PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use shotgun swabs for detailing?

SR99
08-27-2013, 07:46 PM
While looking for some cleaning brushes today I came across shotgun swabs. They come in various diameters and lengths, and are usually a cotton nap, sort of like a cotton bottlebrush.

Seems like they would be more useful than regular q-tip swabs for cleaning tight areas on the interior/dash, door jambs, and engine compartment. I assume they can be cleaned and reused, or otherwise they'd be too expensive at $1.50-2.50 each. The also come with threaded ends so you could attach them to a narrow pole or even attach them to a small rotary tool.

Just wondered if anyone has tried them for detailing and how they worked out?

Audiman77
08-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Not shotgun but I use G Tip gun q tips for interior detailing. They don't unravel and they're pointed. Come in different sizes. Good stuff

MarkD51
08-27-2013, 10:41 PM
While looking for some cleaning brushes today I came across shotgun swabs. They come in various diameters and lengths, and are usually a cotton nap, sort of like a cotton bottlebrush.

Seems like they would be more useful than regular q-tip swabs for cleaning tight areas on the interior/dash, door jambs, and engine compartment. I assume they can be cleaned and reused, or otherwise they'd be too expensive at $1.50-2.50 each. The also come with threaded ends so you could attach them to a narrow pole or even attach them to a small rotary tool.

Just wondered if anyone has tried them for detailing and how they worked out?

Never thought of using such Shotgun Bore Mops for auto detailing, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

I do like shooting as a hobby, and have virtually all types of firearms, and have had such Mops for countless years. They've seen harsh bore solvents-cleaners, and a variety of lubricating-protecting oils, and basically never wear out.

I believe virtually all of these Mops are wound onto heavy brass wire, so there's no worry of rust if used with water based cleaners, and I imagine they'd also be impervious to any interior treatment products as well.

These often come in a standardized thread size, that they can be usually screwed onto a shorter handle-rod, like what would used for handgun cleaning. Thus, you screw the Mop on, and go to town, thoroughly probing the depths of AC Vents, and other various nooks and crannies without the worry of losing the Mop inside a Vent-etc.
Mark

Pureshine
08-28-2013, 01:33 AM
I use the extra long q-tips there really cheap.

BillE
08-28-2013, 06:57 AM
Another great idea comes forth.

Thanx...

Bill