PDA

View Full Version : Haze With Polish

KenVette57
08-25-2013, 06:26 PM
I've been bugging my friend to detail his dark blue 2004 Mustang. He finally gave in and we tackled it yesterday. He had some 3M light cut polish, I used my PC 7424 and a Lake County CCS light cut pink pad. I primed the pad with product, on level 3 I worked a small 2x2 area on the hood the level 6 alternating back and forth, left and right slowly. After the test, I noticed some haze in a spot. I hit the area again and the haze disappeared. Am I using too much product, not enough pressure or the wrong pad. He's a good friend, so he was just happy it shined again.

What you think?

af90
08-25-2013, 06:50 PM
How many section passes did you do? You may have not broken down the product enough, I'm not sure whether 3M is DAT or SMAT.

KenVette57
08-25-2013, 07:14 PM
I did 2 passes each way, most likely didn't break down enough. Do I make passes until the polish totally dissipates to a fine film? I'll be using MEG 205 on my vette with the same pink light cut pad. I'll do a little less product and more passes? Is MEG 205 DAT or SMAT and what's the difference?

loudog2
08-25-2013, 07:42 PM
The pink pad could be leaving some marring behind. Did you try a finishing pad at all. I would not do a one step with anything higher than a LC white pad, meaning no pink, orange or yellow without following with a grey.

VP Mark
08-25-2013, 08:20 PM
It is really about more than pad and polish. It includes paint hardness, condition of vehicle, and skill of the detailer on the machine. On the right paint you can finish with D300 and a microfiber cut pad. Other paints you have to be more careful. Sometimes I will have a stack of pads by a car figuring out what will work best before I will begin with the polishing or compounding.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

KenVette57
08-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Yah, I wasn't doing a one step, I followed with wax on a finishing pad. It turned out pretty good, the finish was in pretty bad shape. I was able to bring it back to decent shape. I will be doing my car next and the paint is in great shape. Just need to get rid of those pesky cobwebs and lite swirls. Just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Mike Phillips
08-27-2013, 04:35 PM
He had some 3M light cut polish,

I used my PC 7424 and a Lake County CCS light cut pink pad.

After the test, I noticed some haze in a spot.

Deja Vu...

I know I've posted this at least twice if not three times in the last week or so...

Not sure exactly what 3M product you're using but read the back label. If it's in their Pro Line it's going to say for use with a rotary buffer. I don't think 3M makes a single Pro product that states it can be used with a DA Polisher and some abrasive technology that works with rotaries leaves DA Haze when used with dual action polishers.

So read the back label and post back here what it states.

I'll be using MEG 205 on my vette with the same pink light cut pad.

I'll do a little less product and more passes? Is MEG 205 DAT or SMAT and what's the difference?

Here read this...

The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23583-aggressiveness-order-smat-products-might-surprise-you.html)

And this...

The SMAT Pack - Everything you ever wanted to know about Meguiar's SMAT products... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23561-smat-pack-everything-you-ever-wanted-know-about-meguiar-s-smat-products.html)

M205 tends to work very well with DA Polishers on cars like Corvettes with harder paint systems.

:)

Mike Phillips
09-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Hey Ken...

Where you at with this Corvette project?

:xyxthumbs:

KenVette57
09-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Hey Mike,

It was my friends Mustang GT, and all turned out well.

Thanks for you help :xyxthumbs: