PDA

View Full Version : Ok to use a QD before applying a second coat of sealant?

Pages : [1] 2

1855Cru
08-22-2013, 07:54 AM
I finished my first color correction and applied WGDGS. I have waited 24hrs for it to cure and want to apply a second coat.

I have noticed a good bit of dust on the car and was wondering if it would be ok to wipe down with a QD (ONR 16:1) before applying the second coat?

I'm just concerned that it might leave some kind of residue that would hinder the sealant from bonding.

Thanks,

Allan

sproketser
08-22-2013, 08:12 AM
I wouldn t , the sealant needs a clean prep in order to stick on .

loudog2
08-22-2013, 08:31 AM
I would just rewash the car if it is too dirty to apply a second coat.

FUNX650
08-22-2013, 09:13 AM
I finished my first color correction and applied WGDGS.
I have waited 24hrs for it to cure and want to apply a second coat.

I have noticed a good bit of dust on the car and was wondering if it would be ok to wipe down with a QD (ONR 16:1) before applying the second coat?

I'm just concerned that it might leave some kind of residue that would hinder the sealant from bonding.

Thanks,

Allan
1.) Let's assume that the first layer/coat of this sealant (WGDGS) has bonded to the vehicle's paint;
2.) It has remained free of all contaminates during the 24 hour cure-time;
3.) It can now, therefore, be deemed: "Ready" to have a second coat of WGDGS applied atop itself.

Under the above conditions:
-Will additional coats of this sealant (WGDGS) actually bond to any immediately underlying coats of WGDGS?
-Or does it need 'surgically-clean paint' with which to form a bond?

IMHO:
Answers to these questions may be determinates in deciding what products are
to be used to "clean"...in between layering LSP's, such as sealants in this case.

Bob

07gtcs
08-22-2013, 09:25 AM
No harm in using a QD or WW to remove dust before a second coat. Don't want that dust in your Sealant.

Desertnate
08-22-2013, 09:49 AM
No harm in using a QD or WW to remove dust before a second coat. Don't want that dust in your Sealant.

I think that all depends on what QD you're using and the brands involved.

I'm not familiar with the WG products, but when using Klasse products if you put down a QD spray between layers of sealant there is a good chance it won't bond properly. The SONUS Spritz and Glanz products are the only ones that will work between SG layers. Other products and espicially those with any canrauba will cause probles. Again, I'm not sure how touchy the WG stuff is. You can top with anything you like, just don't get mixed products between the layers.

My vote would be Bob's advice. Go with a clean surface when layering sealants.

Dogfather
08-22-2013, 10:21 AM
I think that all depends on what QD you're using and the brands involved.

I'm not familiar with the WG products, but when using Klasse products if you put down a QD spray between layers of sealant there is a good chance it won't bond properly. The SONUS Spritz and Glanz products are the only ones that will work between SG layers.

Not to go off in a Klasse direction but wouldn't Werkstat Acrylic Glos work with SG?

1855Cru
08-22-2013, 10:41 AM
1.) Let's assume that the first layer/coat of this sealant (WGDGS) has bonded to the vehicle's paint;
2.) It has remained free of all contaminates during the 24 hour cure-time;
3.) It can now, therefore, be deemed: "Ready" to have a second coat of WGDGS applied atop itself.

Under the above conditions:
-Will additional coats of this sealant (WGDGS) actually bond to any immediately underlying coats of WGDGS?
-Or does it need 'surgically-clean paint' with which to form a bond?

IMHO:
Answers to these questions may be determinates in deciding what products are
to be used to "clean"...in between layering LSP's, such as sealants in this case.

Bob,

Thank you, that makes perfect sense. Your answer made me realize I had made the dangerous assumption that the sealant would bond to itself as I had read that many posters apply two coats.

So I called the tech support guys who confirmed that the second coat of sealant would NOT bond to the first and was really just a waste of product. They recommended either using the Wolfgang Spritz Spray Sealant which is designed to augment the existing sealant or top with wax for an extra layer of protection. They confirmed that there will be no harm using a QD to clean the surface before applying either.

I have the Spritz and Souveran so will try and see which I like better.

Thanks again :)

Allan

Dogfather
08-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Very interesting. I suppose Zaino sealants are an exception. I wonder if there are others.

Desertnate
08-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Not to go off in a Klasse direction but wouldn't Werkstat Acrylic Glos work with SG?

They might, but SONUS specifically mentions in their product descriptions that they will work with Klasse. I'm not familiar with Werkstat. I've always been under the assumption that there is some back-room connection between the two to include the fact that Spriz is just a good smelling mixture of watered down SG.

Now back to the original topic.....

FUNX650
08-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Bob,

Thank you, that makes perfect sense...
I called the tech support guys

I'm glad you found a satisfactory answer! :dblthumb2:

They recommended either using the Wolfgang Spritz Spray Sealant which is designed to augment the existing sealant or top with wax for an extra layer of protection. They confirmed that there will be no harm using a QD to clean the surface before applying either.

I have the Spritz and Souveran so will try and see which I like better.

^^^:props:...Please keep us apprised. Thanks.^^^

As an "augmentative-product"...More than likely...Yes.

IMHO:
So would a Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer/KHGSG admixture @ a...
1:6 ratio of KSG:UQD (approx. 1/2oz KSG:8oz. UQD)

SONUS specifically mentions in their product descriptions that they will work with Klasse.

I've always been under the assumption that there is some back-room connection between the two to include the fact that Spriz is just a good smelling mixture of watered down SG.

^^^See the above Meguiar's/KHGSG mixture recommendation^^^
It is said to be the basis/foundation for the original formulations for Sonus' Acrylic Glanz and Detail Spray products.

:)

Bob

swanicyouth
08-22-2013, 11:32 AM
I always use ONR 1:16 before "adding a second coat". I cleans safely and works well. Your "second coat" will help if you missed spots on the first. Other than that, it probably won't do much.

I wouldn't put too much worry into sealant bonding issues and PBMG sealants. As, they re come d using their paint cleaners which contain glazes prior to application. I've also used sealants on top of glazes with long lasting results.

Klasse Act
08-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Very interesting. I suppose Zaino sealants are an exception. I wonder if there are others.

Sure...DG products when using #601 mixed in.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Dogfather
08-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Sure...DG products when using #601 mixed in.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

So I'm not wasting product when I top DG 501 with 111.
What about after a month or so when I attempt to freshen things up with Opti Seal, is that a waste?

FUNX650
08-22-2013, 12:04 PM
So I'm not wasting product when I top DG 501 with 111.
What about after a month or so when I attempt to freshen things up with Opti Seal, is that a waste?
Why mix the "brands" of products in an attempt to freshen-up the 501/111 top-coat?

Doesn't the DG folks state that the sealant is the same for 105/111/501.
The only difference is the amount of "cleaners" each one has.

Accordingly...
That would be the guidelines I would use to determine the amount/type of:
Freshening-up ...that I believe my vehicles' paint requires from DG products.

:)

Bob