PDA

View Full Version : I think I had the greatest weekend of my life

Pages : [1] 2

CalgaryDetail
06-11-2007, 12:15 PM
So I am not ging to lie, this is a big brag sesion. I had a wicked weekend that I want to share with the world. And yes im going to make you jelous... lol just kiding

So i Thursday after noon i board a plane to london Ontario (north of detriot). Man was that a Long flight I could not wait to get to chatham.I thought I had an idea of what was going to happen and what plans were... boy was i ever wrong.

sO i get in thursday eavning and am picked up my my dad and his freind. We quickly (well as quick as it can be in the london airport) get into the car and start the drive. The guy we were with (greg) asked how tired i was. I told him i was to excited to be tired so he drove us to his garage.

In it there was a 27 Pakard in peices. There were fenders and bonots and engines and some cool stuff all over the shop. It was really neat and orginized but man was it cool to see the car in peices. And boy was it a huge sucker

So we finnaly finsih at the shop and its about 10 o;clock so we drive to town and get settled in.

Friday morning came quickly. With the two hour time diffrence it was an early morning. We headed over to the office to go see some stuff. Greg had about 10 minutes of work. And then it was off to the races.

We started our day by going to RM restorations. Rm acution house is the largest auto auction house in the world.. yes its bigger then berrit jakson. They also have a restoration shop.
So we go to the shop and greg knows eveyone. And i mean everyone there. We talk to some of the guys for a while and just shoot the breeze. We go take a look at the cars in the shop.. So im thinking we will see some cool cars but i was sadly mistaken. WE SAW WORLD CLASS CARS.. Yes folks I touched the Mars Duesnberg.. valued at about 4.5mill. Also some of you may remeber the 2006 peable beach winner. Well it was there but had plastic on it... so they uncovered it for us. I touched the car. And maybe even drooled on it.

So i thought man this cant get any better. Wel i was wrong. We were invited back into the restoration shop. This is a private place most people dont get to go. The only stipulation. No pictures. They have 6 cars going to th 08 peable beach concours and they dont want the world knowin yet.. igot to see all of them.

So i got to take a took (and touch) some really cool cars. I had always wanted to see a Duesenberg but never thought I would. In one day i saw 5, one being the mars one.

So we finnaly see all that we can and head for lunch.

After lunch we go to stans shop. Stan is a world class car restorer in a small town just outside Chatham (it chatham wasnt small enough)In there I got to see gergs 34 pakard roadster with a rummble seat.This thing was a peice of art. I dont think i have ever seen a car look so amazing.
Also this car will only be shown at top cars shows such and peable, meadowbrook, and amilia (sp) island. It has acutlly been invited as a feture car at world of wheels (or somthing like that) car show.

So im in awe. We them go otuside to shoot the breze when stan asks if I want a ride in a 1915 GreyDort. These cars were orginaly built in canada and most are still here. About 35 remain, and stan in the world expert. These things ae harder to find then duesenbergs... but dont have the price tag.

So we drive the car over to stans house to be put away before it was supposted to rain. Tha was cool. Driving down mainstreet in this car. I felt like I was in a parade.

We then head downto detriot to go check out the cars. We look at evey car being acutioned and fall in love with a few. We look around for a few hours then head back home.

When iget home in for a suprise. A guy at the office owns a 2006 ferrari F430 spyer. I get a ride. His kids were jelous since they dont even get to look at it lol.

We were ripping it at 210km/h down back country roads in 4th gear. I kept folding my colar down but the wind would pop it up.

I fell in love that day..... with a car.

So anyway. We then head back to gregs house and have the most amazing salmon dinner. The fish was caught about a week ago off the cost of BC. Boy was it good.

So im stuffed and exausted, its about 11 o'clock after all is said and done. So its back to the hotel to sleep. After all tomorow is the acution.

Saturday morning dosent come back enough. We are ont he road by 9 o'clock headed to the acution.

So we get there and there is already a buzz. We walk around to double check eveything and see who esle is there. !2 o'clock on the dot the auction starts.
Boy were things going for alot. it turns out there were about half a dozen high rollers who bought almsot eveything.
So anyway. The acution goes well. WE come to lot 217. A !955 Red Thunderbird fromm the John mcmullen car show. My dad goes lets bid on this one.
So i do the hand thing. I do it again, we are reaching our limit. One mroe time. And its going once...

Going twice...

Going three times...

And its mine. I was the proud new owner of a 1955 Red T-bird. This thing is from the first year of t-bird production.. My heart was racing. I could barley put words toghter. I had just bought a car.then to add to this Rob myers. owner and founder of RM acutions, comes over to shake my hand and congradulate me on the deal of the acution. This was really cool.

All day I was the guy who bought the t-bird. I was a celeberty for the day. It didnt matter what else peoplebought they would come over and say congrats,. It was SOOO Cool.

So the day moves onand there are some cars you wonder about. Finnay we get to a 1933 Rolls Royce. Greg turns to me and says its his.
So the biding begins. After a little back and forth its his. He had just wond a rolls. Man was this day awsome. He got up and started chearing and yelling. I was like he had won the lotery.

So the auction comes to an end, we got to look at or new rides. Man was it like Europia. They day became a blurr. As the we were leaving we saw kid rock. (now im not a huge fan but i thought it was cool) so we go get a picture with him in front of the 1930 V16 Cadilac he bought.. man what a ride.
So on this day. i met. Rob Meyers, founder of RM
Kid Rock- well its kid rock
and
John McMullen, who had one of the largest car collections in the world.

was in heaven. So we head back to canada. get home at around 10.

Sot sunday was a long day. Igot up at 430 (which is 230 back home) and load up a 1927 pakard for a car show. This has the abilitty to win many concours, it was stunning.
All day peolpe would come up to me and ask abouthe bird. I think people really wanted me to bring it.

So the show comes to and end and we head back to Chatham. I had a fligh to catch.

My fligh left at 830, I got into my bed about midnight local time. So i had been up for 22 hours. I was spent.

So all in all it was an awsome awsome awsome weekend,. I cam home with a ncie haul and saw stuff i could never has imagined.

The pictures are still being loaded but you can check out the T-bird onthe rm site
RM AUCTIONS (http://www.rmauctions.com/AuctionResults.cfm?SaleCode=MM07)#

its lot 217.

Also I have to applogize to Larry (on here as Zymol). I told him i was going to give him a call since he is in Catham but never got a chance. Literly every waking minuted was filled with cars. (not that im complaining).

So now im back home. Slept inand am getting ready for work.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my weekend and my experience at my first acution

Mike

Al-53
06-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Mike....glad you had a great week end..I know from your other post you were looking forward to going to this event...From the sounds of it you got to see some very nice cars...ones you may never see again.....

Don't you wish you could of hand rubbed some VW or Zymol all over them....LOL...

I hope you took some pictures.....

Al

richy
06-11-2007, 12:30 PM
I live an hour from them. I know Rob and Mike personally and have for years. Rob has a high school education and started out painting cars. I used to work at their auctions in Detroit..my parents still do and were at one this weekend. They also own Dukes Harley right next door. Absolutely 1st class people with no arrogance. They have not forgotten their roots but put World Class winning show cars out of that shop on a consistent basis. Oh, by the way, (Nica..this is for you!!) Their guys are who trained me how to wetsand and use a rotary!! Glad you enjoyed your experience there!

P1et
06-11-2007, 12:56 PM
WOW! That is quite the story. I skimmed over it initially and when I read the "going once, going twice" I thought you were hooking up with some hot blondes or something! But an auction, that's sweet too!

So you bought the '55 Ford for $55,000? That's a ton of money! You're a baller my friend!

Jimmie
06-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Congratulations on your car Mike. She's a beauty.
Enjoyed reading the story of your weekend. Awesome. Hope to see more pictures of your car in the future.

CalgaryDetail
06-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Al- I sure do wish I could detail those cars. Alot of them had swirls. I guees there isnt the desire to spend hours on each car. But with a little polish they could looks awsome
richy- Rob Myers is a very nice guy. Heck he even came over to shake mt hand and congrauate me. That was very cool. Yes he owns the harley dealership next to the restoration shop. We didnt have time to check it out though. Its intresting how grounded Chatham is. There are lots of blue collar average joes (nothing wrong with that just a statemenf of fact) but there are also some very very very wealthy people, yet that all seem to be very grounded and down to earth. its nice to see.
Also you will have to ask your parents about me lol. not to sounds egotistical, but i created a buzz. I dont think its eveyday a 19 year old gets to do the bidding. (even if it was a proxy bid)

P1et- Ok ill admit it. I didnt pay for the car. Im not that big of a baller. It was my dad, and will be my moms car for legal purposes. However, my dad travels alot and drives the jag golfing, my mom will be afraid to drive it so it will have to get its work out from me. Shucks Eh... one day though it will be under my name and in my garage.

jimmie-Thanks. I apopricate that

And there are alot of pictures. I have a disk with about 500 so I need to go through and pull some out. Im actully working on that right now. Dont worry I have a TON to post.

Nica
06-11-2007, 02:16 PM
CalgaryDetail - That is one weekend, I remember you were telling me about the trip but it sure came quick...congrats buddy with the new purchase...we got to get together and detail it...well if you let me get near it ;) I'll understand if you don't let me touch it hehehehehe :D

All joking a side buddy that is one sweet weekend. Sounds like you and I had a very good weekend.

Thanks for sharing your experiance bro, so looking forward to the pictures.

richy - I'm a little confused buddy, what exactly was for me?

I live an hour from them. I know Rob and Mike personally and have for years. Rob has a high school education and started out painting cars. I used to work at their auctions in Detroit..my parents still do and were at one this weekend. They also own Dukes Harley right next door. Absolutely 1st class people with no arrogance. They have not forgotten their roots but put World Class winning show cars out of that shop on a consistent basis. Oh, by the way, (Nica..this is for you!!) Their guys are who trained me how to wetsand and use a rotary!! Glad you enjoyed your experience there!

joe.p
06-11-2007, 03:08 PM
glad to see you had a good experience

richy
06-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Nica..in a post a while back, I had mentioned that I was trained by some very good people. You had said at the time that you wished you could recieive training like that. I did not elaborate at the time as to who it was that trained me..that's all buddy.

Nica
06-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Nica..in a post a while back, I had mentioned that I was trained by some very good people. You had said at the time that you wished you could recieive training like that. I did not elaborate at the time as to who it was that trained me..that's all buddy.

Wow are you serious...you got trained by them...wow...that's incredable...man I need to come visit you :D...um..no joke....how about I crash at your place...heck I'll settle for the garge ;).

All joking a side, you are one fortunet detailer. I know people that have tried to get trained by them and nope, not accepted. I know people willing to pay to be trained by the people that trained you...wow...very nice. Okay that explains the details...oh that's it your on my buddy list now...expect lots of questions coming your way ;)

Surfer
06-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Duesenbergs rock, when I was growing up my familly was friends with a large Dusie collector, Rick Carrol. He and his daughter died in an accident but we were at the auction at Sotheby's where they were selling his collection of Dusies. I still have one of th eposters of a couple of his Dusies with the news article still attached to the back (I don't even remember how many years its been), I'll have to get a pic up, I love Duesenberg's. 1K bucks says if I pulled up to a club or restaurant, Lambos, Bentley's, Rolls blah blah wouldn't get 1/4 the attention the Dusie will...pure class.

CalgaryDetail
06-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Duesenbergs rock, when I was growing up my familly was friends with a large Dusie collector, Rick Carrol. He and his daughter died in an accident but we were at the auction at Sotheby's where they were selling his collection of Dusies. I still have one of th eposters of a couple of his Dusies with the news article still attached to the back (I don't even remember how many years its been), I'll have to get a pic up, I love Duesenberg's. 1K bucks says if I pulled up to a club or restaurant, Lambos, Bentley's, Rolls blah blah wouldn't get 1/4 the attention the Dusie will...pure class.

I agree, there is somthing abouthe style and grace of a duesy. its like it knows its amazing and dose not car who knows it.

It was cool to see the Mars Duesenberg. AS a fan Im sure you can understand the importance and rarilty of such an event.

CalgaryDetail
06-12-2007, 12:08 AM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Calgarydetail/RM%20t-bird/IMG_5009.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Calgarydetail/RM%20t-bird/IMG_5030.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Calgarydetail/RM%20t-bird/IMG_5022.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Calgarydetail/RM%20t-bird/IMG_5041.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Calgarydetail/RM%20t-bird/IMG_5034.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Calgarydetail/RM%20t-bird/IMG_5056.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Calgarydetail/RM%20t-bird/IMG_5062.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Calgarydetail/RM%20t-bird/IMG_5068.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Calgarydetail/RM%20t-bird/IMG_5070.jpg

Surfer