PDA

View Full Version : Advice please: removing coffee stains on pseudo-suede fabric

1fastTbird
08-26-2013, 11:06 AM
AG members, I need your advice on this one:

I just spoke to my father who was very upset because he spilled coffee on the seats of his "baby" aka his 2001 SVT Lightning. In addition to helping him out, I am indirectly helping myself out because I'll be the next owner of the truck, so needless to say I want to keep it as perfect as possible. The fabric on the seats is the factory pseudo-suede material.

What process and products would you use on cleaning the seats. I assume like paint correction, the idea is to do a test spot with the least aggressive method, then work up. I am not a professional detailer, so I do not have access to a steam machine of anything like that (and if the answer is to simply have it professionally cleaned, I can handle that.) I have Meguires APC+, but thats about it when it comes to anything that can be used on fabric.

statusdetailing
08-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Don't touch it with apc+. You'll end up setting the stain because it is a high ph chemical. I have a neutral ph spotter that works well.

You want to keep coffee stains as dry as possible or else you will clean it up and then a few hours later it will always come right back.

I would try a couple things:

Buy some Folex from a local home depot or lowes. Spray it directly onto a microfiber towel (Not the seat!) and then gently dab and wipe. This should work.

Was there any milk or creamer in the coffee? If there was you can add a little peroxide to the folex (around 2 ounces to a 32 ounce bottle). The peroxide helps break up protein stains.

If you don't want to go out and buy folex you can actually get a coffee stain out with white vinegar. Dab a little on a microfiber and then dab and wipe the same way as before.

Without going into the science of it you need a slightly acidic chemical to remove coffee.

APC's will work sometimes, but more often than not they will permanently set coffee stains. High heat can really set a coffee stain as well. You definitely don't want to use steam on a coffee stain.

Detailing by M
08-26-2013, 11:31 AM
hum.... never heard of APC setting a stain.
I use it all the time to take out all of my stains. Including "real" carpet stains in the home. I have a full size carpet cleaner so I'll do some carpet cleaning in homes every once in a while.
So I'd use the APC and water to flush it out and suck it up with a wet-dry vacc.
If you want a dedicated "browning" remover check your local janitorial supply house and they have chemicals to remove anything.

statusdetailing
08-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Haha Thanks you just proved my point. Carpet debrowners are acidic.

You have a 50/50 chance of removing a coffee stain with a high ph chemical...at best. Even if it's removed at the time. The customer may see it reappear days later.

I'm not trying to be a no-it-all here, but I'm right.

I used to think the same way...just hit everything in and on the car with an apc. I got "ok" results.

I finally got tired of struggling with special stains like coffee stains and red stains and did a lot of research (outside of the detailing community)and in a short time I was getting well above average results.

The real information can be found in good, cutting edge, carpet cleaning communities.

1fastTbird
08-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Thank you very much. I'll pick up some Folex and peroxide and give it a go. I greatly appreciate it!

- Jack K

statusdetailing
08-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Just be sure to test the peroxide and folex on a very inconspicuous area first. I've never had either product cause problems but it's always worth a test.

Another thing, if you do decide to use a little peroxide, mix it with the folex in a separate bottle. The peroxide will slowly degrade and be rendered useless after a few hours (due mostly to being exposed to light).

Try folex alone first, on a small portion of the stain. It should work. Try adding a little peroxide if you are having problems.

Try a little vinegar too, if you are having problems. I think you'll be surprised.

If you're worried about were I got this information...it mostly came from attending a training seminar and talking to Rod Craft, a trainer for Meguiar's.

Peroxide is also excellent for blood and can be mixed with APC+ to boost it's power, since many vehicle stains are protein based.

1fastTbird
08-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience and expertise. I'll provide an update once I am finished.

Detailing by M
08-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Haha Thanks you just proved my point. Carpet debrowners are acidic.

You have a 50/50 chance of removing a coffee stain with a high ph chemical...at best. Even if it's removed at the time. The customer may see it reappear days later.

I'm not trying to be a no-it-all here, but I'm right.

I used to think the same way...just hit everything in and on the car with an apc. I got "ok" results.

I finally got tired of struggling with special stains like coffee stains and red stains and did a lot of research (outside of the detailing community)and in a short time I was getting well above average results.

The real information can be found in good, cutting edge, carpet cleaning communities.

Nice! I understand.
My friend has been a carpet cleaner for years and that's who told me about the browning.
I know dedicated products are better then "apcs". Since The OP already has APC then he should use it and he'll be fine. I'd be shocked if it didn't work.
Personalities have 5 different carpet cleaners for specific problems.

Sent while I was Detailing something our doing something detail related.

1fastTbird
09-03-2013, 06:15 AM
Update - The Folex worked great! 95% of the brown coloration from the stain was removed from the seats on the first effort. I am going to let the fabric dry (I didn't want it to get saturated) and possibly will give it a go once again to try to get the stain completely out.

BTW - I cleaned the carpet as well while I was there and the Folex made quick work of normal build-up on the mats and spots on the carpet.

Thanks again for your advice.

statusdetailing
09-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Folex is the best thing since sliced bread! Glad to hear it worked.