PDA

View Full Version : Head light restoration

mywifehatesclowns
06-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Okay lets be honest. Do we really need products listed to perform this?

I was told that:

2000 grit Wet Sand

Compound

Polish

Sealant

restored!!!!

Critisizm please?

Jimmie
06-11-2007, 08:38 PM
You never know until you get started. Hate giving you a sideways answer but I can't get it figured out. Last Thursday I made a cloudy set look brand new with PB Polish w/Sealant and Edge2K Green pad on the PC. The week before that my three step Plastik System didn't touch a cloudy set (niether did PB Polish). So that set probably needed the sanding.

mywifehatesclowns
06-11-2007, 08:40 PM
I understand - Like everything else it is a per basis call and nothing is ever the "Right way" all the time.

I am just making sure that the process I listed seems normal. I am trying it out on a 2001 Nissan Sentra and a 1997 Ecplise GSX

tod071
06-12-2007, 01:00 AM
If you're using a machine, any polish should take care of it. By hand, I simply use 3M Plastic Cleaner and more recently Megs PlastX.

JBs
06-12-2007, 02:09 AM
i made a thread about this a while ago. did it to my car, and now the lights look brand new!

i'll find it tomorrow.

sparkie
06-12-2007, 04:58 AM
I have this and it works.
Wolfgang Plastik Lens Cleaning System is a three-part system for clean, clear headlight lenses! (http://www.autogeek.net/plastik-lens-cleaning.html)

Gary Sword
06-12-2007, 05:55 AM
There can be many paths to the same desination. The one you choose often depends on what's in your way. I'm not sure if I just made the up or read it on a forture cookie. Anyway your process will work fine. There are also some very good products on the maket. I recently tried some of the Diamondite Plastic Restorer products with very good results.

mywifehatesclowns
06-12-2007, 05:55 AM
I have used the Plasti-X from Meguiars. It is okay for moderate damage. but especialy on Eclipse's where it gets REALLY bad I find that wet sanding is what works.

I like WolfGang Products...don't get me wrong. I am just un-happy with their business "Tactics"...it is just a personal thing. I wil say that I have used their products before and I loved them! Just some other things I did not agree with.

:)

I am just trying to keep cost down and profit up. When I start getting into buying "kits" I start to spend more money and less is made off the job. It is bad enough tons of money go to Fuel!!!!

Thanks a bunch for letting me know that this is a "proper" method. YOu guys are awesome and I glad I choose this as my home forum.

pawpaw
06-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Driving by a fast lube establishment today they have a sign outside that says headlight restoration $89

richy
06-12-2007, 09:43 AM
I have this and it works.
Wolfgang Plastik Lens Cleaning System is a three-part system for clean, clear headlight lenses! (http://www.autogeek.net/plastik-lens-cleaning.html)

Sparkie..how many uses out of one kit?

mywifehatesclowns
06-12-2007, 04:12 PM
pawpaw - I see that often these days now! I would not trust very many of the people whom they employ to touch my car or anyone I know. $89.00 in this area is a little steep as you have guys doing it for $25.00!!!!!

I charge $55.00

ScottB
06-12-2007, 04:58 PM
after using the Wolfgang kit ... I would not go to ala carte. Every part worked as offered and made a big enough difference that the owner of the Malibu took my kit !