like someone is going to take a $90,000.00 car off road:D

Well it's a double urethane and it's very hard on the Cayenne.

Anthony

Ivan Rajic
06-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Porsche paint, as in the Boxster, 911, Cayman crowd has a paint on the soft side. Most correction can be done with an LC white pad and Optimum Polish (I'm sure the XMT or Menzerna line work fine).

I then finish with OP and a blue finishing pad and/or Cyclo....depends on color.

Now the Cayenne's have a much harder clear because they consider it to be used in a more rugged enviroment.....yeah right, like someone is going to take a $90,000.00 car off road:D

Well it's a double urethane and it's very hard on the Cayenne.

Anthony

Anthony, have you ever worked on a 03 911 turbo? I'm going to be doing one of these next Tuesday, and form my experience, the paint was on the hard side... I guess I'm just asking for the hell of it since I'll be trying out a few spots anyway to see what works best :p

Anthony Orosco
06-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Anthony, have you ever worked on a 03 911 turbo? I'm going to be doing one of these next Tuesday, and form my experience, the paint was on the hard side... I guess I'm just asking for the hell of it since I'll be trying out a few spots anyway to see what works best :p

Yep, done plenty of them and for the most part, unless it or an area of it has been repainted it should be on the softer side and easy to correct...well fairly easy to correct.

I just did a black 04 recently with only the Cyclo and Hyper with white pads and then Cyclo, white pads and Polish and it came out great. I went very slow and made sure I covered every inch multiple times. The surface had light marring so I only used the Hyper in a few of the worse areas.

Are you using a rotary, PC or a combo of both?

Anthony

Ivan Rajic
06-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Yep, done plenty of them and for the most part, unless it or an area of it has been repainted it should be on the softer side and easy to correct...well fairly easy to correct.

I just did a black 04 recently with only the Cyclo and Hyper with white pads and then Cyclo, white pads and Polish and it came out great. I went very slow and made sure I covered every inch multiple times. The surface had light marring so I only used the Hyper in a few of the worse areas.

Are you using a rotary, PC or a combo of both?

Anthony

I was planning on starting out with Makita/orangeLC6.5" or Meg's yellow pad/Meg's#80...
I do have a PC as well but I do most details with the rotary since it's much faster and I get better results... I did think about maybe finishing with PC... I'll probably try out PC/whiteLC/Meg's #80 or 82 and see how that finishes out after the rotary... what do you think?