PDA

View Full Version : Duragloss 531 Review

Pages : [1] 2 3

KillaCam
08-25-2013, 01:43 PM
To start off, I never hear much about this product anywhere and I believe it is a hidden gem, much like many of the products in the Duragloss lineup. I was looking for something to apply to exterior trim, mainly rubber, and also something to use on door seals and the seals around my t tops so they rubber doesn't dry out over time.

I used my dad's car on this review, since mine gets maintained better than his so his was more suitable for this review.
I started off by using a Mother's detail brush and some Meguiar's D101 APC 4:1 to scrub the trim. I should've taken a before pic but the trim almost looked like it had mildew and water spots along with a ton of grime that came off. If your car sits outside 24/7, you should see a ton of black junk come off the rubber. I went over all the trim pieces twice to make sure it was a clean surface for the DG 531 to bond to.
After that I rinsed off the trim and proceeded to wash the car since it needed it badly.

After drying, this is what the trim looked like..
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/26/ezajemep.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/26/9umajyma.jpg
I swiped my finger across it and no dirt came off so it was ready for the product to be applied. Notice how faded and dried out the trim looks before anything was applied to it.
For this experiment, it was my first time using this bottle. If it looks like the same bottle duragloss uses for their wax eraser, that's because it is.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/26/4amugeza.jpg
The normal bottle comes in a large bottle with a spray head that seems to get clogged at the tip a lot so I got a few of these bottles and they REALLY help with applying it evenly and you don't waste any product. The foam tip is perfect for applying 531 to seals and all rubber.
I've applied this stuff anywhere from about 50 degrees up to 90 degrees and it goes on no problem in ether. It was ~80 degrees today and it went on great.
Upon application, it will look like it is going on unevenly and actually looks like crap. Don't worry, it will come out great. I applied two coats for maximum durability (Duragloss recommends two coats for more durability). The second coat goes on even easier and makes sure you get coverage so there's no reason not to do it.
Here's what it looked like after two coats were applied and left to dry in the sun for about ten minutes.
First coat
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/26/saqa9yve.jpg
Second coat
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/26/qe4e5u4e.jpg

So at this point, it looks sloppy and very uneven. Once it is dry it should have what looks like gel everywhere on the surface. Just grab and old microfiber towel and wipe off the excess until it is all even and smooth.
Once you wipe it off you should be left with this...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/26/hute2e6a.jpg

KillaCam
08-25-2013, 01:47 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/26/6y4y5ehu.jpg
Dark, black trim that has a nice sheen to it. It should last you many months and bead water like crazy. I noticed that 531 doesn't run off or streak either, just make sure to buff off the excess like I said.
When I was doing this review, some actually dribbled down the paint and it dried in the sun. I grabbed some DG 105 and a foam applicator and gently applied to and it cleaned it right off!
Here's a pic of the car afterwards, it sees nothing but duragloss products.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/26/jugu8era.jpg

Kevin Cullen
08-25-2013, 01:51 PM
There is a little bit of smearing under the trim on the paint. Should one tape off the paint or is this product paint safe and can just be wiped off?

Kevin Cullen
08-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Had another look at the pictures. Might just be a cloud reflection.

KillaCam
08-25-2013, 01:56 PM
There is a little bit of smearing under the trim on the paint. Should one tape off the paint or is this product paint safe and can just be wiped off?

Which picture are you referring to? None of the ones posted have any smearing on the paint, that's just a reflection. I actually just went back outside to double check my work.
However, if you wipe it off as soon as it drips on the paint it should come off fine. I literally let it bake in the hot sun on the paint. You could tape it off for extra precaution but I don't think it's needed as long as you're careful.

Kevin Cullen
08-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Which picture are you referring to? None of the ones posted have any smearing on the paint, that's just a reflection. I actually just went back outside to double check my work.
However, if you wipe it off as soon as it drips on the paint it should come off fine. I literally let it bake in the hot sun on the paint. You could tape it off for extra precaution but I don't think it's needed as long as you're careful.

Yes i went back and looked at the pictures agian and it is just the clouds reflection. Damn small screen phones :).

I use some Duragloss products now but am really thinking I need to ckeck out some more. Thanks for the review.

Setec Astronomy
08-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Just in case anyone else spends a long time looking for this product like I did, the name is Marine & RV Protectant.

KillaCam
08-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Yes i went back and looked at the pictures agian and it is just the clouds reflection. Damn small screen phones :).

I use some Duragloss products now but am really thinking I need to ckeck out some more. Thanks for the review.

Yeah I thought the same thing when I was looking at those pictures at first. DG doesn't disappoint!

Just in case anyone else spends a long time looking for this product like I did, the name is Marine & RV Protectant.

I typed in "duragloss 531" in the autogeek store search bar and it came right up. If I knew how to edit the title I would change it for everyone.

Setec Astronomy
08-25-2013, 03:05 PM
I typed in "duragloss 531" in the autogeek store search bar and it came right up. If I knew how to edit the title I would change it for everyone.

Yeah, I thought it would be faster to go to the DG site, where I typed in "531" and it came back with no hits.

davidc
08-25-2013, 03:24 PM
I have been using this for quite a while now. It beauties and gets absorbed into the rubber pieces I have applied it to and actually restored flexibilty to those pieces. It does not wash off or run, when I have some on the paint some 932 QD takes care of it. The 531 will give months of protection and keep things black. I have also had great success with 253. Now I also have 321. My problem is which one do I use now as they all work great. Great review on cleaning, application and finalizing.

Dave

davidc
08-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I thought it would be faster to go to the DG site, where I typed in "531" and it came back with no hits.

I just typed 531 in the AG search and it came up. All these numbers get confusing to old people. I am starting to remember them tho, that's the scary part.

Dave

silverfox
08-25-2013, 03:37 PM
DG continues to impress.

davidc
08-25-2013, 03:44 PM
DG continues to impress.

Yes they do, and for a great reason. It "works". Everything I have used from DG either lives up to or mostly exceeds expectations or their claims. All at a very reasonable price and tech support is a phone call or email away.

Dave

KillaCam
08-25-2013, 05:30 PM
I have been using this for quite a while now. It beauties and gets absorbed into the rubber pieces I have applied it to and actually restored flexibilty to those pieces. It does not wash off or run, when I have some on the paint some 932 QD takes care of it. The 531 will give months of protection and keep things black. I have also had great success with 253. Now I also have 321. My problem is which one do I use now as they all work great. Great review on cleaning, application and finalizing.

Dave

It really does make the rubber turn out great. It impresses me every time I see any water touch it. Nothing sticks to it.
I'll have to mix up some 932 as a QD, haven't tried mine as that yet. What ratio are you using?

I've been using #253 and #281 a lot lately and I love the look it gives my tires and the durability is awesome, I haven't used it on anything else though. I would try out 321 but I don't need any more tire dressings right now lol.

Have you tried #201? It's mainly for interiors I believe, but I've heard of people having success with it on exterior as well because it repels water and doesn't run or drip in the rain.

Thanks, I was going to include a 50/50 but forgot!

DG continues to impress.

This is true.

davidc
08-25-2013, 05:52 PM
It really does make the rubber turn out great. It impresses me every time I see any water touch it. Nothing sticks to it.
I'll have to mix up some 932 as a QD, haven't tried mine as that yet. What ratio are you using?

I've been using #253 and #281 a lot lately and I love the look it gives my tires and the durability is awesome, I haven't used it on anything else though. I would try out 321 but I don't need any more tire dressings right now lol.

Have you tried #201? It's mainly for interiors I believe, but I've heard of people having success with it on exterior as well because it repels water and doesn't run or drip in the rain.

Thanks, I was going to include a 50/50 but forgot!

This is true.

QD mix = 2oz to 14 oz water = 16oz usable. Haven't used 201 but I did just notice DG does not offer a plastic protectant. I needed to do the plastic fender skirts on the RV and went thru all the DG products I have and noticed nothing states plastic. I just sent DG an email asking about it. I used UTTG which is a great product. I just appled the 321 to two of the three vehicles, tires look great ( no shine with one application), we will see about durability.

Dave