PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Compound Question.

Pages : [1] 2

Dogfather
08-23-2013, 10:26 AM
After searching several threads in several forums, I've seen there are many who feel UC can finish LSP ready while the majority feel it needs to be followed with a finishing polish.

I was wondering if the LSP happened to be an AIO, would that obviate the need for a finishing polish?

zmcgovern45
08-23-2013, 10:31 AM
That could work out fine... as always, there is no "go to" combo that will work for everyone. Do your test spots and figure out what works for you.

UC, M105, D300, FG400, (you name the compound), might finish out LSP ready on some paint (usually lighter colors) and may require 1-2 finishing steps on other paint... it just depends on so many things.

c8n
08-23-2013, 10:36 AM
I agree with zmcgovern45

I am one of those people who have experienced UC finishing LSP ready. But a lot of it will depend on the pad and the technique applied and the type of paint.

For example, LC CCS 5.5" orange pad with medium pressure will finish LSP ready on my car. However, if I get aggressive and crush a 4" pad, it will haze my paint.

KillaCam
08-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Although some compounds "appear" lsp ready on lighter colors, they really aren't. The extra polishing step is needed to bring out more gloss. Sometimes it's hard to see a haze or even micro marring on light paints if you don't look hard.
If you're compounding ANY color I would always recommend following with a polish.

zmcgovern45
08-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Although some compounds "appear" lsp ready on lighter colors, they really aren't. The extra polishing step is needed to bring out more gloss. Sometimes it's hard to see a haze or even micro marring on light paints if you don't look hard.
If you're compounding ANY color I would always recommend following with a polish.

I agree... I always like to follow up any compound with a polish just as a personal preference, even if it appears LSP ready, but there are always times when you have to weigh that decision based on customer (or your own) expectations. If someone is expecting maximum defect removal out of a 1 step and you can use a compound and see great results, then it is probably not worth the added expense to the customer to polish it out.

If the compound appears to leave an LSP ready finish, just do a quick test spot with a finishing polish and see if you can notice a difference between the polished area and the compounded area. Check it under several lighting conditions. If you see no remarkable difference, IMO it is not worth the additional time to proceed with a polishing step.

Easy to see Examples (view larger size):

After compounding (minor haze noticeable on black stripe)
https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/1003679_265461646925295_795194574_n.jpg

After polishing (haze removed)
https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/179714_265461650258628_164229922_n.jpg

Test spot to show the difference finish polishing makes... lower portion shows haze left behind on the soft paint from D300 - Top was polished with FF4500
https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/1012771_265461710258622_656364483_n.jpg

Desertnate
08-23-2013, 10:55 AM
When I used UC I found it to be very smooth and could have very easily gone straight to an LSP at that point. However, I went on and hit the car with UP and did not regret it. The surface went from smooth to glass like and I noticed the shine improved as well.

wdmaccord
08-23-2013, 11:17 AM
I think UC has fillers and such that will give you a better look than is actually there. I'd wipe down with 10-15% alcohol solution and take another look. If you see some hazing or left over micro-marring, then polish before LSP. If not, then go to your LSP.

Personally I am always going to polish after any type of compound...that's just my OCD though.

Dogfather
08-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the responses. I don't doubt that UC should be followed with something, but what I was wondering was if your average AIO was up to the task of meeting the needs of both the finishing polish and the LSP, thereby saving a step. I know I'm lazy, but I like spending more time sitting on my porch looking at my work rather than doing the work.

Setec Astronomy
08-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the responses. I don't doubt that UC should be followed with something, but what I was wondering was if your average AIO was up to the task of meeting the needs of both the finishing polish and the LSP, thereby saving a step. I know I'm lazy, but I like spending more time sitting on my porch looking at my work rather than doing the work.

That is the theory, after all that's the concept of D300 followed by D301. As much as the perfectionists would like you to follow with a polish...I think you will be very happy sitting on your porch after UC and an AIO.

zmcgovern45
08-23-2013, 11:45 AM
^^ Agreed.

Dogfather
08-23-2013, 11:46 AM
That is the theory, after all that's the concept of D300 followed by D301. As much as the perfectionists would like you to follow with a polish...I think you will be very happy sitting on your porch after UC and an AIO.

Thanks. That sounds good enough to me. I think I'll give it a shot. Especially since my car is white and driven daily.

Setec Astronomy
08-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks. That sounds good enough to me. I think I'll give it a shot. Especially since my car is white and driven daily.

If it's a white DD I think you will be fine stopping with the UC and going to LSP. (Apologies to the perfectionists)

FUNX650
08-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Are you considering using one of Meguiar's AIO's after UC?
No worry about any of Meguiar's T.S.-oils that way. :props:

:)

Bob

Dogfather
08-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Are you considering using one of Meguiar's AIO's after UC?
No worry about any of Meguiar's T.S.-oils that way. :props:

:)

Bob

Something to consider but probably not. I could deal with a quick but careful 50/50 IPA wipedown. Thanks.

FUNX650
08-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Something to consider but probably not. I could deal with a quick but careful 50/50 IPA wipedown. Thanks.

JMHO:
" One Step Forward & Two Steps Back" ~ Johnny Winter."

Bob