PDA

View Full Version : Recondition Windows? What to use?

MilesTeg
08-25-2013, 02:05 AM
I have an SUV with pretty severe water/mineral damage on the side and rear windows. There is a ton of water spotting, but there more than just some water spots/etching. It's more of a filmly residue that covers all the windows (and ironically, the noticeable water spots actually look more clear than the rest of the window).

I've tried claying the window and using chemical water spot removers, and it really doesn't do much, so I think I need to step up to some sort of polishing work. I already have a DA polisher, so I just was wondering about what product(s) people around here would recommend to make these windows clear again. I'd also like something that can polish out the 'sandblasting' on the windshield, if that's possible.

GTPpilot
08-25-2013, 06:11 AM
I've used Zaino glass polish with my DA with great results. Followed it up with Mother's Chrome polish, also on the DA. Duragloss makes a similar glass polish.

DP Glass Restorer via DA with white pad would probably work just fine, but I haven't tried it yet.

None of this will get rid of severe sandblasting though.

primo spaghetti
08-25-2013, 06:35 AM
carpro ceriglass and use their rayon polishing pads...

i believe swanicyouth just did a write up on here somewhere....

sesclv
08-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Ceriglass hasn't failed me yet. I have to use it on a lot, of my vehicles.

FASTFATBOY
08-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Believe it or not I got some off the other day with a Surbuff pad and M105 On a PC 7424 XP

FUNX650
08-25-2013, 06:48 PM
I have an SUV with pretty severe water/mineral damage on the side and rear windows. There is a ton of water spotting, but there more than just some water spots/etching. It's more of a filmly residue that covers all the windows (and ironically, the noticeable water spots actually look more clear than the rest of the window).

I've tried claying the window and using chemical water spot removers, and it really doesn't do much, so I think I need to step up to some sort of polishing work. I already have a DA polisher, so I just was wondering about what product(s) people around here would recommend to make these windows clear again.
Meguiar's M04 works very well for me to polish away the gunk and funk like you've described above.

It's "less aggressive" than cerium-oxide, that may have to be used on this 'sandblasted windshield...
If you were to decide to go that route, that is.

I'd also like something that can polish out the 'sandblasting' on the windshield, if that's possible.

:)

Bob

goldenlight
08-25-2013, 07:00 PM
I strongly recommend using a Dual actoin polisher to get the spots out. You can do this by hand but it takes longer.

I would recommend the Meguairs Ultimate Compound or Meguiars Mirror Glaze 105..

Ultimate Compound is cheeper. I would try that first.

Robert8194
08-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Glass, just like paint requires the least aggressive method. Ceri on a wool pad and rotary buffer is not first step. Like others, I have had good success with M105 and a DA. If the glass is heavily trashed, I may use surbuf and 105 but like to start slow and work up. I saw someone I consider to be the best in this business scratch the windshield of a corvette so it can be done in the best of hands.