PDA

View Full Version : car wash frequency after opticoat

kirpal
08-28-2013, 11:42 AM
hello all
I got my new acura MDX crystal black pearl--got the full frontal clear bra (suntek) and opticoat Pro over the entire car including the clear bra. It looks great! I went with the right folks and they have done a great job. Now the biggest question is how should i maintain this clean? i live in michigan and handwashing during november through April is pretty tough to impossible. I don't have the heated garage and winterizing turns off easy access to water in the garage. i can somehow manage to do hand wash my acura once for the whole winter sometime in January or february. During other times of the year i can wash it once every two weeks or so. This is my first biggest purchase and i want to make sure this frequency is OK as long as i can live with little dirty car.

I plan to use two bucket method and bought all i need (optimum products, grit guard, mitt, MF towels, tire gel etc). I am never going to go to those mechanical car washes (even the touchless or brushless ones) again. I know this forum is filled with folks who take pride in maintaining a spotlessly clean and shiny car. For some of you, it is a profession. But what about folks like me who don't have resources, or time for this? I work 50 to 60 hours a week and when i get some free time i would like to spend with my kids and wife (not cleaning the car!). Thats why i got opti coat pro so i don't have to wax it.

My other car is a 2010 corolla (never coated with anything). I was not at all into cleaning/detailing of cars before this purchase. Previously, I washed my corolla around three times a year or so! My corolla looks really good for an untrained eye! Has swirls here and there (from previous owners) but I did not even know that those are swirls before i started researching what to do for my new purchase. Now, all i can see are those swirls!

Thanks in advance for all the thoughts or suggestions.

Evan.J
08-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Go to you local coin op and spray off anything big then do a rinseless wash on the car and be done. This will be the best way just wait for warmer day then most to do the work.

richy
08-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Go to you local coin op and spray off anything big then do a rinseless wash on the car and be done. This will be the best way just wait for warmer day then most to do the work.

Good advise that.:iagree:

random
08-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Car wash frequency and opticoat have nothing to do with each other. Your car will still get dirty with or without opticoat and you will need to clean it at whatever frequency you feel like. The difference with opticoat is that the actual cleaning will be easier since dirt and other light particles will come off of it more easily.

silverfox
08-29-2013, 05:20 AM
I agree that frequency of washing has nothing to do with the LSP including coatings with one exception... Wax. I defy anybody who waxes their cars to keep them clean longer than 12 hours even sitting in a garage. You could justify washing a waxed car at least twice a week in my experience using them.

I still curse wax to this day for making my detailing life miserable in terms of the car always being covered in dust even an hour after I just waxed it. I remember coming out to the parking lot after a long day at work and seeing my just waxed car covered in dust and boy could you see it on a freshly waxed car! The dust was actually more noticeable on my car than on cars sitting next to mine that had never been waxed. I finally had enough of wax.

Ok, my rant about wax is over but I feel better.

Coatings and lots of good sealants make the washing process easy and effortless. In fact try some Carpro hydro2 and then take it out in the rain or drive your car through a rain storm. The car almost washes itself with that particular product on the paint with no spotting after it dries. I remember my waxed car looking like a polka dot factory after a rain and seeing water spots all over the car. My high blood pressure has now gone away since saying goodbye to wax.

michelliot
08-29-2013, 07:14 AM
Silverfox:

You're suppose to buff the wax off after you put it on!

elliot