PDA

View Full Version : Have some question about Hydro2 setup

Pages : [1] 2

ntwillie1
08-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Hi guys. I recently took advantage of the BOGO for Carpro Hydro 2 Touchless Silica Sealant. This will be my first time using this and I want to make sure I mix it up properly. I am mathematically challenged and looking for some help.

Question 1
Today I purchased a 32 ounce bottle. I have 200ML of Hydro2 in my possession. If I am supposed to dilute it 1 part concentrate to 3 parts water, how many ounces of water will I need to put in the 32 ounce spray bottle if i put all of my 200ML of hydro2 in?

I tried calling Autogeek and actually spoke to someone but I think the poor guy was more confused than I was when we were trying to work the math out, so I figured maybe I could post this on line and someone can help out.

Question 2
If i go ahead and mix this all up in my 32 ounce spray bottle, it should last me a while right. Meaning that I don't just mix the bit I need today and then leave the rest in its original bottle until the next time. i want to just mix my batch (all of it) and let it be and I can use it as I need to over time without having to worry about diluting another batch.

Thanks in advance.

KillaCam
08-22-2013, 10:30 PM
I would get a smaller spray bottle. Maybe a 2 or 3 oz bottle. You shouldn't have to use much. You have the dilution correct.
I'm not sure how long the shelf life is once you mix it up.

ntwillie1
08-22-2013, 11:00 PM
I would get a smaller spray bottle. Maybe a 2 or 3 oz bottle. You shouldn't have to use much. You have the dilution correct.
I'm not sure how long the shelf life is once you mix it up.

my google search just said that 100ml is 3.3 ounces. If thats the case, I need a bigger bottle. Maybe I should just mix one batch and see how that turns out, especially since like you said, we are unsure of the shelf life.

Anyway, if 100ML is 3.3 ounces, does that mean that i need 3.3 ounces of hydro 2 and 9.9 ounces of water? Thanks for any help you can provide.

psnt1ol
08-23-2013, 12:45 AM
200 ml of the final Hydr02 solution (1 part Hydr02 to 3 part distilled water) is more than enough to do a large family sedan.

Say you want to make 200 ml at 1 to 3.... divide 200 by 4 and you get 50. 50 ml of hydr02 to 150 ml of distilled water.

Its best if you apply this product in the shade when the surfaces are dripping wet. Don't try to do too big of a section.

KillaCam
08-23-2013, 01:24 AM
Psnt nailed it.

silverfox
08-23-2013, 04:53 AM
I'd only use enough concentrate to do one car. I wouldn't dilute the entire 200 ml if you aren't going to use it all.

That's the first thing.

It takes me about 25ml hydro2 to do one car. That's 25 ml concentrate added to 75ml distilled water (total=100ml) in a small 4oz spray bottle.

TroyScherer
08-23-2013, 06:04 AM
You only should mix up enough to do 1 car at a time. especially if you will not be using it again soon. I usually can mist / coat an entire car using 4oz - 6ozof solution. So 4oz would be your perfect 1:3 mixture. 1oz Hydro2 : 3oz water. For 6oz I use 1.5oz Hydro2 : 4.5oz water. This is usually enough to do the entire body and and wheels if applied properly.

You just need to mist it on. You don't need to do any major overlapping, or spraying till it runs like with some products. Just mist it on evenly and the blast it with water.

BlackHawk
08-23-2013, 06:37 AM
I purchased my hydro2 a while ago and just diluted it all at once, ended up with like 13oz. I think. Forgot how much of the concentrate I had. But that was a couple months ago and i still have 6 oz left, all of which works just as it did from day 1.

Take it how You'd like it, but I believe it's ok to just dilute it all at once.

erichaley
08-23-2013, 06:42 AM
If you use a spray bottle, make sure it has a quality sprayer. I wasted a good portion of a HydrO2 sample I had received because I didn't do this...

If you really want to get a fine mist and a nice, even distribution of product, buy a small handheld pressurized sprayer. Fair warning though - they can be addictive...

Kevin Cullen
08-23-2013, 06:51 AM
Your math is correct. Roughly 30ml is one oz. Do it I'm sections, not the whole car. When I did a 28 foot rv I only used about 300 ml of hydro2. I did it in sections, wet the surface then brushed with a soft bristle brush incase any was suspended. Then hit it with a pressure washer for the rinse. The harder you shock it on the rinse the better it works IMO.

ntwillie1
08-24-2013, 06:25 AM
Thanks everyone for the help. I did what Blackhawks did and diluted the whole thing at once (only one 100ml bottle). I too ended up with about 13 ounces of product in my spray bottle.

Anyway, I used the product on a test panel and I am not too happy. The application was easy enough and after misting it I let sit for about 30 seconds on one quarter panel, 1min on another quarter panel, and 90 sec on hood. The car dripping wet when i misted hydro on it. I then used highest setting on my hose to blast the product off and rinsed thoroughly. When done it seemed as if the product had left stains on my paint. I had to use my QD and a couple of passes to remove the stains. While I was blasting the product off it was sheeting nicely so I will give it that.

Is it ok to apply this over other existing products? I had read that it was which is why I got it. I had also read one other review where someone said they had similar results to mine w the staining but I figured it was an isolated incident. Now I don't know. I hate to not use the rest of it but if these are the results then I might just opti-coat the van instead.

Oh one more thing - I used regular water from my hose - not distilled water. I just read a post above where someone said to use distilled water. Maybe I got caught up in the moment and rushed it :(.

silverfox
08-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Streaking with ANY product, albeit wax, detail spray, sealants, or coatings...is the result of one of three things ( or all three)...

1) too much product applied
2) left over residue not completely removed and allowed to dry
3) environmental conditions...too hot, too cold, too humid

With these spray on sealants like reload or hydro2, all three conditions above can effect the outcome. A spray bottle has to be a really FINE mist type sprayer, not just any old spray bottle laying around. If you don't apply a really fine mist, then you violate #1. A pressurized atomizer is the preferred tool in my opinion. It applies the product with an even, fine mist.

Secondly, the residue must be removed quickly and with force. Perhaps wiping the section with a damp MF towel immediately after rinsing will ensure you get all the residue off. It only takes one minute for the left over residue to violate #2.

Thirdly, conditions must be near perfect in terms of temperature and shade. Any kind of heated surface violates #3 which in turn violates #2.

These vendors make it sound oh so easy with their marketing. Just spray and rinse...yeah...

psnt1ol
08-24-2013, 08:43 AM
The application was easy enough and after misting it I let sit for about 30 seconds on one quarter panel, 1min on another quarter panel, and 90 sec on hood.

You don't let it sit. You rinse the panel off immediately. For best result, work one panel at a time and you must do this in the shade. It is a best practice of mine to dilute all chemical with distilled water rather than tap water.

Kevin Cullen
08-24-2013, 09:55 AM
I have had no problems with this product with staining as others have posted. Make sure the vehicle is cool, your in the shade and it is done not in the hottest part of the day.
I keep noticeing that when there is streaking or staining it is getting rinsed off with a hose. I have always rinsed with a pressure washer. This may be the difference? Not sure but worth a try?

ntwillie1
08-24-2013, 03:00 PM
My car was washed around 9:30 am in the shade so I am sure the temperature was not the issue for me. I am starting to think I sprayed too much product on and that maybe my tap water contributed a bit. Since I already diluted a whole bottle I will suck it up and just do better with the next one.

I will prob do the rest of the car next week and be careful to not apply too much product and I will not let it sit at all. As soon as it goes on its coming right off. I don't have a pressure washer but my hose has pretty good force so I have no choice but to stick w that method. I will post up my second round of results in the near future. Thanks again all for your input.