PDA

View Full Version : Polishing in multiple session question

Glowrdr
08-22-2013, 02:52 PM
So I find myself with way more motivation than I have time. I'm currently in the process of correcting my entire car, and I know it's going to be quite the process.

I am wondering this - Knowing that I do not have a foreseeable 12-20 hours on a weekend without anything going on, whats the best way for me to tackle a 2-stage (would adding a sealant make it 3?)

Do I section everything off in "completable" sections? For example - do I want to buff the entire hood/fenders with Menz 2500, then follow up with some 4000, then add the WGPS3 and work on another area a different time?

Or do I do the entire car with the 2500, then drive it for a few days. Wash, and do the 4000, then repeat the process to seal it?

I see flaws in both ways. I don't want to polish too much seperately - kind of like you don't want to paint panels seperately for matching. But I don't know if doing part of the job helps things either. Can't see the benefit of buffing everything down, then taking the car for a spin before I get it sealed.

What do you/would you do in this situation? Since I've never done a full paint correction before, I really couldn't tell you if it will take me 4 hours, or 20 hours to do. I lean more towards longer, as I learn the correct speed, pressure and technique. It will be done right - just probably not as efficiant as a seasoned vet.

Evan.J
08-22-2013, 03:37 PM
IMO what I would do is estimate your time and how your working.

Start with the hood and do everything compound polish and seal and see how long that takes you then judge and estimate from that but I would do and each panel the entire way through the sealant.

goodinblack
08-22-2013, 04:22 PM
How much correction is needed?

Glowrdr
08-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Here is the 50/50 picture I posted in another thread after doing a test spot on the trunk (Menz 2500/Blue pad). Black Inifinit, used a dirty wash brush - the ENTIRE car looks like this

https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1230040_10201684389862488_890619844_n.jpg

erichaley
08-22-2013, 04:43 PM
On my own car, I break everything up into sections (i.e. hood, fender, roof, etc...), and I complete the entire process on one section at a time.

This is primarily due to the fact that:

1.) I do most of my work when I get home after work, and I need to be able to drive the vehicle the next morning;
2.) The amount of work I'm doing is quite extensive (orange peel removal).

If I'm doing work on a client's vehicle, I will perform each step on the entire vehicle before moving to the next step.

Glowrdr
08-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Cool - thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like section by section is the way to go. I'm hoping that maybe I can get a Friday/Sunday combo and just leave the car parked on Saturday. Just busy the next few weekends and not sure that I want to wait that long.

Hoping that I can at least knock things out in 2 sessions, 3 at the most. I supposed polishing panels can't really be considered the same as painting panels. Considering you already buff in sections, I didn't really make that correlation to panels as well.

1fastTbird
08-22-2013, 05:24 PM
I am a complete novice but as one who recently completed the 'panel-by-panel' detail I can give the simple advice of protecting the completed panels with a towel whenyou have moved on to compunding the adjacent panel.

As much as I tried per Mike's advice to keep the pad on the paint until it is done spinning in an effort not to sling compound, I still managed to have splatter all over a completed panel. The kicker is that I didn't see the tiny specs until I got working the next day. The specs put up a good fight and I think that it may just be easier to clay them off. Lesson learned.

Glowrdr
08-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Quick question while I'm here - I got a sample of the WGPS3.0, but I'm thinking of getting some PL as well. Figure I might as well stick with the Menz line (doesn't sound like I'm making a bad choice), plus I will have a full bottle without worrying about using up my 2 ounces midway through. That, and I have a credit so I gotta spend it before it burns a hole in something :)

Probably place an order tomorrow and maybe start polishing next weekend. I did a 12x12 area of my trunk and I'm addicted already. lol

erichaley
08-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Quick question while I'm here - I got a sample of the WGPS3.0, but I'm thinking of getting some PL as well. Figure I might as well stick with the Menz line (doesn't sound like I'm making a bad choice), plus I will have a full bottle without worrying about using up my 2 ounces midway through. That, and I have a credit so I gotta spend it before it burns a hole in something :)

Probably place an order tomorrow and maybe start polishing next weekend. I did a 12x12 area of my trunk and I'm addicted already. lol

I recently picked up a bottle of Menzerna PL (to keep my six other bottles of Menzerna product company :) ). I have heard great things about it and look forward to using it!

MarkD51
08-22-2013, 06:45 PM
As my buddy once grilled me years ago about sections of a car, what are commonly the worst sections, and what are commonly the best. I knew the answers, at least according to him, and as well as I thought....

The worst part of a car is commonly the hood-bonnet. This usually takes the brunt of the damage from rocks, chips, road grime, and has to deal with something more than any other part of the car has to deal with, engine heat. (Unless you own a VW, or mid engine vehicle)

Heat takes its toll.

And the best section of a vehicle, usually is the roof. About the biggest enemy of the roof is bird poop, and this too can permanently etch, and nasty-fy a paint quicker than you can say "Oh Shyt".

Polish-correct the hood, get it the best you can, then seal-wax it. Even if you have to go to the extent of masking off seams, and front fender sections to isolate the hood, the 10 minutes time might be worth it.

I would say though, it might not be wise running around for a number of days after a paint correction, with no protectant on the paint.

I always say "Rome wasn't built in a day". And neither was Siracuse! LOL