PDA

View Full Version : Waxing tips

stilltipping3
08-20-2013, 07:45 PM
So I don't usually use more than one coat of sealant or wax. But this time I did two coats of wax. I will do two coats of sealant next time and then wax it twice on top of that. I want to see the difference in shine. Maybe you guys\gals with more experience can tell me a few things about that. Should I do it, or not? Is it a waste of time? Should I put 3 coats on? I have readily 3 sealants and a few glaze sealers available. I have 3-4 waxes as well. I like to have choices and know my product thus all the many types of gallons and quarts in my arsenal. Any advice is much appreciated and welcomed? My car is already the smoothest and softest in any lot I pull into. I would put $$$ on it!!!!
Feed back please

Cosmin
08-20-2013, 07:49 PM
what do you try to achieve? or you have too much time on hands ?.....

custmsprty
08-20-2013, 07:53 PM
So I don't usually use more than one coat of sealant or wax. But this time I did two coats of wax. I will do two coats of sealant next time and then wax it twice on top of that. I want to see the difference in shine. Maybe you guysgals with more experience can tell me a few things about that. Should I do it, or not? Is it a waste of time? Should I put 3 coats on? I have readily 3 sealants and a few glaze sealers available. I have 3-4 waxes as well. I like to have choices and know my product thus all the many types of gallons and quarts in my arsenal. Any advice is much appreciated and welcomed? My car is already the smoothest and softest in any lot I pull into. I would put $$$ on it!!!!
Feed back please

OVERKILL :buffing:

Evan.J
08-20-2013, 07:55 PM
there is really no need for 3 coats of wax.

Here is an article on topping a wax over a sealant

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40089-topping-definition-how-top-also-called-topping.html

swanicyouth
08-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Instead of applying a bunch of coats on top of each other, I think you get more out of applying a single coat more frequently.

HateSwirls
08-21-2013, 01:10 AM
Last time I washed my car I layed EZ Cream Glaze, Griots Paint Sealant then topped it with Meg's GoldClass, IMO it's all one needs for protection and shine if you do a good job polishing.

With that said if you feel the need to add three coats of wax then go for it, it's all about what makes you happy, it surely won't hurt anything:)

umi000
08-21-2013, 02:48 AM
I'd apply up to two coats of one product, and only that many to ensure even coverage - I feel that anything more than that is a waste of time and product. There are a series of threads on Detailing World involving using scientific equipment to measure the thickness of wax and sealant "layers", showing that anything more than two applications actually reduces the thickness of the layer (and no, they weren't just being compressed - the instrument used for the test would also have been able to detect that).

Mike Phillips
08-21-2013, 06:29 AM
Sounds like you have your car's finish to the point you want it... now it's just a matter of maintaining it at that level.

Read this...

"Find something you like and use it often" (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/24310-find-something-you-like-use-often.html)

And this...

Frequent Car Care is Easy Car Care (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/69006-frequent-car-care-easy-car-care.html)

:)