PDA

View Full Version : Burning car!!!

stilltipping3
08-20-2013, 08:03 PM
How many cars have you burned in the beginning of your detailing days? Be honest and tell some stories?

Setec Astronomy
08-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Did D ick Van Dyke just start detailing?

stilltipping3
08-20-2013, 08:13 PM
I have burned two cars in my days as I first started. A sanding burn and a pressure burn with a wool pad on some old paint that was not treated well. Just wanted to know of some stories. Sorry Setec Astronomy u must be the KING of detailing or just a Dk! Obviously not the King!

Setec Astronomy
08-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Sorry Setec Astronomy u must be the KING of detailing or just a Dk! Obviously not the King!

Was that nice? I made a topical joke that apparently went over your head.

Calendyr
08-20-2013, 08:24 PM
I have burned two cars in my days as I first started. A sanding burn and a pressure burn with a wool pad on some old paint that was not treated well. Just wanted to know of some stories. Sorry Setec Astronomy u must be the KING of detailing or just a Dk! Obviously not the King!

Not a good way to start your membership here. ;(

Flatlander
08-20-2013, 09:12 PM
ok boys! To your corners.

Rsurfer
08-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Sorry Setec Astronomy u must be the KING of detailing or just a Dk! Obviously not the King!

Not nice! :nomore:

Vegas Transplant
08-20-2013, 09:47 PM
:poke:

...Be honest and tell some stories?

#### Van Dyke helped from burning car - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/19/showbiz/van-dyke-car-fire/index.html)

MarkD51
08-20-2013, 09:54 PM
I burned one car in my life, with a Rotary, with Wool Bonnet and some quite aggressive cleaner wax. This stuff was probably loaded with so much abrasives, it would have taken the rust off of Titanic's Rudders.

And on the same day, and on the same car, I was detailing the dash, and the dam little stem that goes through the clear plastic bezel, to set the clock on the cluster snapped!

And there was no way to simply slide out the plastic stem, add a dab of crazy glue, and re-stick the stem. It was stuck in there between the devil and the deep blue sea.

America really made some "wonderful" cars in the 70's, and 80's! (Not!)

Thankfully, this was far from a show vehicle, nor was it owned by any of the Gotti's! Otherwise, I wouldn't be here to post about it, I'd be pushing up daisys many moons ago.

That day, I learned the hard way about fighting time, rushing a job, and the dangers of a Rotary with the old Wool Bonnets (Heat)
I surely shake my head about that day, never forgot it, and surely don't wish to ever travel that path again! LOL

BillE
08-21-2013, 06:33 AM
Since the world went to foam pads (knock on wood), none. But I have toasted and roached more than one pad from 'the heat' (working on fiberglass).

Rotary and wool, let's just say there IS (was) a BIG learning curve. There are some in my past.

Bill

SPIROS ANTONIOU
08-21-2013, 06:44 AM
i have burn a mitsubishi when i was 21..( 9 years ago ) A friend of me bought a makita polisher and he phoned me to go and help him ..Both of us dont know what were doing .. we though polishing a car was put a liguid and start:buffing:..
The makita kit comes with a wool pad .. we try this with a compound(i dont remeber the name) and full speed hahahah. suddenly all the edges were burn the the mitsubishi from white turn to grey ( the clear burn ).. that didnt bother us ,, we finish the jop and we were happy then :buffing::buffing: