PDA

View Full Version : Klasse for new car?

eyedoc
08-20-2013, 12:55 AM
I have a 2 month old dark metalic blue (Storm Blue) Altima. The paint is very shiny but it has some minor swirls probably from the dealer's washing and maybe my own. There also are light water spots on hood and trunk that are visible at some angles. I plan to clay bar first.
My experience is hand/ orbital polishing with Meguire's Gold Class wax on my previous car.
Questions:
1. Does KAIO need to be done by machine to correct minor swirls, etc?
2. Should I use my orbital polisher with terry cloth bonnets, or only if I can find microfiber bonnets?
3. Should I take it to a shop for initial polishing?
Thank you for all the information.

Firefighter
08-20-2013, 08:00 AM
In my experience, Klasse all in one will help with VERY light swirls and/or water spots, but You will need to apply it with a DA polisher and light cutting pad.

My suggestion would be a quality swirl remover with a DA and then follow up with Klasse.

BradsDetailing
08-20-2013, 08:07 AM
KAIO is a chemical polish and as said before will remove very light swirling. It's better for oxidation and water spots. Doubtful it will remove swirls very easily. You may want to try a polish or compound like m105/m205.

Also, from my experience, removing swirls is a whole lot easier by machine.

If you do polish, consider a coating instead of a wax to help maintain your newly polished ride and help prevent any future damage.

ClayR
08-20-2013, 10:06 AM
I would use KAIO with a DA. Either a white or green CSS lake county pad. Make sure to add three coats of Klasse High Gloss Sealant by hand on top of KAIO. Klasse will do a decent job of hiding minor swirls and other very minor defects. It really depends on how picky you are.

I highly recommend the watered down spray detail/removal method for removing Klasse High Gloss as it will make removal extremely easy while leaving a solid protective coat. That is the main complaint (removal) people have with Klasse. Here is a link:

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (KSG) Guide and Review | Ask a Pro Blog (http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/klasse-high-gloss-sealant-glaze-ksg-guide-and-review/)

abwmma
08-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Can someone tell me what should I do a year later. Do I just reapply 3 coats of KSG or I should put down AIO first then KSG?

Klasse Act
08-20-2013, 10:43 AM
In my experience, Klasse all in one will help with VERY light swirls and/or water spots, but You will need to apply it with a DA polisher and light cutting pad.

My suggestion would be a quality swirl remover with a DA and then follow up with Klasse.

Well said and I agree about the 3 coats of KSG when your done with all the prep work, you'll be very happy with the results, just make sure you wait the 12 hrs inbetween coats of KSG, its an acrylic product and needs to cure.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Desertnate
08-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Can someone tell me what should I do a year later. Do I just reapply 3 coats of KSG or I should put down AIO first then KSG?

Since you're doing this on an annual basis, I'd start over after going that long. I do a full detail twice a year, so with the Klasse products that means wash, clay, AIO, and SG coat(s).

Desertnate
08-20-2013, 10:54 AM
KAIO is a chemical polish and as said before will remove very light swirling. It's better for oxidation and water spots. Doubtful it will remove swirls very easily. You may want to try a polish or compound like m105/m205.

Also, from my experience, removing swirls is a whole lot easier by machine.

If you do polish, consider a coating instead of a wax to help maintain your newly polished ride and help prevent any future damage.

I am a long time user/fan of Klasse, however it does have it's limitations. By hand, I've never been able to remove or even cover swirls much using the twins.

I'd follow the advice here and use a real polish to get rid of the swirls and then follow up with the Klasse products.

abwmma
08-20-2013, 02:37 PM
O!! I thought 3 coats will last for a year?

Firefighter
08-20-2013, 02:54 PM
O!! I thought 3 coats will last for a year?

3 coats better last a year ! If not, I've got the wrong product !

BradsDetailing
08-20-2013, 03:19 PM
If you put 15 coats on you won't get 5 years out of it. The more coats you put on doesn't man it will last that many times longer.

I agree that a second or third coat will make it last longer but I would say an entire year's worth. I usually get about 6-8 months out of 2 coats.

Klasse Act
08-20-2013, 03:33 PM
When applying 3x's KSG and expecting it to last a long time I'd wait the 12 hrs between the 1st and 2nd coat and maybe, just maybe, do the 3rd coat a week later. I say this because the first 2 coats surely got good coverage and cure time, the 3rd coat will ensure this w/o a doubt!

As far as making 3x's KSG last a year, well, there's many factors that will go into this, like with just about any other product out there:

-garage kept vs. Outside 24/7

-regular carwashes

-weather conditions

-temps

-maintence inbetween

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

ClayR
08-20-2013, 04:36 PM
The main reason for three coats is the finish steps up to a whole new level. It isn't really about durability but I'm sure it helps in that category as well.