PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Rotary Polisher - Recommendations?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Booki
08-26-2013, 08:24 PM
I have been using my DAS6Pro for quite a while not (similar to the GG6 Polisher I believe), its a random orbital polisher.

Now I have been getting into spray painting and painted up my first bumper the other day.

I am now wanting to sand and buff the clear coat, I don't think that a random orbital is up the task of this...or at least doing it quickly. I will eventually be painting the whole car.

I have had good results with my DAS6Pro, but the results are very time consuming. This is not the case with a rotary is it?

I don't want to waste heaps of time using my random orbital when i can use a rotary and do it alot quicker.

So, without going horribly cheap and horribly expensive.
Whats a good rotary?

And who knows, maybe using the rotary will save me from painting the whole car :P

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Right in the middle of high and low priced rotaries will be the Dewalt and Makita. Either one is very good. I have a Dewalt 849x.

Booki
08-26-2013, 11:08 PM
I have been eyeing off the makita, but its a little steep at about $380AUD.
Checked eBay and seen them delivered from the states much cheaper...but I think I may have issues with it working on our 240v power.

Booki
08-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Will a rotary do what I'm asking though? Quick passes and a glass like finish?
The dual action takes many slow passes to achieve a decent result..

MajinAl
08-27-2013, 12:12 AM
flex pe 14 and those buffer trails will be awesome!

pukapants
08-27-2013, 01:32 AM
flex pe 14 and those buffer trails will be awesome!

I use a flex PE 14 and love it! I also use a few DAs and like those also. What's the point of your post? Sounds like you tried a Flex PE 14 once and had a bad experience? The purpose of this thread is a recommendation for a rotary, your comment adds nothing to the discussion. Using a rotary take a lot of practice but the results are much better than a DA.

My suggestion would be to fork over the money and buy the Flex PE 14, Makita, or DeWalt and learn how to use it properly.

DetailedByPrecision
08-27-2013, 01:34 AM
I would recommend the Dewalt over the Mikita. I work at a body shop and currently have both machines available for me to use. The dewalt weighs less, starts at 600 rpm, grip feels better, more power/torque, more durable in terms of being able to take much more continuous hours of operation, and better overall feel of the machine.

davey g-force
08-27-2013, 01:42 AM
Hmm.. where have I seen this question before? :poke:

Booki
08-27-2013, 03:38 AM
Hmm.. where have I seen this question before? :poke:

Ha ha davey,

After being recommended the SCA buffer, I kinda gave up on JC....

My whole reason for wanting a rotary - DIY Paint your car at home Wet Sand n Buff.... - YouTube (http://youtu.be/4IAU21Hsa_w)

kaanage
09-21-2013, 07:37 PM
You could try the Mint Rotary from Car Car Products
http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/mint_protools/rotary_polisher

TundraPower
09-21-2013, 09:08 PM
Why exactly would you want a rotary?

Booki
09-22-2013, 04:17 AM
Faster results, can buff new paint after sanding to remove orange peel.

I believe a DA can do pretty much everything a rotary can...but it just takes way too long imo.

Hoping for much faster results with a rotary - specifically the Makita is what i am eyeing off

ken tuep
09-22-2013, 04:59 AM
You are correct with all of your ideas why a rotary is needed. Some instances require a rotary for sanity.

I wouldn't do this without one, that's a fact. I have a flex 3401, and still reach for my rotary for the more gnarly stuff. Hard paint turns to butter with a rotary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

TundraPower
09-22-2013, 09:35 AM
I will put Rupes 21 against any rotary any day.

swanicyouth
09-22-2013, 09:52 AM
I will put Rupes 21 against any rotary any day.

Some guys that are very experienced say you can get a crisper finish with a rotary than you can get with any DA.

I don't know if its legit, or if I would be able to see a difference, but the "sayers" of this are quite experienced and legit.