PDA

View Full Version : "Hey its my Rep"

DogRescuer
08-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Question folks, have a potential customer who asked me to "wax his car and treat his leather" he will prep (wash) it. He was not there when I went back but HOLY S*** 100% watermarks ie needs polishing ( will not come off with clay).

My problem is this, this job will have my name on it and I really dont want to slap a coat of wax over these ws

I could:

Give him a innsane price to just wax it (by the way Ill see him often)

Or quote him a price to polish and wax it ( maybe an AIO)

It is a big dark blue buick.

Please help me decide.

Evan.J
08-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Well educate your customer explain to him about the water spots and tell him that if he wants them removed (explain to him what they are from, why they are there, and why they should removed) then he will have to pay for a polish.

I however would be doing all the prep work. Is there a reason why he wants to do the prep work?

AutowerxDetailing
08-23-2013, 04:38 PM
I would snap a picture and send it to the customer and give them a quick call for your recommendations and to see what they would prefer you to do in terms of water spot removal.

edit: for some reason I read this as if you were with the car and customer was gone. if you are with them quoting I would simply explain what is involved with major water spot removal and that a wax job will not improve their appearance.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using AG Online

dpscoupe
08-23-2013, 04:40 PM
If hes dead set on the wax only and you're not keen on having your name associated with it, you could as MP says, let someone else have the blessing.

wompasaurus
08-23-2013, 04:53 PM
what i do to sell clients on a service they don't think they need is give them a little demo of the difference. so for instance i'd remove them from a small area and show the owner. If there still not for having them removed. I'll normally pass on the job. you can gain customers faster with a better reputation. but if you do a job and someone sees you doing it and assumes the water spots were your doing then you could loose alot of business. It's always ok to pass on jobs.

DogRescuer
08-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Well educate your customer explain to him about the water spots and tell him that if he wants them removed (explain to him what they are from, why they are there, and why they should removed) then he will have to pay for a polish.

I however would be doing all the prep work. Is there a reason why he wants to do the prep work?
Thanks, simply he feels hes saving $$$$$

UglyBetty
08-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Thanks, simply he feels hes saving $$$$$

Find a new customer........

erichaley
08-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Tell him that you charge extra to do substandard work.

"If you're going to do it, do it right the first time" - Mike Holmes

Detailing by M
08-23-2013, 07:41 PM
walk away and tell him to do it all himself

Meticulous-Detail
08-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Agree with what has already been posted and this goes against what we practice and preach, but if you still want to take the job and make it look like you did a 3 step, I would go with D151 on a MF cutting or finishing pad or best pad on the test spot.

It will clean, polish and protect very well, all in one step. It has nice cutting ability and let it dry to a haze before you remove.

Just an option.

geekdout
08-23-2013, 09:48 PM
Why don't you recommend some products or maybe even sell him some so he can do the job himself. While your at it tell him to stop by autogeek and watch some of the videos, maybe the problem will solve itself.

hernandez.art13
08-23-2013, 10:01 PM
I am still learning the business side, you have to explain to him that a wax job will not correct the paint.

You can still Detail his car, just explain to him that it will not remove the water spots.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w506/ScreamKingArt/C954D6D8-CB12-4FED-B90A-8636F3C2CC10-1318-00000148EBD054EA_zpsb3388ccc.jpg

Good Luck!

Pureshine
08-24-2013, 01:56 AM
I do cars all time with water spots not everyone can afford paint correction. You just need to explain this to the customer and that it would be easier if you did the prep work before waxing. Just explain what it will take to remove the water spots and the cost. If he doesn't want to pay for it then just do the wax and leather job and leave at that. This doesn't me your doing crap work and not everyone cares about their cars like we do :(.

DogRescuer
08-24-2013, 05:24 AM
Agree with what has already been posted and this goes against what we practice and preach, but if you still want to take the job and make it look like you did a 3 step, I would go with D151 on a MF cutting or finishing pad or best pad on the test spot.

It will clean, polish and protect very well, all in one step. It has nice cutting ability and let it dry to a haze before you remove.

Just an option.
Thanks great advice.

I do cars all time with water spots not everyone can afford paint correction. You just need to explain this to the customer and that it would be easier if you did the prep work before waxing. Just explain what it will take to remove the water spots and the cost. If he doesn't want to pay for it then just do the wax and leather job and leave at that. This doesn't me your doing crap work and not everyone cares about their cars like we do :(.
Thanks Ill try educating him, I take for granted all people even knowing what ws are.