PDA

View Full Version : Finally doing a jeep detail.

Bill1234
08-22-2013, 01:11 PM
My friend wants his jeep wrangler done. Probably will have the standards done. I dont think the interior will be bad, just will need more carpet work. Any experience and tips while working with wranglers ?

goldendodo19
08-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Are you going to clay it?

KillaCam
08-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Dang man just post one thread!

BulldogAuto
08-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Does your friend go mudding in it? If so be prepared for mud to be everywhere. The fender flares trap mud and dirt like crazy. I have 2000 wrangler that is dirty more then it is clean. I know I am an embarrassment to the community. Careful if using a buffer, all the torx and hinges do a number to your pads. Hardtop or soft?

usavageu
08-23-2013, 01:19 AM
The carpet in a wrangler isn't like plush carpet you'll find in normal cars. It's an acrylic open weave like indoor/ outdoor carpet. It dries very fast. You can actually remove it and hose it down and hang it up to dry...if you need to!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AG Online

Bill1234
08-23-2013, 06:59 AM
The carpet in a wrangler isn't like plush carpet you'll find in normal cars. It's an acrylic open weave like indoor/ outdoor carpet. It dries very fast. You can actually remove it and hose it down and hang it up to dry...if you need to!
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AG Online

Thanks for the tip. I will think about that if large stains come up.

It probably has the hardtop on right now as it is getting colder around me.

I will clay, however the jeep has never been off road.

Should I tape of the hinges so I dont blow out a pad?
Jeep panels look very easy as there is not alot of surface area, however I could be wrong

goldendodo19
08-23-2013, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the tip. I will think about that if large stains come up.

It probably has the hardtop on right now as it is getting colder around me.

I will clay, however the jeep has never been off road.

Should I tape of the hinges so I dont blow out a pad?
Jeep panels look very easy as there is not alot of surface area, however I could be wrong

What do claying and offroad have to Do with each other? If you're waxing it needs to be clayed regardless

Bill1234
08-23-2013, 08:00 AM
I will be applying wax. So clay is necessary. The only thing is that it has never been off road. I dont think the paint will be bad at all

af90
08-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Has the paint ever been clayed before? Take a look at some clay before and afters then and see how contaminated it can get just by roads, tar, rain dropping deposits, etc...

c8n
08-23-2013, 08:03 AM
All the cars I have done for family and friends, the wheel barrel and the wheel wells were the worst! I guess those are few places the auto car washes can't get to.

greatwhitenorth
08-23-2013, 09:59 AM
If done a handful of these, soft paint, small buffing pads. An like someone mentioned the carpet is easily removed and you can just pressure wash that sucker

Bill1234
08-23-2013, 10:12 AM
If done a handful of these, soft paint, small buffing pads. An like someone mentioned the carpet is easily removed and you can just pressure wash that sucker

What do you use for correction. I thought ultimate compound on a red microfiber pad would work good. Carpet might need to be vacuumed. Car is cared for as it looks like few stains are in it.

Bill1234
08-23-2013, 07:42 PM
UPDATE. I was able to do the job in around 4 hours. That included, No DA as it was not needed. I had to also go out and buy a new clay bar kit as my supply was used up. Lots of contaminates were on the car. Especially the hood. Overall car came out good, just short on time :autowash:

Products used
mothers car wash
mothers and meguiars rim cleaners
daytona wheel brush
mothers and meguiars clay kits
optimum opti bond tire and trim gel
chem guys v7 sealent
collinite 845

Jomax
08-23-2013, 11:20 PM
UPDATE. I was able to do the job in around 4 hours. That included, No DA as it was not needed. I had to also go out and buy a new clay bar kit as my supply was used up. Lots of contaminates were on the car. Especially the hood. Overall car came out good, just short on time :autowash:

Products used
mothers car wash
mothers and meguiars rim cleaners
daytona wheel brush
mothers and meguiars clay kits
optimum opti bond tire and trim gel
chem guys v7 sealent
collinite 845

No swirls or WS?? For a jeep to not have defects, that's amazing. Looks good nonetheless!