PDA

View Full Version : Optimum GPS tips

Lowejackson
08-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Hopefully a bottle of GPS will arrive on Tuesday. My original plan was to use it with the rotary but my health is not that great so the new plan is to apply it by hand. Therefore does anyone have any experience or tips they can offer for GPS

Hoytman
08-26-2013, 03:35 PM
If your health is an issue then you need to get a dual action polisher because it's much easier on you than working by hand.

Lowejackson
08-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the very quick reply. Unfortunately a DA is not practical, I seem to have some kind of nerve damage in both arms and I moved from the DA to a rotary as the vibrations from the DA caused my hands to become numb within a few minutes.

There are some days when I could use a rotary but currently this is not possible and I am rather keen to try the GPS and the latest version of Opti-Seal.

FUNX650
08-26-2013, 03:56 PM
From this posting: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/43570-review-optimum-gps.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/GPS.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/63221)

Hope you start feeling better...real soon!

:)

Bob

MarkD51
08-26-2013, 04:04 PM

20939I have Optimum GPS, bought a 1/2 gal of the product about 7-8 months ago, right here from AG. I did my white 6x12 Cargo Trailer with it, and used my PC DA with the cruddy throw away Pad-Plate that comes with the machine. (figured it would be good for something like this, and it worked OK)

IMO, GPS is nice AIO product, it worked easily enough both on, and off, and got out mucho dirt, and film hazing off the trailer, which had never been done like this, only by hand with waxes. It didn't take out bird bomb etching, but I didn't expect it would.

I believe it to be a mild polish, and as far as longevity, there are probably products out there that might last longer. I have no empirical tests to confirm how long it lasts?

The Rotary still might be the best method to extract the best from this product versus hand application, because I feel the polish content is relatively mild. Perhaps something like a foam waffle pad, like one would apply a glaze with.

I later did top with Opti-Seal, hoping for longer protection. Whether this was correct to apply Opti-Seal directly over GPS I cannot say? Perhaps not, but I encountered no issues with the Opti-Seal application, no hazing, or streaking-etc.

Hope this helps,
Mark

flamed03vert
08-26-2013, 05:06 PM
pretty sure all Optimum products are designed to work together, much like Poli Seal being followed with Opti Seal.

KBsToy
08-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Used GPS on my R/T. I applied it by hand and directions like Bob posted. Cars paint was in good shape just wanted something to clean it up a bit.

Mike Phillips
08-27-2013, 10:13 AM
so the new plan is to apply it by hand. Therefore does anyone have any experience or tips they can offer for GPS

I like GPS for what it is which is a very light cleaner/wax.

You know the normal stuff, wash and dry car, inspect for contaminants and if you find them remove them via claying or some other process.

When you go to use it, remember that when you use a finishing wax like on a show car the goal is to apply a thin coat.

Not so when using a cleaner/wax. You want plenty of "liquid" on the surface to both lubricate the surface as you work the paint but also to ensure there are plenty of chemical cleaning agents and abrasives on the surface.

So don't overuse it like in a sloppy mess on the paint but do use the product what I call, heavy or wet.

Work a panel at a time, allow to dry to a haze and then wipe off softly with a clean microfiber towel.

I used to use this product a lot on my old Jimmy which was a daily driver, always parked outside. I would spray the panels down and then machine apply using a PC and a white LC Polishing pad. Kept the paint clean and shiny all the time and it was f-a-s-t...

:)

Lowejackson
08-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks for all the responses :xyxthumbs: