PDA

View Full Version : Is no-rinse the answer to water spots?

Desertnate
08-29-2013, 08:44 AM
After doing a full paint correction on my wife's SUV last weekend I've come to the conclusion I need to simplify my detailing process and do it smarter. My questions are not product related (there are tons of reviews out there), but center on ideas/methods and whether I will get any benefit.

I want to start with the washing phase. This past weekend made me realize how much time, effort, and QD product I go through chasing water spots when washing my vehicles. My neighborhood is fairly new and was built on farmland. There is no shade. Even at 7:00 in the morning a dark painted car will heat up quick even if the ambient temps aren't that high. Water starts to evaporate/spot almost as fast as you rinse leaving spots everywhere. I've always feared no-wash and no-rinse methods due to the risk of swirling the paint, but I'm at a point where I'm ready to try something new.

Is a no-rinse approach the solution to this problem? Will I get decent results outdoors in the sun, or is doing it in the garage mandatory? Generally, how do the products work with road grime and bugs? The demo's here seem to show they work well on pretty dirty vehicles.

Once I get past this part, the search for a new AIO/topper combo will be on, but that's just more searching and reading for me. I won't bore you guys with that one. :xyxthumbs:

Setec Astronomy
08-29-2013, 08:52 AM
IME generally speaking using a rinseless will help your water spot problem. However, a hot car is still going to be trouble as far as drying before it dries by itself in the sun, so the garage is going to be the best bet.

swanicyouth
08-29-2013, 09:10 AM
If you do a rinseless and use DI, water spots are very unlikely, even in the hot sun. This is because there is nothing in the water to leave spots

I would recommend getting a CR Spotless. First, check the TDS of your water (hardness). Depending on how "hard" your water is, it may help you isolate if its primarily technique or hard water causing your issue.

CR S is truly amazing. You can let a black car air dry in blazing sun with virtually no spots. I'll never be without one now.

richy
08-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Either no rinse on its own, or add some ONR to the wash water to soften it. That will affect the suds however, just be aware of that.

wdmaccord
08-29-2013, 09:38 AM
If you do a rinseless and use DI, water spots are very unlikely, even in the hot sun. This is because there is nothing in the water to leave spots

I would recommend getting a CR Spotless. First, check the TDS of your water (hardness). Depending on how "hard" your water is, it may help you isolate if its primarily technique or hard water causing your issue.

CR S is truly amazing. You can let a black car air dry in blazing sun with virtually no spots. I'll never be without one now.

Tend to disagree a bit that RW won't leave spots. Maybe it depends on what brand of RW you use. And I have hard water too, but the RW is supposed to soften the water a bit. I always do my RWs in the garage. If I don't get the dry quite right, the product will leave behind spots. But I always follow my RWs with BF WD Polymer Spray which takes out any spots left behind and slicks up the paint. But the spotting is not caused by the sun and is on cool paint...might be tougher in the sun or on hot paint. I use BF WD RW.

Personally, I wouldn't do a RW if my car was really dirty or I had a lot of bugs. If there are just a few bug splatters, I will hit it with BF APC 1:4 first. If the car is really dirty but you still want to do a rinseless, I would recommend taking it to a self serve car wash first and high pressure rinse it, then head home and do the RW.

Klasse Act
08-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Rinseless washed DO NOT CAUSE SWIRLS on your paint! Not flaming the OP but not sure where this comes from but it needs to go away.....soon! I have a Honda and have been using rinseless wash since winter of 2012 and have NO swirls, remember I have a Honda, a car with notoriusly soft paint!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

wdmaccord
08-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Rinseless washed DO NOT CAUSE SWIRLS on your paint! Not flaming the OP but not sure where this comes from but it needs to go away.....soon! I have a Honda and have been using rinseless wash since winter of 2012 and have NO swirls, remember I have a Honda, a car with notoriusly soft paint!

Agreed. you will get some micro-scratches no matter how you wash it. Whenever you touch the paint, that's just part of the deal. If you do the wash right, however, it's nothing a good polish won't take out at your next tear down. I have soft Honda paint too and I have no swirls after 4 months of rinseless washing. Do I have a few micro scratches here and there...yes, because I'm not perfect. These aren't scratches I will need to compound when I do my winter tear down, they will polish right out.

Desertnate
08-29-2013, 09:55 AM

For me it was fear of what would happen to all that dirt on the car if I didn't knock some of it off with a hose first.

I've seen from the video's here that it won't, but am still hesitant...irrational fear maybe? I'm ready to move on though after my last water spot battle.

Desertnate
08-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Personally, I wouldn't do a RW if my car was really dirty or I had a lot of bugs. If there are just a few bug splatters, I will hit it with BF APC 1:4 first. If the car is really dirty but you still want to do a rinseless, I would recommend taking it to a self serve car wash first and high pressure rinse it, then head home and do the RW.

Thanks. The SUV gets driven for 100 or so miles a day through rural farm land. Lots of bugs this time of year. Evil ones too, that seem to instantly etch the paint.

Klasse Act
08-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Well some good old common sense is the order of the day when usiing rinseless wash, you're all over it already. If the car is "real" dirty, a nice rinsing off usually does the trick but when its worse than that a trip to the quarter carwash is in order. If you've got the time some pre-wash is in order using the rinseless wash mixed up that way, then go onto the rinseless wash process and you'll be fine.

jtuds
08-29-2013, 11:24 AM

That's not true. Any product used improperly can cause swirls. If you don;t use neough solution, or press too hard, or us it on a soiled vehicle, or used the same cloth too long, you can cause swirls regardless of the product.

Klasse Act
08-29-2013, 11:46 AM
That's not true. Any product used improperly can cause swirls. If you don;t use neough solution, or press too hard, or us it on a soiled vehicle, or used the same cloth too long, you can cause swirls regardless of the product.

Key words....used improperly....pushing too hard are key here, true, but key! Now this cloth you speak of, what is that and how does it come into play when using a rinseless wash?

01GreyStangGT
08-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Rinseless washing cut down spots for me big time. Plus washing with rinseless is a breeze.

Desertnate
08-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Here's follow-up question about the whole rinsless process:

Most of the products talk about containing polymers or emulsifiers to enhance the look and/or improve lubrication. How do those effect the application of other products post-wash? Are those ingrediants in any higher concentration levels than what is already encountered in normal, reputable car wash products?

davidc
08-29-2013, 05:40 PM
My solution to not wash and risk water spots. You may not like it. Up at 4:30am and in the driveway by 5-5:15am. Drying by the time the sun comes up enough to start hitting the vehicles. Insane ?, probably, but it works. Of course being in AZ. being done early helps with the heat also.

Dave