PDA

View Full Version : Dusty car care

Glowrdr
08-26-2013, 02:04 PM
So I spent 14 hours this past weekend correcting the exterior of my car (black Infiniti). I literally drive a block down the road, and my car is dusty. Every time.

What is the proper care for this? Say I'm going to a car show (which I do probably monthly) - is it OK to use a microfiber to wipe the car down? Are those california dusters any better/different? I know the "best" answer is to wash the car, but that's not always feasible to be washing my car everytime I drive it. lol

I've never messed with waterless/rinseless washes. I honestly don't even know how something like that would work - is this what I need to look into? Seems excessive, but again, I really don't know what I'm talking about in this area.

I do have a few bottles of QD that I mainly use for claying. I'm kind of thinking QD+MF is probably my best solution? I don't want all this work to be for nothing if I can't keep a clean car and show it off. In case it matters, this is a DD vehicle for me - so the dust I am speaking of is a daily occurance, not just when I take the queen out of the garage.

Thanks in advance! Feed back please

jpegs13
08-26-2013, 02:49 PM
Yes, a little QD and a MF wipe down will do the trick, as long as it's "dust" and not road grime. Try a waterless wash, like this: Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash with Carnauba, waterless car wash, eco friendly car wash products (http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-waterless-car-wash.html)

There is no quick fix without getting swirls and scratches, so be careful in your desire to "save time". In the long run, it may cost you time AND money

cleanmycorolla
08-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Waterless washes like Pinnacle and Ultima are IMO, ideal for situations like this, you can give the car a quick once over with a couple quality towels in just a few minutes and come out with a clean crisp look!

IAtegeler
08-26-2013, 03:16 PM
I have a black car as well and feel your pain! I recently started using rinsless wash when it is just dusty from sitting out at work and daily driving. Works awesome and have introduced no damage to the paint or wheels. Then every now and then I will follow up with DG awuawax

hoyt66
08-26-2013, 07:04 PM
I live on a dirt road. Despite having a silver car it stills shows dust. I use blackfire waterless wash or pinn waterless wash w/nuba and 2 artic whites per wipe down. It stinks! I have to pull over a mile from the house to go thru a ritual of cleaning the dust off. Likewise when I get home as I can't stand a dirty car in the garage. Waterless washes are perfect. If it gets to dirty and I can't get to the hose and use a rinseless wash. Good luck!

Audiman77
08-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Same issue w me. Black audi a5. I use a California duster and GENTLY swipe the dust off. Then hit it with a plush microfiber and some QD

silverfox
08-27-2013, 05:14 AM
For one thing if you are using a wax as your LSP, forget about it. A coating is probably best for dusty environments. Even some sealants like Carpro hydro2 would work well because its fast, and leaves your paint like glass and practically washes itself should it rain.

If going to a car show, a waterless wash preferably one without carnauba. Carnauba is your enemy if you are concerned about dust.

mpkav
08-27-2013, 05:45 AM
I just ordered the Ultima waterless wash concentrate!! Lots of good reviews here on the forum!