PDA

View Full Version : Meg's MF Correction System

Pages : [1] 2

lunchboxmunchy
08-21-2013, 03:58 AM
Hey Geeks. I just ordered my MF Correction System and it should be here next week. Does anyone have any advice on their experiences with this particular product set? Thanks!

Keep Calm & Chive On

Setec Astronomy
08-21-2013, 04:33 AM
It's a great system. Do you have an air compressor to blow out the pads?

lunchboxmunchy
08-21-2013, 04:42 AM
It's a great system. Do you have an air compressor to blow out the pads?

Yeah. I have a small Craftsman. What do you mean, blow out the pads?

Keep Calm & Chive On

Setec Astronomy
08-21-2013, 04:50 AM
After each panel or so, you need to fluff up the fibers and remove spent product/paint from the pads. The fibers get matted down and don't work as effectively.

Kitoy22
08-21-2013, 04:51 AM
He means that you use compressed air to clean the mf pads after every panel you do. This will help you maintain the cutting effectivity of the pad

lunchboxmunchy
08-21-2013, 04:52 AM
Ok. I understand. That makes sense. Great! Thanks guys!

Keep Calm & Chive On

zmcgovern45
08-21-2013, 06:49 AM
Alternate between 2-3 pads. Switch to a different one after each panel or two. The MF pads have a tendency to delaminate if they get too hot or saturated with product, so alternating between a couple (or few) different pads helps keep them cooler and drier. You also don't need to use as much product with these pads.

Evan.J
08-21-2013, 07:41 AM
Alternate between 2-3 pads. Switch to a different one after each panel or two. The MF pads have a tendency to delaminate if they get too hot or saturated with product, so alternating between a couple (or few) different pads helps keep them cooler and drier. You also don't need to use as much product with these pads.

:iagree:

A little bit of procts goe a long way!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/66133-proper-handling-meguiar-s-microfiber-pads.html

As many of you are well aware, and frustratingly so, we have had some issues surrounding the delamination of our microfiber pads. This has prompted some people to think that any time a pad fails it's down to a manufacturing defect, but that isn't always the case. More on that in a moment, but first let's quickly review the proper care and feeding of these pads:

We have always stated that this system was tuned to 4800 opm on a DA for cutting and that this speed should not be exceeded. If you need additional cut, either increase the pressure, slow down the arm speed, shrink the size of the work area, or some combo of the three, but do NOT increase the tool speed. The GG6" and Meguiar's G110v2 are definitely more powerful than the PC7424XP so that tool you might run at speed 5, but definitely not on the others. Another point about the pressure being used: you can maintain pad spin even with extreme pressure on these pads, much more pressure than you could use with foam before rotation ceases. But that doesn't mean you should lean on the pad every time you buff. You will raise heat levels at the backing plate/pad interface as the hook and loop material becomes subjected to ever increasing stress created by high pressure and high speeds. And heat is a very bad thing, almost always created by being overly aggressive with the pads. High speeds and very high pressure will also escalate that heat pretty quickly, especially if you're using a backing plate other than the recommended Meguiar's W67DA. This is due to the additional heat generated by a mismatched hook & loop - that hook & loop being thrown around on a DA is a nasty, brutal environment.

Further, very regular cleaning of the pads is critical, and that means after every section you buff. Not every panel, not every three or four sections or just because the fibers are matting down. After every section you buff the pads must be blown out with compressed air or brushed with a brush. This isn't just to fluff the fibers up again but to remove both product and paint residue from the fibers. Microfiber is great at hanging on to stuff, and if this product and paint residue is allowed to build up you will not only comprise your cutting ability but also run the risk of developing a relatively large deposit that could create pigtails in the paint.

All of this is much less critical with the finishing discs because they aren't being used (or at least should not be used) as aggressively as the cutting discs are. At speed 3 on a DA (3800 opm) and just light to moderate pressure with fairly quick arm speed, you're putting virtually no stress on these pads at all.

OK, back to the known failure issues with our microfiber pads. Rest assured that should you have any failure caused by a manufacturing defect we will gladly replace the pads at no charge. The first line of defense is always the retailer from whom you purchased the pads, but if you can't get satisfaction from them then by all means call our Customer Care Center and they'll take care of you. And about that "manufacturing defect"..... not all pad failures are due to a manufacturing defect. Sometimes it's flat out abuse. This image of 3" pads shows some that were sent back to us for warranty replacement due to the pads delaminating, but this is not a manufacturing defect. The fact that the foam is ripped to shreds tells us that these have been repeatedly yanked off the backing plate, and possibly even off a mismatched backing plate, putting undo stress on the foam to the point that it has been torn apart. It is even quite possible that these were run at very high speed with a lot of pressure and the heat generated over a length of time compromised the integrity of the foam. But that is not, and should not be, "normal use".
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/1928/medium/2013-06-07_08_44_07.jpg

From day one with this system we have urged a bit of caution when removing the pads from the backing plate. Our recommendation has always been to get your fingers between the pad and backing plate, as shown in the image below, to remove the pads. If you're using a mismatched backing plate that has a death grip on these pads (think the backing plate on the Rupes tools - yikes!!!!) then this becomes even more critical.

Don't do this.....
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/1689/medium/DA_microfiber_0086.JPG

Do this.
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/1689/medium/DA_microfiber_0085.JPG

TroyScherer
08-21-2013, 08:41 AM
I clean my pads after every section, not every panel. Keeping them clean makes them work the best.

I use a pad for a few panels then switch to a new pad. I use 2-3 three per vehicle. I then continue to rotate them as I move around. I blow them clean with the compressor and let them sit to "cool down". That way I only use a few pads instead of a new one on every panel and use like 10+.

I use light pressure to keep them rotating. I only add pressure as needed. But when you use pressure they will heat up quicker and need changed out sooner.

Logan Powers
08-21-2013, 09:05 AM
I absolutely love their system. I use it for everyhing that needs compounding or something a little more aggressive than just a polishing pad. I even use them for my headlight restorations. It really cuts the crud.

You will see, after every section the fibers will look matted down, I just take a blow attachment and blow the heck out of it till all the fibers are straight and most of the product is gone. Point it away from the car, because dusty product is going to go everywhere.

I have heard that Meg had bumped up the quality on these pads. The first set, the foam would start falling apart after one vehicle. But mine have lasted up to 7-8 vehicles and 4-6 headlights

Setec Astronomy
08-21-2013, 09:23 AM
I clean my pads after every section, not every panel.

Yeah...that's what I meant...c'mon, it was 5AM or something.

HateSwirls
08-21-2013, 09:45 AM
I've always been tempted to tey their system out, all I hear is good.
I use a small brush to clean off the product and fluff them up, I tried the compressor too but find the brush works better and faster.

Pureshine
08-21-2013, 09:49 AM
I use MF pads all the time the thing that really help with heat is my backing plate with holes in it. Since I got it I have not had a pad fall apart and here is a good link for you to look at.
How to use Meguiar's DA Microfiber correction - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detailing-product-reviews/30410-how-use-meguiars-da-microfiber-correction.html)

Setec Astronomy
08-21-2013, 10:14 AM
I use a small brush to clean off the product and fluff them up, I tried the compressor too but find the brush works better and faster.

The trick is to angle the blow gun so the pad spins, then run it from outside to inside like a phonograph needle (if you're old enough to remember what that is ;) )

Logan Powers
08-21-2013, 10:22 AM
^this