PDA

View Full Version : Can ONR at QD strength be used to clean off dirt spots from driving in the rain?

jtuds
08-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Sorry for the long title but it is a pretty simple question.

I have a new white car and I get crazy when I can see all the dirt on it, particularly after a rain.

I have ONR diluted at QD strength. I was going to douse a microfiber in it, spray a bunch on the dirt, then make passes turning the cloth a lot.

I just washed the car on Monday and didn't want to wash the whole thing again, and I also don't feel like doing a full ONR wash. So is this method safe or should I deal with it till friday or saturday when I'll feel like washing again?

This info will be helpful to me as I'll undoubtedly be in this predicament again....

Thanks.

Fastmike
08-29-2013, 01:19 AM
Probably safer just to do a regular ONR wash.

If you want to do the cloths you might be better off using a waterless wash like OptiClean. It has extra polymers to compensate for the reduced amount of water.

Also to remember to use more than one towel.

davey g-force
08-29-2013, 01:27 AM
I agree, just do a regular ONR wash.

If you really want to just "spray & wipe", a WW would be safer.

jtuds
08-29-2013, 06:49 AM
Crap I thought that ONR is a waterless wash....

So I guess I was a little unclear on what that term means. The only waterless wash I can get around here without ordering through the mail is Meguiar's version.

Lowejackson
08-30-2013, 02:29 PM
I would suggest if the dirt is very light then you would probably be ok with ONR. For anything heavier than light dirt I would wash with ONR in the traditional manner

Fastmike
08-31-2013, 01:37 AM
I would suggest if the dirt is very light then you would probably be ok with ONR. For anything heavier than light dirt I would wash with ONR in the traditional manner

You're probably ok.

Just make sure to use several MF towels,to avoid dragging dirt on your paint and to mist the MF towels to make sure you're well lubricated

jlax2485
08-31-2013, 08:15 AM
You could also mix up another bottle of ONR at a bit higher concentration than a QD and you should be just fine. I use it in my emergency kit to clean up bird bombs with no problems. Just make sure not to drag a dirty mf towel over you paint and use a lot of solution.

Calendyr
08-31-2013, 11:20 AM
What would you consider higher concentration for this purpose? QD strenght is already 4 times more concentrated than the wash strenght. So would you go 8 times? That would be 4 ounces of product per gallon if I remember correctly.

jlax2485
08-31-2013, 11:49 AM
6 oz per gallon is the QD strength. I currently use 8 oz per gallon as a bird bomb spray in my car's emergency kit. I have soft paint and use long-nap microfiber towels for this purpose with no ill effects.

swanicyouth
08-31-2013, 11:56 AM
6 oz per gallon is the QD strength. I currently use 8 oz per gallon as a bird bomb spray in my car's emergency kit. I have soft paint and use long-nap microfiber towels for this purpose with no ill effects.

Why not just use a waterless wash? Pinnacle WW is 4oz per gallon and island to be used that way. UWW+ is about 3.5 oz per gallon. You waisting a lot of ONR @ 8oz a gallon.

FUNX650
08-31-2013, 12:15 PM
So is this method safe...?
Here's a couple of informative articles regarding your concerns:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/23128-tips-techniques-using-spray-detailer-remove-light-dust-fingerprints-smudges.html
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23645-difference-between-normal-car-wash-waterless-car-wash-rinseless-car-wash-spray-detailer.html

6 oz per gallon is the QD strength. I currently use 8 oz per gallon as a bird bomb spray in my car's emergency kit.
I have soft paint and use long-nap microfiber towels for this purpose with no ill effects.
From this:
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine: clay lubricant, optimum rinseless wash, no rinse car wash, optimum detailing products (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html)

Add 8 ounces of No Rinse Wash & Shine to a gallon of water to make an excellent quick detailer.

And this:

Autogeek's Selection of Car Washing and Cleaning Products

RTU = Ready To Use

Waterless Washes
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html) 8 ounces per gallon

Note: While spray detailers are first and foremost positioned as products for removing light dust,
if used wet or heavy and with good technique, that can substitute for a high lubricity waterless wash.
Use your own judgment.

:)

Bob

Old Tiger
09-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Probably safer just to do a regular ONR wash.

If you want to do the cloths you might be better off using a waterless wash like OptiClean. It has extra polymers to compensate for the reduced amount of water.

Also to remember to use more than one towel.
Agree, I keep a garden sprayer, 2 gallon, of Ultima Waterless Wash + on ready. Spray liberally and wipe off in between ONR washes,

pld
09-01-2013, 10:20 AM
I would definitely trust the DG rinseless mixed as a QD over Optimum NR, yesterday proved that to me:xyxthumbs:

jlax2485
09-02-2013, 08:02 AM
ONR works fine for me on my subaru's soft paint. What's more important is to make sure you use a soft, long-nap microfiber towel, and use proper technique (dont drag the dirt across the paint, fold up the towel and use the different sides, etc.)