PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions. Please help

jwetovick
08-26-2013, 08:38 AM
Hello all. Been reading this forum for 6 months or better. Some awesome info on here and i've read hours upon hours of threads. This is my first post. Anyway, I have purchased some products here and there from this site and have been real happy with them.
My problem is, every time I read a thread about a product I feel like its better than the others i have and I want to try it (I'm sensing this is a common problem?). Cannot afford to do that however :) Here is what I have purchased so far:

DA polisher from Harbor Freight - will be in tomorrow (i know some think this is junk but I'm somewhat on a budget)
5 various foam pads
Klasse AIO - be in tomorrow
Megs #105 - be in tomorrow
Megs #205 - tomorrow
Blackfire seal and polish
Megs gold class liquid wax
Sample size liquid souveran
Sample size Pinnacle swirl remover
DP paste wax - BOGO
bunch of MF
Pinnacle Shampoo
Optima No Rinse
Pinnacle XMT speed clay

so this is most of my new collection. Only plan on doing my own 3 vehicles and 2 harleys and maybe parents cars etc. Not a business by any means. Can someone please help me on what i may or may not need? Like I said i feel like i want everything on this site but if what i have will do the trick thats what i need to know. Looking forward to trying out the DA this weekend. Have always done by hand up to this point and cannot for the life of me get the water spots off my windows!

I'm super desperate for a good trim product to bring back the black trim on my 04 F150 and something to get the water spots off my windows. They have been on there for a couple years and I've tried vinegar and water but wont budge.

Soooo, lets hear the suggestions/comments please. Thanks everyone, great site!

c8n
08-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Did you get a backing plate?
The BP that comes with the HF DA is crap but the DA itself is not bad at all and for a weekend warrior, it should be plenty.

dlowry81
08-26-2013, 08:47 AM
Man I feel your pain and I'm in the same boat. I finally had to say enough is enough, I've got all the products I need. Had a sit down with myself to realize I don't do this for a living and I don't own collector Porsche just a Toyota Camry and Tacoma.

jwetovick
08-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Did you get a backing plate?
The BP that comes with the HF DA is crap but the DA itself is not bad at all and for a weekend warrior, it should be plenty.

I did not order a backing plate but appreciate your info. I may order a new 5.5in and even a 3in BP as well for the smaller areas? Thanks

c8n
08-26-2013, 09:14 AM
I did not order a backing plate but appreciate your info. I may order a new 5.5in and even a 3in BP as well for the smaller areas? Thanks

What size pads did you get?
Many on AG, feel that 5.5" pads are perfect for use with a DA in which case you would need the 5" BP.

A smaller pad actually has better cutting ability and I use either 3" or 4" pads when I do spot corrections and in tight areas.

The 3" BP is a perfect fit for the Meg's DA Power System 4" pads which can be easily acquired at big box chain stores or your local auto parts stores for those times when you just cant wait for AG orders to be shipped.

jwetovick
08-26-2013, 09:32 AM
What size pads did you get?
Many on AG, feel that 5.5" pads are perfect for use with a DA in which case you would need the 5" BP.

A smaller pad actually has better cutting ability and I use either 3" or 4" pads when I do spot corrections and in tight areas.

The 3" BP is a perfect fit for the Meg's DA Power System 4" pads which can be easily acquired at big box chain stores or your local auto parts stores for those times when you just cant wait for AG orders to be shipped.

Thanks for the info. I ordered all 6in pads so hopefully those will work as they were like $11 each which seems pricey but whatever. spent more on 5 pads then the DA polisher. oh well. looks like i will be ordering a 3in BP soon and some 4in pads.

Pureshine
08-26-2013, 10:00 AM
First off don't start with 105 always go with the least aggressive first and work your way up. All ways do a test spot even on the motorcycles the paint will be different on all of them.

ski2
08-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the info. I ordered all 6in pads so hopefully those will work as they were like $11 each which seems pricey but whatever. spent more on 5 pads then the DA polisher. oh well. looks like i will be ordering a 3in BP soon and some 4in pads.

Besides being more effecient and easier to work with this (price) is also the advantage of 5.5" pads. I would urge you to cancel the 6" pads that are $11 each. You will see pretty quickly you are going to need allot more than 5 pads so you're going to be spending allot of money unnecessarily on pads. You can get 5 B&S 5.5" pads for $30 with free shipping.

jwetovick
08-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Besides being more effecient and easier to work with this (price) is also the advantage of 5.5" pads. I would urge you to cancel the 6" pads that are $11 each. You will see pretty quickly you are going to need allot more than 5 pads so you're going to be spending allot of money unnecessarily on pads. You can get 5 B&S 5.5" pads for $30 with free shipping.

I wish there was time to cancel the order but looks like it already shipped. Learning lesson for me once again! Thanks for the info

jwetovick
08-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Now I'm looking into Meg's 1 gallon products and seems like some of them overlap. Any suggestions if a guy was to just get two or three? I'm thinking the APC+ and the hyper dressing. I'm hoping these two will handle cleaning and brightening the engine area and also to brighten up my black trim? suggestions?

mikesal57
08-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Now I'm looking into Meg's 1 gallon products and seems like some of them overlap. Any suggestions if a guy was to just get two or three? I'm thinking the APC+ and the hyper dressing. I'm hoping these two will handle cleaning and brightening the engine area and also to brighten up my black trim? suggestions?

Your correct to get "value" size for APC and tire dressing as it does go fast..

I suggest getting a gallon of the no rinse for the variety of things you make from it, especially detail spray...

mike

c8n
08-27-2013, 11:02 AM
APC+ and Hyper Dressing are 2 items that do not overlap on their intended purposes. I think you are fine. However, Hyper Dressing does not last very long. Maybe a week or two if there is no rain?

However, personally, Hyper Dressing works very well for me since I wash my car once a week and prefer to apply fresh dressing every wash and it washes off relatively easily.

jwetovick
08-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Your correct to get "value" size for APC and tire dressing as it does go fast..

I suggest getting a gallon of the no rinse for the variety of things you make from it, especially detail spray...

mike

appreciate the thoughts. I do have some ONR that I use for claying solution and a quick detail mix as well.

I don't like to hear that the dressing doesn't seem to last very long. I definately don't get to wash my vehicles every week thats for sure. Lucky to get washed every month to be truthful. However with my arsenal building hopefully I'll be more washing more often?