PDA

View Full Version : swirls with megs 151 reconditon cream

nabisco shine
08-28-2013, 02:58 AM
he guys so i did a black car today and i was doing some swirl work. i used megs 151 cream and it did the job great!! u cant see any swirls after i did that pass but when u look at in in a angle it looks like there is some still there! what should i do? i used a portal cable and a yellow pad megs pad. and i am not comftable with a rotary buffer so i wont use that. thanks

geekdout
08-28-2013, 05:02 AM
What kind of car is it that you are working on ? In the Megs line Yellow is their polishing pad. I would step down to a finishing pad with the same M151 and do a test spot. good luck

Mike Phillips
08-28-2013, 06:19 AM
You're either not removing all the swirls or leaving haze behind, can you tell which?

Do a search on this forum using the word,

Troubleshooting

As I have typed out a number of times how to troubleshoot where and what the problems are.

Chances are good you're just not removing them and you need to use a dedicated compound or polish. Cleaner/waxes are limited in what they can do. Another way of saying that is cleaner/waxes are limited in how much paint they can remove.

:)

Mike Phillips
08-28-2013, 06:21 AM
From this thread...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/67212-first-time-polishing-caused-swirls-4.html

You can troubleshoot the origins of the problem by troubleshooting.

See post #80 of this thread...

I'm baffled - still have swirls after hours of work (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/59577-i-m-baffled-still-have-swirls-after-hours-work-8.html)

Here you go, how to troubleshoot this problem...

How to troubleshoot a problem
Find a section where you see the defects and place a tape-line across it so the defects are on both sides of the tape line.

Next buff on just one side using good technique with your compound and polish like you're doing a Test Spot.

Step 1 - Place a tape-line down across the section of paint where you see the problem.

Step 2 - Take your DA Polisher, a clean foam "polishing" pad and some Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and buff on one side of the tape-line for about 6-8 section passes. DON'T BUFF TO A DRY BUFF. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEE A WET FILM OF PRODUCT BEHIND THE PATH OF TRAVEL FOR THE POLISHER/PAD. Anytime you see you are buffing dry, STOP BUFFING.

I cover dry buffing and how to recover from dry buffing in my how-to book on page 106 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/64360-detailing-how-book-detailing-how-e-book.html)

Step 3 - Carefully wipe the polish residue off the section you just buffed before it dries and then inspect like shown here,

How to correctly fold and use a Microfiber Towel (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/29230-how-correctly-fold-use-microfiber-towel.html)

Are the defects gone? If so, move to the next step.

Do the defects remain? If so post back here what you see.
:)

KneeDragr
08-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Probably isnt enough cut with D151 and a DA unless you use a MF cutting pad.

Sunshyne
08-28-2013, 12:53 PM
D151 or any other AIO are not meant to be pure correction creams. It also depends on the hardness of the paint and type of pad being used. I did a a BMW with the Megs MF pads on a Rupes 21 with D151 and it worked out really well. Did it correct to where I wanted? Nope. I gave the customer what he wanted and paid for. It however did achieve 50-65% correction which was a drastic improvement.

I would try a different pad as others have stated, step up to a stronger pad and I think you might see better results.

nabisco shine
08-29-2013, 03:14 AM
D151 or any other AIO are not meant to be pure correction creams. It also depends on the hardness of the paint and type of pad being used. I did a a BMW with the Megs MF pads on a Rupes 21 with D151 and it worked out really well. Did it correct to where I wanted? Nope. I gave the customer what he wanted and paid for. It however did achieve 50-65% correction which was a drastic improvement.

I would try a different pad as others have stated, step up to a stronger pad and I think you might see better results.

wow good point!! i never thought of that! thanks for the awnser!!