PDA

View Full Version : Shmitt vs. LC mitt

Pages : [1] 2

shadybreal
06-11-2007, 06:37 PM
SHMITT vs. LC mitt

I was able to get my hands on two of the new Lake Country mitts everyone’s raving about. I’ve been using the different shmitts for about a year now and I love it. I was hesitant to do any review or comment too much about it until I was able to actually use one. The design of the mitts is very eye catching and would help to get possible buyers attention, but after using them I’m very disappointed. Their very bulky and don’t fit my hands very good, and I have larger hands. They do hold soap well, but so does the shmitt. I tried using the two mitts for a full day, but found myself getting very frustrated w/ them and had to switch back to my shmitts.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s183/shadybreal/reflections021.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s183/shadybreal/reflections020.jpg

Here is the picture of the yellow LC mitt showing where it has already ripped. Yes it ripped after a half a day of use. The shmitts do tear as well w/ larger hands, but once the hole is big enough for you hand the tearing stops. The LC mitt hole is already large enough so the ripping wasn’t caused from the fitting.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s183/shadybreal/reflections023.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s183/shadybreal/reflections022.jpg

The mitts are double sided like the shmitts so if you need one for heaving cleaning you have to change mitts instead of just flipping the mitt over to the coarser side. I know many have said they like the LC mitts because the cubes let the dirt or debris go into the mitt to help prevent marring. What I noticed was that whatever debris got into my yellow mitt would not rinse clean.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s183/shadybreal/reflections027.jpg

One thing I like about the shmitt is how it fits on hand your snuggly so that you can squeeze it or bend it to shape. The LC mitt is too large to control its shape.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s183/shadybreal/reflections025.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s183/shadybreal/reflections026.jpg

And last, but not least the LC mitt is supposedly going to cost more than the double sided Edge shmitts. How is this going to work? Why pay more for half the mitt? I gave it a honest effort, but the Shmitt wins the battle hands down. In my opinion, Lake Country tried to get in the wash mitt market, but they should of taken a few more steps to insure they were producing a high quality alternative. Hope you enjoy this review.

Bradley

Rsurfer
06-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Great review Bradley. I will stick with my shmitt. Thank You

k20z3kid
06-11-2007, 06:51 PM
hmm very informative. disappointing but informative lol. i was hoping this would be better than the shmitt!! aside from the fact that it ripped halfway through how was the actual performance of the new LC mitt? equivalent to the shmitt? is the foam just as soft?

Gary Sword
06-11-2007, 06:53 PM
I like the ShMitt mitts and I have been using them for a while now. To be honest my hand don't fit in the ScMitt to well. A lot of times I use it without even putting my hand in it. I have not tried the LC Mitt. I would be willing to try it out but I would not pay double the price of a ShMitt for it.

shadybreal
06-11-2007, 06:53 PM
It worked okay, but the red foam isn't even close to as soft the white shmitt foam. I wish Edge would start making some shmitts in different colors. HINT HINT!

Jimmie
06-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Very informative review. Thank you for doing it Bradley.

budman3
06-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Just curious, did you like the shmitt after only a day of use? One day of use doesn't seem like enough time to get an honest opinion comparing to something you've used over a year.

I personally didn't like the shmitt at first. If I didn't try it again after my first use it'd still be sitting in the basement. It is bulky, it doesn't get into tight crevices (like on the roof along the edge of roof racks), it didn't clean the paint that well, etc. Those were my initial reactions to the mitt. After a little use I relized I need to use a little more pressure (more than I'd like) to get the shmitt to work well. When I add this pressure the waffleness of the shmitt get compressed leaving the dirt nowhere to go except between the mitt and the paint. It does get caught up in badging and license plates and tears easily...

I don't get the quote "why pay more for half the mitt" where you said that you can use both sides of the LC mitt?

If I remember correctly there were a lot of shmitts that had glue failure on the get go, and I fully expect LC to correct any problems that the glue may have before the mitts get released to the pubilc.

Thanks for the review, I can't wait to try the LC mitt.

shadybreal
06-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Budman,

I must of made a mistake when I said using both sides of the LC mitt. It's only one sided. I will try the mitt again tomorrow, but it's just hard to imagine it beating the shmitt. Thanks for the reponse.

Excessive Detail
06-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Good, I was wondering if I should sick with the shmitt, and I guess I will be doing that.

shadybreal
06-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Before anyone gets the wrong idea after reading this post, I do have some what an affiliation w/ Edge but it's w/ another product that has no bearing on the sell of shmitts. I wish I could say more, but it's still being designed. I only took the time to do this review to give my opinion. I'm sure some will like the LC mitt better, and that's fine w/ me. Just use what is most comfortable to you. Thanks!

P1et
06-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Thanks for sharing your comparisons Shady, I appreciate it. I was thinking of trying it out, but why mess with a stellar product. Looks bunk from your personal experience.

Surfer
06-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Even if people liked the LC pads over the Shmitt I'd still stick with teh Shmitt, I love it. So much better then usings a Chenille or Sheepskin. And I love how clean it rinses after doing a hood etc, just give it a spray of the hose, and quick dunk and wipe in a bucket and its spotless again, used mine for awhile now and only some very minor tears mainly from hitting the V8 emblems on my truck that have sharp edges and the nipples on the headlights that will even catch and tear a microfiber.

Nimble
06-12-2007, 01:26 AM
I love how clean it rinses after doing a hood etc, just give it a spray of the hose, and quick dunk and wipe in a bucket and its spotless again, .

That is the number 1 reason why I love my Shmitts! :)

Mike T
06-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks for taking the time to write the review.

Gnarboots11
06-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Well my Schmitt is about to arrive today or tomorrow with my 3rd AG order. After I placed the order I noticed the new LC mitt was coming out and I felt like I had made a mistake. But now I am pretty happy with my purchase and excited to get my order in! I will break out my Schmitt this weekend with my new polishes! CAN'T WAIT!!