PDA

View Full Version : How hot is too hot? (Sun vs Temp)

Glowrdr
08-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Hey everyone. Just got my first stash of detailing supplies last night, and I was hoping to get out tonight and do some detailing on my black G35.

I know that you are not supposed to wax in direct sun, and I also know that wax "likes" between 55-80F.

I guess I have 2 questions. Does the same rule apply to a compound/polish? And is the problem more of the heat, or is it the drying power of the sun?

Reason I am asking is because we are currently in a heat wave and the temperature has been topping out over 90+ each day, and not dropping down much further than upper 70's/low 80's at night. Should I just sit tight for a couple of days and wait for it to drop back into the low 80's for a high, or am I fine to start working with it so hot outside (I will be in a garage for the majority of the work)

Logan Powers
08-21-2013, 09:08 AM
You should feel the paint. It's more about direct sunlight than anything. The sun will bake the polish/compound on there. It will flash before you even have time to do a section pass. Then your stuck scrubbing it off. I think if the paint is any hotter than 100' than I wouldn't do it.
PoorBoys product is made to be used in direct sunlight. I have heard it works well!

BradsDetailing
08-21-2013, 09:17 AM
If the paint isn't cool to the touch I wouldn't do it.

allenk4
08-21-2013, 01:10 PM
I have successfully used M105 on a CCS Foam Pad with a Flex 3401 in the shade, when the air temperature was 100 degrees.

I wouldn't even try it in full sun.

Little known Fact:

When the temperature is reported, it is in the shade, two meters above the ground.

FUNX650
08-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Besides "temperature"...There are other factors that'll determine:
RE: "How hot is too hot"...including, but not limited to:
-Humidity
-Heat index (can help to calculate humidity)
-Wind speed, if any
-Where is the wind blowing from---A hot or cold place, for example
-Vehicle's panel temperatures
-Variations in the heat generated from different types of detailing processes
-Water-based vs. petroleum based products
-etc.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Little known Fact:

When the temperature is reported, it is in the shade, two meters above the ground.
The shade you reference...
Isn't that a: "cotton region shelter"...OR:
At automated observing stations..."Shielded Shelters".

Also:
The actual thermometer should be 4-6 feet above ground; and, where/when applicable:
At least 2 feet above the deepest snow accumulation.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

So, it seems:
Something that seems as simple as "temperature" can become
pretty complicated when you start looking into it in detail.

:)

Bob

allenk4
08-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Meteorological observatories measure the temperature and humidity of the air near the surface of the Earth usually using thermometers placed in a Stevenson screen (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Stevenson_screen), a standardized well-ventilated white-painted instrument shelter. The thermometers should be positioned 1.25–2 m above the ground. Important note

Glowrdr
08-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Well, i know that it is hot and muggy as heck outside. And I stand roughly 2 meters above the ground where I am sweating the most. lol

At this point, I think I will probably wait because I don't even want to be standing around outside long enough to wash my car, let alone get any real work done