PDA

View Full Version : Wet sanding

nabisco shine
08-22-2013, 02:22 AM
What grit should I use? It's a stock black paint just has tuff water spots so I wanna wet sand it what is the safe grit?

Pureshine
08-22-2013, 02:39 AM
Have you ever wet sanded before? If not do not do it till you have practiced first on a sample panel. I don't under stand people always want to wet sand if they have never tried before.

nabisco shine
08-22-2013, 02:55 AM
Have you ever wet sanded before? If not do not do it till you have practiced first on a sample panel. I don't under stand people always want to wet sand if they have never tried before.

im practicing on a panel on my car

tuscarora dave
08-22-2013, 05:27 AM
What type of car is it? Have you used a rotary and wool pad yet on it? If not, how do you intend on removing the sanding marks? Any photos of what you're working on?

The answer to your question is very subjective to what you're working on and what you're working with. If you're just dead set on practicing regardless of what any of us will say, I'd say nothing more abrasive than 3000 grit and I feel a bit irresponsible recommending sanding at all without knowing whether you've tried the proper ladder of aggressive methods first.

How do you know that the water spots can even be safely sanded out? If you don't know, are you willing to take the risk of sanding through?

Did you not just post this a few weeks ago?

ok guys today was the first time me using that drill da polisher, it felt like it didnt have any power? they say on the package it can take out oxidation water spot ECT, man i dontknow about that i do own a portal cable 7424 xp and yes of course its was stronger but i just dontknow about this drill thing man..

scrubs147
08-22-2013, 06:01 AM
For tough water spots, I would first try a Dual Action Polisher or something similar with an orange pad and some cleaner wax first... then work your way into something more aggressive if that doesn't work. If you're thinking of wet sanding and have never done it, the auto junk yard is a great place to pick up some cheap projects.

Do a search here on the forums, this is a great place for knowledge.

erichaley
08-22-2013, 06:30 AM
How about starting with a 1:1 ratio of vinegar and water to see if that removes the spots? I had some water spots the other day and they came right out.

Start with the least aggressive method...

If that doesn't work, step up to a light polish.

If that doesn't work, step up to a more aggressive polish or compound.

Going straight to wet sanding, especially for something like water spots, is like using a baseball bat to kill a fly.

scrubs147
08-22-2013, 01:56 PM
How about starting with a 1:1 ratio of vinegar and water to see if that removes the spots? I had some water spots the other day and they came right out.

Going straight to wet sanding, especially for something like water spots, is like using a baseball bat to kill a fly.

Iv'e seen some pretty big flies this time of year here in Florida.

lunchboxmunchy
08-22-2013, 02:29 PM

It may be a Noob statement, but I didn't know that. What type of vinegar should you use and what's the ingredient that removes water spots?

Iv'e seen some pretty big flies this time of year here in Florida.

LMAO. You should see some of the fly's in Iraq... HUGE!

erichaley
08-22-2013, 03:18 PM
It may be a Noob statement, but I didn't know that. What type of vinegar should you use and what's the ingredient that removes water spots?

White vinegar, but it only works on water spots caused by mineral deposits. Vinegar is a form of a weak acid (Acetic acid, I believe).

Keep in mind that vinegar will strip any wax that's on the paint though.

Also, since it's an acid (and could therefore theoretically damage your paint), I'd recommend starting with a 1:3 dilution ratio of vinegar to water.

hernandez.art13
08-22-2013, 03:27 PM

When I first came here. I thought everybody knew about wet sanding and Rotary's and wool pads.

They made us wet sand as a first step on repaints.

I know others can wet sand light scratches, I can too, but prefer to try other methods first.

I guess it all varies...

Evan.J
08-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Ill just leave these here for you!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/33499-3-types-water-spots-type-i-type-ii-type-iii.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/31000-how-remove-sprinkler-water-spots.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/36306-tips-removing-type-i-water-spots.html

nabisco shine
08-23-2013, 05:00 AM
thanks guys i didnt try it just yet ill try the vinegar first!!

Crispy
01-01-2016, 02:24 PM
To answer your first question-5000 grit is safe bet. The problem is wet sanding is removing paint and leaving scratches behind. You will need to compound/polish these out regardless. That is why members recommend "least aggressive method" first. If you know how thick the clearcoat is then you can safely wet sand with 1500 and even lower, but keep in mind you still have get rid of the sanding marks and that will remove more paint.

Mike Phillips
01-02-2016, 02:45 PM
To answer your first question-5000 grit is safe bet. The problem is wet sanding is removing paint and leaving scratches behind. You will need to compound/polish these out regardless. That is why members recommend "least aggressive method" first. If you know how thick the clearcoat is then you can safely wet sand with 1500 and even lower, but keep in mind you still have get rid of the sanding marks and that will remove more paint.

Good answer. Just to note though, the last post in this thread is from,

08-23-2013

Nothing wrong with replying to older threads or bringing them back with updated information but in some cases, the topic of disucssion and the actual project, (in this example the original poster was going to do some wet sanding), may be long over....

:)