PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie, hailing from upstate NY

CharlzO
08-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Greetings all. Just wanted to say hi. Name is Charles, from upstate NY (hence the title lol).

Not much to tell, but here goes..

Always was a basic automotive enthusiast, but never really had anything spectacular that required anything more than just a basic car wash. Last year, I treated myself to a used BMW 328ci, black. And it looked pretty sharp at the dealer. And then their wax wore off. And then it only looked sharp at night, or when it was overcast and the car was wet. Lots of surface swirls and such.

So, recently I started looking into getting some correction and detailing done. There's one guy local who I talked to, seemed relatively cheap on the quote, but then told me his process, and after having read different things online, it seemed...weak, basically.

Like many people, I'm sure, I was a bit overwhelmed when reading about how people do this. Different pads, compounds, rotary, and so many more things, I was just way too timid to try something like that. I had bought things like Meguiars Ultimate compound and other things, to try by hand, but looking back, probably didn't put nearly enough actual effort into applying it. So then I stumbled across a youtube video with a guy wetsanding out a tiny surface scratch. So I mustered up the nerves, and bought some 2500, and tried a little spot under my drivers mirror. And FREAKED. Because it worked a bit on the scratches, but omg, now it's dull! So, trying to remain as calm as could be, I started going at it with the polish I had. And after a couple passes...I was amazed. It was smooth and glossy again! And instantly went "Wow, I fixed it! I got it smooth again! It shines! I can do this!"

So fast-forward a week, and then I stumbled across the Meguiars DA Microfiber kit and videos on it. And that has given me enough confidence that I can at least attempt to do something like that on my own car without fear of messing up too badly. And if I turn out ok, and if I feel like venturing further, then I can look into others.

Long story short, it'll be a learning process for me for sure, but I'm nervously excited to give it a go!

inDetail
08-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Welcome and HAVE FUN!!!

Evan.J
08-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Dogfather
08-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Welcome to AGO!
Looking forward to heading upstate this W/E.

CharlzO
08-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Welcome to AGO!
Looking forward to heading upstate this W/E.

awesome. Not coming up for the Field of Dreams show by chance are ya? lol. Just a shot in the dark.

Got my PC today, so I'll be posting my initial findings in another thread somewhere in a bit. And thanks all for the welcome!

I got looking back, and was like "wow, people are going to lynch me for wetsanding without really knowing anything" lol. In my defense, well..there's not much of one, but I did make sure I didn't go through the clear. I was probably a million times more timid than most people would be lol. I don't think I succeeded in much of a repair, as it was just scuffing the clear. But being able to bring back the gloss, as simple as it is, definitely was my empowering moment.

sproketser
08-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Welcome aboard mate , nice intro . A great place to learn .

Matt Jones
08-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Welcome! Where in Upstate are you from? I am from Binghamton, NY!

Dogfather
08-28-2013, 02:02 PM
awesome. Not coming up for the Field of Dreams show by chance are ya? lol. Just a shot in the dark.

No. Saratoga. A car show would be nice, but Elmira would be too much of a detour.

cplchris
08-28-2013, 02:12 PM
No. Saratoga. A car show would be nice, but Elmira would be too much of a detour.

all i will say is PJ's bbq-s-a just off of 13n on the northway (i-87)

cplchris
08-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Greetings all. Just wanted to say hi. Name is Charles, from upstate NY (hence the title lol).

Not much to tell, but here goes..

Always was a basic automotive enthusiast, but never really had anything spectacular that required anything more than just a basic car wash. Last year, I treated myself to a used BMW 328ci, black. And it looked pretty sharp at the dealer. And then their wax wore off. And then it only looked sharp at night, or when it was overcast and the car was wet. Lots of surface swirls and such.

So, recently I started looking into getting some correction and detailing done. There's one guy local who I talked to, seemed relatively cheap on the quote, but then told me his process, and after having read different things online, it seemed...weak, basically.

Like many people, I'm sure, I was a bit overwhelmed when reading about how people do this. Different pads, compounds, rotary, and so many more things, I was just way too timid to try something like that. I had bought things like Meguiars Ultimate compound and other things, to try by hand, but looking back, probably didn't put nearly enough actual effort into applying it. So then I stumbled across a youtube video with a guy wetsanding out a tiny surface scratch. So I mustered up the nerves, and bought some 2500, and tried a little spot under my drivers mirror. And FREAKED. Because it worked a bit on the scratches, but omg, now it's dull! So, trying to remain as calm as could be, I started going at it with the polish I had. And after a couple passes...I was amazed. It was smooth and glossy again! And instantly went "Wow, I fixed it! I got it smooth again! It shines! I can do this!"

So fast-forward a week, and then I stumbled across the Meguiars DA Microfiber kit and videos on it. And that has given me enough confidence that I can at least attempt to do something like that on my own car without fear of messing up too badly. And if I turn out ok, and if I feel like venturing further, then I can look into others.

Long story short, it'll be a learning process for me for sure, but I'm nervously excited to give it a go!

welcome from Albany, NY...what part of upstate are you from?

Dogfather
08-28-2013, 02:44 PM
all i will say is PJ's bbq-s-a just off of 13n on the northway (i-87)

Since they've renovated it lost a lot of its charm.

And :nomore: Onion petals.:mad:

cplchris
08-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Since they've renovated it lost a lot of its charm.

And :nomore: Onion petals.:mad:
yea i always liked going there when i was little and im glad the change didnt turn the food to poop though.

cwilliams4296
08-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Welcome from Ballston Spa,Ny. I'm just a few minutes away from the Saratoga race course and Pjs BBQ

CharlzO
08-29-2013, 08:59 AM
welcome from Albany, NY...what part of upstate are you from?

Down near Sidney, between Binghamton and Oneonta on 88. Small, quiet, and...boring. lol. Used to work at Radio Shack in East Greenbush way back in the day. Was quite the commute lol