PDA

View Full Version : It might have been a bad idea to get a Brinkmann

Pages : [1] 2 3

StuDLei
08-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Holy crap it shows everything. I have black car too. My life may become a nightmare now.

Also, I noticed LOTS of tiny, tiny, tiny streaks from the last time I washed with ONR. This was a problem for me in the past, but seemed to have gone away, or so I thought. Generally I dry my car with one large microfiber towel and I'm going to have to change. I just received three HD Guzzlers with my order (that came with my Brinkmann along with some other stuff) that can hopefully help me out with this streaking problem.

Thing is, even in the sun these streaks I'm talking about are really hard to find.

Anyways, so I washed my car three days ago and it is dusty as crap. I used some Optimum QD on a small section of my roof and then hit it with the Brinkmann. The paint looked flawless and glossy under my garage lights. Under the Brinkmann? Streaks and hazy parts like mad. Granted my garage is over 90 degrees and very humid right now, but I was pretty surprised with what I saw. I couldn't get the streaks from the OID out very well either. Used a fresh towel to dry after a pass of ONR and it was better, but there were still streaks. What gives?

In any event, I haven't had much time to fool around with my new stuff yet. Tomorrow I'll rinse with the hose, pull it in the garage and ONR and force myself to switch out towels when drying at least twice.

Feeling a little nuts right now.

By the way, can I wash and dry HD Guzzlers like normal with my other microfibers?

custmsprty
08-28-2013, 06:49 PM
I wipe my dusty Black ride down with Blackfire WDPS no streaks, like glass. And I'm in humid SW Florida. I just love WDPS!

Calendyr
08-28-2013, 09:40 PM
If the streaks are not visible Under the sun or normal lighting, what does it matter that they show up with the Brinkman? It's not like anyone carries one around when looking at your car ;)

Have you tried using a spray wax after washing? I bet those streaks will disapear.

KillaCam
08-28-2013, 09:45 PM
You'd be surprised how much streaking can occur when heat and humidity are both high. That might be your problem.

inDetail
08-28-2013, 09:57 PM
I use Infinite use detail juice. I use one towel per panel for the wash I have one gallon mixed with all the towels soaked in the juice. Then another to dry and buff off any residue. If I happen to have any streaking which is rare. I have a spray bottle of juice and just hit it using it as a QD.
One thing I did notice waterless tend to be very finicky to the weather.

allenk4
08-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Brinkmann is Pure Evil!

Do not buy one if you have a black car!

StuDLei
08-29-2013, 12:10 AM
If the streaks are not visible Under the sun or normal lighting, what does it matter that they show up with the Brinkman? It's not like anyone carries one around when looking at your car ;)

Have you tried using a spray wax after washing? I bet those streaks will disapear.

I hear what you're saying, but you know, we're all kind of OCD, lol!

A lot of times after I'm done ONRing, I'll take a fresh clean towel and wipe the whole car down really quick just in case I missed any thing. That was before I had a Brinkmann, we'll see how it goes tomorrow. I found streaks on the inside of my windshield from when I ONRed it at least two months ago. Never saw them till I got the Brinkmann, holy crap!

StuDLei
08-29-2013, 12:15 AM
Brinkmann is Pure Evil!

Do not buy one if you have a black car!

Honestly I was shocked at some of the things I saw. If I can figure out the streak problem, I'll be okay I think.

Hey, at least I know the thing works. I work in my garage a lot and really needed a detailing light. I'm hesitant about halogens because they get really hot, none of them seem to have good reviews and they'll take up a lot of space. I can definitely check my work with the Brinkmann when I work on my own cars and friends and family now though!

swanicyouth
08-29-2013, 04:27 AM
ONR shouldn't streak. OID is almost streak proof as well. If it is streaking, I have a feeling the streaks are dirt or detergent residue in your towel, or some other strange thing going on. Or, the Brinkmann is playing tricks with your eyes.

It should be almost impossible to get ONR to streak on a clean panel - regardless if vehicle color. While the Brinkmann is a fine light, its nowhere near as good as sunlight. If your not seeing it in sunlight, your OK.

HateSwirls
08-29-2013, 06:03 AM
I own a black Rav4.
A while back I spent hours,in fact the entire weekend to correct it, it looked flawless under my garage lights and in the sun.
Well about a week later I put a spot light on it and oh my, I saw some swirls here and there and the car wasn't washed after correction so it was on my part why they were left behind.

I'll never put a light on it as long as I own it:)
I had to go over it again, now I inspect every panel with my light after I correct it to make sure it flawless.

Superman0440
08-29-2013, 06:42 AM
My brinkman came yesterday can't wait to use it when I get off

allenk4
08-29-2013, 09:31 AM
"My brinkman came yesterday can't wait to use it when I get off"

Your Brinkmann won't be the only thing you use today....I see a bottle of polish in your future.

You only thought you hood was swirl free!

Superman0440
08-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Lol I hope it's not bad but I do have a black car

zmcgovern45
08-29-2013, 10:03 AM
The Brinkmann is a great tool that every professional (or true enthusiast) should find very useful.

I find the Brinkmann is especially handy at displaying micromarring.

Example 1:

The corrected area looks fantastic in the halogen lights. This was after compounding.
https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/179714_265461650258628_164229922_n.jpg

Upon closer inspection with the brinkmann, you can see there was a decent amount of marring left over that needed to be refined with a finishing polish. The upper portion had been finish polished and the lower portion shows how it really looked after compounding.
https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1012771_265461710258622_656364483_n.jpg

Example 2:

Again, looks pretty darn good after compounding.
https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1098294_287112828093510_1371438068_n.jpg

Upon closer inspection, you can see further refinement was definitely beneficial as the left hand side has been finish polished and the right hand side was just compounded.
https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/1000941_287112874760172_1131702166_n.jpg

As far as using it on your own vehicles... there comes a point when you have to understand that things happen, and your car won't be 100% perfect. I give mine a touch up 1-2 step polish every year or two (usually two), but in the meantime I try not to get too caught up over minor defects.

-Zach

StuDLei
08-29-2013, 06:40 PM
The Brinkmann is a great tool that every professional (or true enthusiast) should find very useful.

I find the Brinkmann is especially handy at displaying micromarring.

Example 1:

The corrected area looks fantastic in the halogen lights. This was after compounding.
https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/179714_265461650258628_164229922_n.jpg

Upon closer inspection with the brinkmann, you can see there was a decent amount of marring left over that needed to be refined with a finishing polish. The upper portion had been finish polished and the lower portion shows how it really looked after compounding.
https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1012771_265461710258622_656364483_n.jpg

Example 2:

Again, looks pretty darn good after compounding.
https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1098294_287112828093510_1371438068_n.jpg

Upon closer inspection, you can see further refinement was definitely beneficial as the left hand side has been finish polished and the right hand side was just compounded.
https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/1000941_287112874760172_1131702166_n.jpg

As far as using it on your own vehicles... there comes a point when you have to understand that things happen, and your car won't be 100% perfect. I give mine a touch up 1-2 step polish every year or two (usually two), but in the meantime I try not to get too caught up over minor defects.

-Zach

Thanks for the words of advice. I'll try to keep that in mind.

Last year, I corrected my car significantly with 105, 205 and sf4500. Not every panel received the same treatment. For the most part, my car looks very nice for a ten year old black car. It has clarity (lack of swirls) and gloss that absolutely stand out comparative to "normal" peoples' cars. It's not swirl free, but even under sunlight, they're very minimal with the exception of the rear end for some reason. In fact, all the panels that have been repainted (a few years ago, before I corrected) have many more swirls than the rest of the car. It must swirl easier or something.