PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Skyline GTR

Pages : [1] 2

hernandez.art13
08-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Hello everybody,

So I had customer contact me, and his Skyline got repainted and the orange peel was never removed.

So he asked me if I can do it, I do feel comfortable removing the orange peel, buffing out, polishing it, Jeweling it, than sealing it.

I have never opti coated a car before but this sounds like it would be his best bet, but I have never done it.

My main concern is, I don't have any insurance and i'd be working out of his garage, because I will be looking for my own place starting next year.

What do you guys recommend? (Insurance wise)

I am reading Renny's Book and this sounds like a Concours Detail,

I talked to my Dad (Body Shop Manager) And he recommended that I don't get involved in that type of work just yet. He said wait until you have a shop, insurance etc...

Opinions...

Here is the car:

af90
08-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Sounds like a lot to try out. Honestly if you've never buffed out orange peel with something like a denim pad, never opti-coated, and never worked on early GT-R's (if painted correctly it may have their self-healing clear coat). I'd recommend them to someone else close to them that you know is reputable or found on here and ask to help out. Better safe, the customer gets it done and respects you, plus you learn from it. Just my opinion.

hernandez.art13
08-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks af90, yeah I used to work at a body shop and wet sanded and buffed out daily, with a wool pad and a Rotary.

I am just not established yet, meaning: my own shop, have my own business name, insurance etc...

So I'll just pass on this one, the BMW, I wet sanded and buffed was a family members car, so it was different.

So if anybody has information of a detailer I can refer him too, pls PM me.

Thank You,
Art

Pureshine
08-19-2013, 09:56 PM
I would never do any work with out insurance on a customers car. For Opti-coat is very easy to apply but getting out orange peel is very different thing.

hernandez.art13
08-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Yeah I feel confident removing the repainted orange peel. But your insurance story came to mind when i was talking to him about his car PureShine.

So I'll pass on this one, so now I am looking for a reputable detailer that I can refer him too

BlackHawk
08-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Gotta have a PTG. I would never remove orange peel without having a general idea of how much paint is there.

And as far as insurance goes, i mean i can see it be useful for people that do this quite a bit, but for a guy that does this once in a while (like me) i cant justify insurance when im not making a whole lot to begin with. Common sense is something you gotta keep in mind as well.

af90
08-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Gotta have a PTG. I would never remove orange peel without having a general idea of how much paint is there.

And as far as insurance goes, i mean i can see it be useful for people that do this quite a bit, but for a guy that does this once in a while (like me) i cant justify insurance when im not making a whole lot to begin with. Common sense is something you gotta keep in mind as well.

And who your clientele is. If your doing mostly friends and friends of friends you can hopefully trust them more; also because you have that personal relationship that they know if they find anything off they won't be afraid to approach you on it respectfully.

hernandez.art13
08-19-2013, 10:41 PM
I have a PTG,

I am not going to build a bad rep. But like I said I am looking to refer him now.

Glowrdr
08-19-2013, 11:21 PM
If it was the customer calling it a Skyline GTR, then you should be safe doing whatever you want with it. If it was you, then I would let someone that knows about cars take care of the detailing

af90
08-19-2013, 11:28 PM
If it was the customer calling it a Skyline GTR, then you should be safe doing whatever you want with it. If it was you, then I would let someone that knows about cars take care of the detailingEh that's a bit rough. It does draw it's homage to the skyline of old. Now the G37/Q50 is the actual Skyline, according to naming in foreign countries.

Glowrdr
08-19-2013, 11:32 PM
True. I guess for a guy that isn't even getting his detailing supplies until tomorrow, I probably don't deserve to call out anyone that has some experience. No hard feelings towards HA, but I do know my Infinitis and a GTR is no Skyline. Happy motoring

hernandez.art13
08-20-2013, 12:22 AM
You guys lost me

Am I HA

Glowrdr
08-20-2013, 05:51 AM
Yeah, I was referring to you when I said no hard feelings. I'm in an G/Z car club and was giving you a hard time about calling the GTR a Skyline (they aren't). Probably a little new around here to start trolling too bad - I'll take it down a notch :xyxthumbs:

FUNX650
08-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Hi Art...

If I was you I'd start a new/different thread and title it:

RE: Looking for a detailer in ..........., California area to:......

You may get more pertinent replies that way.
Just a suggestion.

:)

Bob

PS When I think Skyline...I think Chili!!! :D

hernandez.art13
08-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Yeah, I was referring to you when I said no hard feelings. I'm in an G/Z car club and was giving you a hard time about calling the GTR a Skyline (they aren't). Probably a little new around here to start trolling too bad - I'll take it down a notch :xyxthumbs:

It's ok, I just know the difference between a squirrel and swirl :D