PDA

View Full Version : Grocery List

Pages : [1] 2

buddybash
08-27-2013, 12:30 PM
After spending the past month on here reading reviews, comment, watching “how to” videos, asking question etc. I have come the realization it is not possible to get a concrete answer but after careful consideration I have finally put together a list that I feel will work for my needs.

Polisher – Rupes LHR 21es – This was a hard choice because I almost went with the Flex 3401 but I choose the Rupes because after reading reviews it seems that the Rupes is a much better device for a beginner, now granted I can get a cheaper polisher but I do not see a point as I would eventually by a Rupes or Flex polisher.

Wash:
Wolfgang Half Gallon Foamaster Foam Gun
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss 16 oz
Wolfgang Auto Bathe
Meguiars X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt
Meguiars X2000 Water Magnet Drying Towel

Detailing Clay:
Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay Bar 200 Grams
32 oz. Wolfgang Heavy Duty PVC Clear Spray Bottle
Wolfgang Clay Lubricant 128 oz

Product/Misc:
Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 16 oz.
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 16 oz.
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
Foam Pad Conditioning Brush
Brinkmann Maxfire Dual Xenon Rechargeable Swirl Finder Spotlight
Super Soft Deluxe Microfiber Towels with Rolled Edges, 6 Pack
Lake Country 6.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack & 4 inch 6 pack as well
- 2 yellow
- 2 white
- 2 blue
CCS Euro Foam Hand Polish Applicators
CarPro Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser 16 oz

I went a little wolfgang crazy but it was either the wolfgang or the M105/205.

cplchris
08-27-2013, 12:37 PM
i would reccomend nanoskin's fine grade wash mitt, did my entire jeep in about 15 or 20 minutes with it, normally takes almost 1.5 to 2 hours with traditional clay.

Superman0440
08-27-2013, 12:45 PM
I would recommend a compound but I'm no pro

Superman0440
08-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Smart move to go with a rupes I was being cheap and bought the GG but I had to get the rupes

wompasaurus
08-27-2013, 12:48 PM
you can ditch clay lube for onr way cheaper 15.99 for 32oz. 2oz onr makes 1 gallon of clay lube. also onr has many uses other than a clay lube. when you buy products look for the products that have multiple uses saves you money and you end up not needing a ton of different things. I cant say much about any of the wolfgang products as i've never used them. also how are you going to use 4" pads on the rupes 21es? they dont make a backing plate that small for the 21es?

goldendodo19
08-27-2013, 01:03 PM
The meguiars water magnet isn't the best waffle weave out there so I'd skip that. Also recommend a nanoskin towel over the clay.

Evan.J
08-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Get the 1/4 foam gun. Get a cobra guzzler towel. The Rupes can't do the four inch pads. You can do without the conditioning brush kids clean your pad on the fly.

Wolfgang stuff is made by menzerna so get the FG400 compound. I would get optimum no rinse and use that as your clay lube. If you can get a clay alternative. Get a few more polishing pads and maybe one it two more cutting pads.

Finally what are you working on? What's the condition? What's are your goals?

buddybash
08-27-2013, 03:08 PM
i would reccomend nanoskin's fine grade wash mitt, did my entire jeep in about 15 or 20 minutes with it, normally takes almost 1.5 to 2 hours with traditional clay.

I have never read about nanoskin, does it provide the same result as claying a car?

I would recommend a compound but I'm no pro

What do you recommend I go with?

Smart move to go with a rupes I was being cheap and bought the GG but I had to get the rupes

I know I am a beginner but from what I have read as long as I stay away from a rotatory polisher I should be fine. I just wish the Rupes had a more powerful motor like the Flex.

you can ditch clay lube for onr way cheaper 15.99 for 32oz. 2oz onr makes 1 gallon of clay lube. also onr has many uses other than a clay lube. when you buy products look for the products that have multiple uses saves you money and you end up not needing a ton of different things. I cant say much about any of the wolfgang products as i've never used them. also how are you going to use 4" pads on the rupes 21es? they dont make a backing plate that small for the 21es?

Rupes offers a 3 inch back plate, is a 4 inch pad to large for a 3 inch backplate?

The meguiars water magnet isn't the best waffle weave out there so I'd skip that. Also recommend a nanoskin towel over the clay.

Well must have some weight to it if others think this way, I will read up on it.

Get the 1/4 foam gun. Get a cobra guzzler towel. The Rupes can't do the four inch pads. You can do without the conditioning brush kids clean your pad on the fly.

Wolfgang stuff is made by menzerna so get the FG400 compound. I would get optimum no rinse and use that as your clay lube. If you can get a clay alternative. Get a few more polishing pads and maybe one it two more cutting pads.

Finally what are you working on? What's the condition? What's are your goals?

I bought a year old car about a month and a half back and the paint needs some love. No tiny scratches, very few but the paint has swirl marks all over. The goal is to make it look like the day it was rolled of the production line.

Switching the cart to the Cobra Guzzel towel.
What do you mean by go without the cleaning brush, clean on the fly? - what do you use to clean your pads as you go?

How do you feel about my selection of the wolfgang products? Do you feel it is a wise choice for compounding/polishing/sealing?

Evan.J
08-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Cleaning your pad on the fly

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20135-how-clean-your-foam-pad-fly.html

If you just have swirls you may just need a
Polish and not a compound that's why a test spot is key.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html

ski2
08-27-2013, 05:50 PM
Just a thought: from everything I've read the Rupes is really not underpowered, it just requires superb technique--keeping the pad flat even on curved panels, proper light pressure, etc, etc. So perhaps something like the Griots Garage DA with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" flat pads and a 3.5" backing plate with 4" flat pads (for the small bits) might better suit a beginner to help develop proper technique. It certainly has the power to do everything you want as far as correction and polishing, is allot less expensive and has a lifetime warranty. I can't image spending the money on a Rupes or Flex for that matter for just doing my own two cars and a friend's or family members from time to time. Don't forget the best plan is to do the heavy correction once then develop proper washing techniques etc so that you only have to do a light polishing from time to time.

wompasaurus
08-27-2013, 05:52 PM
the 3 inch backing plate rupes offers is not for the 21es its for the lhr75 which only takes a 3" plate. your best going with a flex xc3401 you accomplish alot more with them in less time than a standard da. don't be intimidated just do the research and learn the technique and you'll be fine.

scrubs147
08-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Yet, not one thing on the list is edible.

custmsprty
08-27-2013, 06:05 PM
just a thought: From everything i've read the rupes is really not underpowered, it just requires superb technique--keeping the pad flat even on curved panels, proper light pressure, etc, etc. So perhaps something like the griots garage da with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" flat pads and a 3.5" backing plate with 4" flat pads (for the small bits) might better suit a beginner to help develop proper technique. It certainly has the power to do everything you want as far as correction and polishing, is allot less expensive and has a lifetime warranty. I can't image spending the money on a rupes or flex for that matter for just doing my own two cars and a friend's or family members from time to time. Don't forget the best plan is to do the heavy correction once then develop proper washing techniques etc so that you only have to do a light polishing from time to time.

go with the rupes you'll just wish you had later.

VP Mark
08-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Skip the wolfgang clay lubricant. Get 32 oz. or ONR and it will make you dozens of 32 oz. bottle of clay lubricant, and you will have the ability to rinseless wash later on.

buddybash
08-27-2013, 09:35 PM
A question was asked earlier about the condition of the car.
Here are some photos, these swirls are all over the paint, sorry the images are not the best quality.